Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Ethan Rosenberg

Default Hebrew

Dear List -.

How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?

Thanks.

Ethan

Archive: 0M3M003YYHG9M710@mta5.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0M3M003YYHG9M710@mta5.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Gary Dale

On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

Dear List -.

How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?

Thanks.

Ethan

Set both the locale and keyboard type.

Archive: 4FA71408.6040108@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA71408.6040108@rogers.com

Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Ethan Rosenberg

At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:

On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

Dear List -.

How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?

Thanks.

Ethan

Set both the locale and keyboard type.

Gary -

Thanks.

How?

Ethan

Archive: 0M3M000FWOEI8440@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0M3M000FWOEI8440@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 AM
Mat Enders

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Ethan Rosenberg <ethros@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List -.
>>>
>>> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ethan
>>>

>> Set both the locale and keyboard type.
>>

> Gary -
>
> Thanks.
>
> How?
>
> Ethan

To set the locales use this web page found with these search terms in
Google how do i change the locale debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

To set the keyboard map use this web page found with these search
terms in Google how do i change the keyboard map debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Maybe next time a little self help would do you well.

--
Mathew E. Enders

"Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just
part of the plumbing. *But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
--Jeremy Allison

Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Ethan Rosenberg

At 11:12 PM 5/6/2012, Mat Enders wrote:

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Ethan Rosenberg <ethros@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List -.
>>>
>>> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ethan
>>>

>> Set both the locale and keyboard type.
>>

> Gary -
>
> Thanks.
>
> How?
>
> Ethan

To set the locales use this web page found with these search terms in
Google how do i change the locale debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

To set the keyboard map use this web page found with these search
terms in Google how do i change the keyboard map debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Maybe next time a little self help would do you well.

--
Mathew E. Enders

=========
Mathew -

Thank you.

I had found both these references. The problem is that I did not
state my question properly. Here is the corrected question:

"How do I install a Hebrew keyboard and Israeli locale and be able to
switch back and forth between English and Hebrew".

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Ethan

Archive: 0M3N003NKNGTJFB0@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0M3N003NKNGTJFB0@mta3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Gary Dale

<ethros@earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List -.
>>>
>>> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ethan
>>>

>> Set both the locale and keyboard type.
>>

> Gary -
>
> Thanks.
>
> How?
>
> Ethan

To set the locales use this web page found with these search terms in
Google how do i change the locale debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

To set the keyboard map use this web page found with these search
terms in Google how do i change the keyboard map debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Maybe next time a little self help would do you well.

--
Mathew E. Enders

=========
Mathew -

Thank you.

I had found both these references. The problem is that I did not
state my question properly. Here is the corrected question:

"How do I install a Hebrew keyboard and Israeli locale and be able to
switch back and forth between English and Hebrew".

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Ethan

You can write a short script to automate the switch.

Archive: 4FA7D50B.7050502@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA7D50B.7050502@rogers.com

Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Ethan Rosenberg

<ethros@earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List -.
>>>
>>> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ethan
>>>

>> Set both the locale and keyboard type.
>>

> Gary -
>
> Thanks.
>
> How?
>
> Ethan

To set the locales use this web page found with these search terms in
Google how do i change the locale debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

To set the keyboard map use this web page found with these search
terms in Google how do i change the keyboard map debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Maybe next time a little self help would do you well.

--
Mathew E. Enders

=========
Mathew -

Thank you.

I had found both these references. The problem is that I did not
state my question properly. Here is the corrected question:

"How do I install a Hebrew keyboard and Israeli locale and be able
to switch back and forth between English and Hebrew".

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Ethan

You can write a short script to automate the switch.

============
Mathew -

Thank you.

I am very much a newbie. Would you please help with the script.

Thanks again.

Ethan

Archive: 0M3N004Y9PVMEVD0@mta5.srv.hcvlny.cv.net">http://lists.debian.org/0M3N004Y9PVMEVD0@mta5.srv.hcvlny.cv.net

Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Gary Dale

<ethros@earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 08:15 PM 5/6/2012, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/12 06:36 PM, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear List -.
>>>
>>> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Ethan
>>>

>> Set both the locale and keyboard type.
>>

> Gary -
>
> Thanks.
>
> How?
>
> Ethan

To set the locales use this web page found with these search terms in
Google how do i change the locale debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Locale

To set the keyboard map use this web page found with these search
terms in Google how do i change the keyboard map debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard

Maybe next time a little self help would do you well.

--
Mathew E. Enders

=========
Mathew -

Thank you.

I had found both these references. The problem is that I did not
state my question properly. Here is the corrected question:

"How do I install a Hebrew keyboard and Israeli locale and be able
to switch back and forth between English and Hebrew".

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Ethan

You can write a short script to automate the switch.

============
Mathew -

Thank you.

I am very much a newbie. Would you please help with the script.

Thanks again.

Ethan

#!/bin/sh
first command as you would type it in (e.g. locale il_he)
second command as you would type it in

You can also use parameters such as:
#!/bin/sh
if "$1" == "e"; then
else
fi

Make sure to chmod the script so that it is executable.

Archive: 4FA7E1DB.2050303@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA7E1DB.2050303@rogers.com

Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, Ethan.

You worte:

> "How do I install a Hebrew keyboard and Israeli locale and be able to
> switch back and forth between English and Hebrew".

You can try to put in

/etc/default$ which keyboard

file something like

XKBLAYOUT="us,fr"
XKBVARIANT="winkeys"
XKBOPTIONS="grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

Here us,fr stands for USNA and French keyboard layers being switched w/
Ctrl-Shift combination. You need to change those us,fr according to
Your need.

Sthu.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 06 May 2012 18:36:06 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

> How do I get Hebrew type both on the screen and on the keyboard?

Localization and locales are nicely and magnificently documented in
Debian Reference guide:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch08.en.html

Greetings,

--