Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Camaleón

Default Radeon HD 3470 dual monitors on Squeeze

On Sat, 05 May 2012 09:05:35 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> I've been trying to get dual monitors to work on my Squeeze system.
> Originally I was using both the onboard video and an additional video
> card. Now I have two monitors hooked up to the same video card (thanks
> to a cheap craigslist purchase).
>
> When I begin booting, both monitors give me a display. But when the
> boot process gets to the point where text display changes (framebuffer
> turning on?) one monitor goes blank and I cannot get it working again,
> even when logged into a GUI.

I'd first try to use "xrandr" and see how it manages. This is the guide I
use when I have to play with the tool:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#How_to_setup_a_dual_monitor

Debian "X-patrol" team :-) has a also a good guide:

http://pkg-xorg.alioth.debian.org/howto/use-xrandr.html

Depending on the DE/WM you are using, you can also configure this from a
GUI utility (at least both GNOME and KDE do have one).

> Both monitors work properly with Knoppix 6.4.4. I tried using the
> Knoppix xorg.conf, but that did not work. Here are some differences
> between Squeeze and Knoppix:
>
> Squeeze Knoppix
> kernel: 2.6.32-5 2.6.37
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon: 1:6.13.1-2 1:6.13.2-1
> libdrm-radeon1: 2.4.23-0.0 2.4.23-1
> radeontool: none 1.6.1-1
>
> I don't know if the above differences are important or not.

Mmm, "radeontool" is an (sic) "utility to control ATI Radeon backlight
functions on laptops" so I guess that having this installed or not won't
make any difference.

> Any ideas why one monitor always goes blank in Squeeze?

If you want to use a static xorg.conf file, you can try to define a
xinerama setup from there. First, ensure the xserver has loaded the
extension correctly:

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -i xinerama /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA

And then try to add the required stanza... IIRC, I had to Google a bit to
find a working configuration file for my dual-head nvidia card, but you
can find many samples out there, for instance:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XineramaHowTo#ATI

Hint: keep your xorg.conf file as small as possible.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 08:18:18AM -0500, Indulekha wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 09:05:35AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I've been trying to get dual monitors to work on my Squeeze system.
> > Originally I was using both the onboard video and an additional video
> > card. Now I have two monitors hooked up to the same video card (thanks
> > to a cheap craigslist purchase).
> >
> > When I begin booting, both monitors give me a display. But when the
> > boot process gets to the point where text display changes (framebuffer
> > turning on?) one monitor goes blank and I cannot get it working again,
> > even when logged into a GUI.
> >
> > Both monitors work properly with Knoppix 6.4.4. I tried using the
> > Knoppix xorg.conf, but that did not work. Here are some differences
> > between Squeeze and Knoppix:
> >
> > Squeeze Knoppix
> > kernel: 2.6.32-5 2.6.37
> > xserver-xorg-video-radeon: 1:6.13.1-2 1:6.13.2-1
> > libdrm-radeon1: 2.4.23-0.0 2.4.23-1
> > radeontool: none 1.6.1-1
> >
> > I don't know if the above differences are important or not.
> >
> > Any ideas why one monitor always goes blank in Squeeze?
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> > --
> >

> Have you tried xrandr?

Yes, but it didn't work. The monitor actually gets no signal, so it
goes into power-save mode (whatever it's called). xrandr knows that I
have two outputs on my video card, but I can't get a display on one of
them.

Also, it does not seem to be monitor-specific or output-specific.

-Rob

Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 09:05:35AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> I've been trying to get dual monitors to work on my Squeeze system.
> Originally I was using both the onboard video and an additional video
> card. Now I have two monitors hooked up to the same video card (thanks
> to a cheap craigslist purchase).
>
> When I begin booting, both monitors give me a display. But when the
> boot process gets to the point where text display changes (framebuffer
> turning on?) one monitor goes blank and I cannot get it working again,
> even when logged into a GUI.
>
> Both monitors work properly with Knoppix 6.4.4. I tried using the
> Knoppix xorg.conf, but that did not work. Here are some differences
> between Squeeze and Knoppix:
>
> Squeeze Knoppix
> kernel: 2.6.32-5 2.6.37
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon: 1:6.13.1-2 1:6.13.2-1
> libdrm-radeon1: 2.4.23-0.0 2.4.23-1
> radeontool: none 1.6.1-1
>
> I don't know if the above differences are important or not.
>
> Any ideas why one monitor always goes blank in Squeeze?

I just tried booting with a Debian Live CD (Squeeze) and got the same
behavior. So at least I'm pretty sure that it's not something specific
to my own configuration / modifications.

-Rob

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 10:23:53AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 09:05:35AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I've been trying to get dual monitors to work on my Squeeze system.
> > Originally I was using both the onboard video and an additional video
> > card. Now I have two monitors hooked up to the same video card (thanks
> > to a cheap craigslist purchase).
> >
> > When I begin booting, both monitors give me a display. But when the
> > boot process gets to the point where text display changes (framebuffer
> > turning on?) one monitor goes blank and I cannot get it working again,
> > even when logged into a GUI.
> >
> > Both monitors work properly with Knoppix 6.4.4. I tried using the
> > Knoppix xorg.conf, but that did not work. Here are some differences
> > between Squeeze and Knoppix:
> >
> > Squeeze Knoppix
> > kernel: 2.6.32-5 2.6.37
> > xserver-xorg-video-radeon: 1:6.13.1-2 1:6.13.2-1
> > libdrm-radeon1: 2.4.23-0.0 2.4.23-1
> > radeontool: none 1.6.1-1
> >
> > I don't know if the above differences are important or not.
> >
> > Any ideas why one monitor always goes blank in Squeeze?
> >
> I just tried booting with a Debian Live CD (Squeeze) and got the same
> behavior. So at least I'm pretty sure that it's not something specific
> to my own configuration / modifications.

I tried installing xserver-xorg-video-radeon from backports, but that
did not help the situation. Then I installed kernel 3.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
from backports and now I have dual monitors working properly. They work
with gnome-display-properties and by using xrandr at the command line.

I have not tried "downgrading" the radeon driver back to the version in
stable, so I'm not sure if it was the kernel itself that fixed my
problem or if it was the combination of kernel and radeon driver.

-Rob