Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Default AMD 990X on kernels 3.x

Hello,

I installed a new machine for my job. The main config is:

* mainboard: msi 990xa-gd55 (amd 990x chipset)
* cpu: athlon fx 4170
* graphic card: nvidia geforce gtx 550
* sound-card: sb x-fi titanium (mainboard sound-card is disabled)

When using a debian squeeze amd 64, on a kernel 2.6.x, the system runs quite
fine. Except some bugs with the sound card, everything seems to run nice
(but the things not yet supported/recognized like cpu sensors for example).

But when I move to a kernel 3.x (with using wheezy), everything goes bad.
When I could make the system boots it is with a lot of complains.
In any of the situations it could never start x (even with upgrading
every packages in wheezy).

The thing is that it seems on kernel 3.x many of the hardwares that seemed
to be supported on kernel 2.6.y are no more or badly supported.
I have many issues with USB (ie, I cannot make my keyboard recognized but
with using the usb3 port only !), or with the harddrive (some ATA read/
write errors), the network cannot connect to the rooter (complaining that
no ipv6 routers is present) and that no driver can be found to run X.

Has anyone the same problems on such similar config ?
What should I do ? What do you recommand ? I really need to have wheezy
packages, for development purposes.

I can provide some dmesg, xorg.log and other outputs if requested.

Regards.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Ralf Mardorf