Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Richard Owlett

Default netinst.iso - a "learning experience"- Part (-1) Gparted Live

[strange subject line to bind temporally but not logically
related questions ;]

I've been experimenting with Linux install - varying options
of various distributions.
I shrank the Windows partition with Gparted Live without
problem.
Did an unknown number of installs letting installer "du
jour" use free space as it chose.
Between installs - "deleted" current Linux partition and
went on with next experimental install.

At one point an install created 2 partitions in the
contiguous free space. Prior to the next experimental
install I 'deleted' both partitions.

Using Gparted, I could not find a way to create ONE
partition using all the space of the TWO now 'deleted'
partitions.

Were my expectations flawed?
Should Gparted have be capable of that?
A general partitioning question - where would I find
comparative definitions of

[Primary, Extended, and Logical] partitions?

TIA

Archive: 4FA5ABD2.4030108@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FA5ABD2.4030108@cloud85.net

Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 08:30 +0200, an unknown sender wrote:
> Using Gparted, I could not find a way to create ONE
> partition using all the space of the TWO now 'deleted'
> partitions.

For many people it's self-explaining how to do this. If it isn't
self-explaining for you, I recommend to read a manual.

Anyway, if you e.g. has got

[used partition a] [free space x] [used partition b] [free space y]

then move [used partition b] to the left to get

[used partition a] [used partition b] [free space x and y became 1]

then create a new partition for the free space.

Hth,
Ralf

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 May 2012 17:38:10 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

(...)

> Using Gparted, I could not find a way to create ONE partition using all
> the space of the TWO now 'deleted' partitions.

What does Gparted now say? How it detects the hard disk partitions? Is
there any allocatable free space? Is it contiguous? Can you upload a
snapshot of the disk layout?

> Were my expectations flawed?

Life is a mistery :-)

> Should Gparted have be capable of that?

Generally speaking, yes.

> A general partitioning question
> - where would I find comparative definitions of
> [Primary, Extended, and Logical] partitions?

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

In brief, to all effects both partitions (primaries and logicals, the
extended is a special one) are pretty similar with these usual
restrictions:

- There can be only 4 primary partitions
- There can be only 1 extended partition
- You can have 3 (or less) primary partitions and then add any arbitrary
number of logical partitions (the limit is your hard disk space)
- Some OSes cannot directly boot from a logical partition (*BSD?)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Richard Owlett

Camaleón wrote:

Using Gparted, I could not find a way to create ONE partition using all
the space of the TWO now 'deleted' partitions.

What does Gparted now say? How it detects the hard disk partitions? Is
there any allocatable free space? Is it contiguous? Can you upload a
snapshot of the disk layout?

That portion of my problem "went away" after another install
cycle. I'm purposely going thru multiple install cycles in
order to understand netinst.iso.

[SNIP]

A general partitioning question
- where would I find comparative definitions of
[Primary, Extended, and Logical] partitions?

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

Good article. Various links reminded me of things I learned
decades ago and had drifted out of appropriate pigeon holes.

Thank you