Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Brian McKee

Default Adding entries to kicker from commandline

Hi All

I'd like to add a shortcut/alias/launchthingy to the panel on a KDE
desktop from the command line.

I've created a .desktop file, dragged it into the kicker panel and did a
'find' on it - it showed up in .kde/share/apps/kicker/ which seemed to
make sense. But, when I copy that .desktop file to another machine in
the same location - it doesn't show up in the panel - even after logging
in and out. What am I doing wrong?

Comments appreciated,

Brian

Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
"Mumia W.."

I'd like to add a shortcut/alias/launchthingy to the panel on a KDE
desktop from the command line.

I've created a .desktop file, dragged it into the kicker panel and did a
'find' on it - it showed up in .kde/share/apps/kicker/ which seemed to
make sense. But, when I copy that .desktop file to another machine in
the same location - it doesn't show up in the panel - even after logging
in and out. What am I doing wrong?

Comments appreciated,

Brian

I don't know how to do this, but "dcop" probably does. Dcop is the
Desktop Communications Protocol, and the kicker supports it.

Explore kicker's dcop functions by issuing "dcop kicker" from a konsole.

On the 'net there is an introduction to using dcop; you might check that
out.