Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Charles Kroeger

Default dist-upgrades on sid (was: X server: connection refused SOLVED)

After the dist-upgrade on sid during the 'transitions' I noticed there was
'no' /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at all so I created one

I also added the meta package:

xorg

also there was no xserver-xorg package after the dist-upgrade this was the reason
I was seeing in my error message after startx: /usr/bin/X: not found.

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg doesn't seem to work on sid [here at least]
even with the xserver-xorg package installed

I did not have to change the name of /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig
as was suggested

successful /etc/X11/xorg.conf file can be posted if interested.

--
CK

Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 04 mai 12, 20:07:57, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> After the dist-upgrade on sid during the 'transitions' I noticed there was
> 'no' /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at all so I created one

If you did fine without one before it should work now as well.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Charles Kroeger

On Sun, 06 May 2012 11:30:02 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you did fine without one before it should work now as well.

It is curious to be sure. But when I tried to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf 'after
the dist-upgrade' when startx failed to start the nvidia driver, guess what vim
declared it was a new file. I made a special effort to make sure I had typed the
file name correctly.

dist-upgrade removed a lot of packages related to X including xserver-xorg that
contained a file I needed to have /usr/bin/X

After reinstalling xserver-xorg and xorg for good measure, I didn't get
the ..xserverrc: 3 exec: /usr/bin/X: xinit: giving up error message

anyway, I couldn't get the X back up until I created that /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file again. (a very simple one) but after that, all was once again well.

What do you think happened? I like to think it's sid/experimental walk on the wild
side Debian experience, invigorating if it doesn't go on too long.

--
CK

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 06 mai 12, 22:23:56, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> anyway, I couldn't get the X back up until I created that /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file again. (a very simple one) but after that, all was once again well.

If you want any help with this please attach the full
/var/log/Xorg.0.log when you try to start without any xorg.conf and the
xorg.conf you have now.

> What do you think happened? I like to think it's sid/experimental walk on the wild
> side Debian experience, invigorating if it doesn't go on too long.

I can't give you a better answer than the one from Cyril Brulebois.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Charles Kroeger

On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:50:01 +0200
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 06 mai 12, 22:23:56, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> >
> > anyway, I couldn't get the X back up until I created that /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > file again. (a very simple one) but after that, all was once again well.
>
> If you want any help with this please attach the full
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log when you try to start without any xorg.conf and the
> xorg.conf you have now.
>
> > What do you think happened? I like to think it's sid/experimental walk on the
wild > > side Debian experience, invigorating if it doesn't go on too long.

> I can't give you a better answer than the one from Cyril Brulebois.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

humm..well yes I appreciate what you say and I did read the links in the Cyril
Brulebois post. (X11 and xorg in transition) I examined ..../log/Xorg.0. after the
first failure of the 'startx' command (to bring up nvidia-glx) there was some
interesting attempts of X trying to load non-existent 'modules' like 'nv' 'nouveau'
'vesa' etc. Since this log gets recreated each time one runs startx, I put back
some missing packages (removed by the dist-upgrade) then ran startx again and got a
different set of errors but still no X. This is when (from reading other post on
the list) realized I didn't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, so I recreated it and
my problem was resolved i.e. SOLVED.

Thanks for your reply

--
CK