Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Clive Standbridge

Default Splitting digest into separate mails (was OT: Broken digest)

> > The admin will not "repeair the digest", this as been going on
> > for like a decade -- please subscribe the normal way if you care
> > about
> > not breaking threading, this problem will not be going away.
>
> It's broken since some days. I guess you're referring to another issue,
> that can cause that e.g. references aren't correct, e.g. if a user
> replies to the complete digest instead of an independent mail of the
> digest.

You can split the digest into its individual messages, with subjects
and threading intact, using procmail and formail. Or rather, when
currently reported problems with the digest are resolved you should be
able to do it. I used this method successfully a few years ago when I
used to subscribe to the digest.

The procmail recipe is
:0
*^TO_/debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
| formail +1 -ds procmail

You should be able to add procmail into your mail delivery chain if
you receive mail locally, but probably not if you keep mail on a
remote IMAP or webmail server.

I hope this helps.

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 01:58 +0200, an unknown sender wrote:
> > > The admin will not "repeair the digest", this as been going on
> > > for like a decade -- please subscribe the normal way if you care
> > > about
> > > not breaking threading, this problem will not be going away.
> >
> > It's broken since some days. I guess you're referring to another issue,
> > that can cause that e.g. references aren't correct, e.g. if a user
> > replies to the complete digest instead of an independent mail of the
> > digest.
>
> You can split the digest into its individual messages, with subjects
> and threading intact, using procmail and formail. Or rather, when
> currently reported problems with the digest are resolved you should be
> able to do it. I used this method successfully a few years ago when I
> used to subscribe to the digest.
>
> The procmail recipe is
> :0
> *^TO_/debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
> | formail +1 -ds procmail
>
> You should be able to add procmail into your mail delivery chain if
> you receive mail locally, but probably not if you keep mail on a
> remote IMAP or webmail server.
>
> I hope this helps.

Evolution should work too, AFAIK it's only because digest is borked.

- Ralf