Old 05-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Camaleón

Default problem with video display in X

On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:54:45 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> i have just installed Debian 6
> it has problem with my video card
> i have to set to 15 bit with /etc/X11/xorg.conf if i use 16 bit or 32
> bit, the monitor shows incorrectly and i have to press power button to
> shutdown

Please, attach/upload your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" configuration file.

> I attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (now I go to sleep. (I will replay later, Thanks!))

Thanks, I put here what I find relevant (in no special order):

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 1002:5446:1002:0008 ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro
Ultra TF rev 0, Mem @ 0xd8000000/67108864, 0xdfdfc000/16384, I/O @
0x0000a800/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072

Okay, that's your VGA. Quite old, right? :-)

(WW) R128(0): Can't determine panel dimensions, and none specified.
Disabling programming of FP registers.
(WW) R128(0): Direct rendering disabled

(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected
(EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed (depth 15 not supported).
[dri] Disabling DRI.

Those warnings and errors could be becasue of bad/wrong settings in the
xorg.conf file. What I would do is:

1/ Rename your current "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.orig"
and let Xorg to make an educated guess on your VGA.

2/ If the above does not work, you can try to reconfigure Xorg again
(dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg).

Before doing anything, be sure to have a copy of the current working "/
etc/X11/xorg.conf" file and put it in a safe place, just in case.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Long Wind

Thank Camaleón!

I add xorg.conf to /etc/X11/
when I find X doesn't work.

Anyway I attach it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Long Wind

Thank Camaleón!

I install debian 6 and find X doesn't work,
so I add xorg.conf to /etc/X11/

Anyway I attach it.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Long Wind

In lenny it works well
so I attach the two files from lenny

hopefully they can helpful

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:19:42 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> Thank Camaleón!
>
> I add xorg.conf to /etc/X11/
> when I find X doesn't work.

You added "what" to "where?"

Sorry, I can't understand that phrase :-?

> Anyway I attach it.

Xorg seems to be happier in Lenny so maybe something have changed in
between that makes it now to fail.

Okay, so you can start with the simplest of the steps and proceed with
the first option I suggested (rename the current "xorg.conf" and restart
the computer to let the X server automatically detects the card's
capabilities) and then tell us how it goes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Long Wind

I have some important finding
I attach the X log when it doesn't work
the last 4 lines in the log seem to repeat forever:

(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...
(EE) R128(0): R128CCEWaitForIdle: CCE stop -9
(EE) R128(0): R128CCEWaitForIdle: CCE start -9
(EE) R128(0): R128CCEWaitForIdle: CCE idle -9

When I shutdown by pressing power button
and restart my PC, I find the log file is about 70 M !

Where are experts? Please Help! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Long Wind

On 5/4/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:19:42 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
>

> Xorg seems to be happier in Lenny so maybe something have changed in
> between that makes it now to fail.
>
> Okay, so you can start with the simplest of the steps and proceed with
> the first option I suggested (rename the current "xorg.conf" and restart
> the computer to let the X server automatically detects the card's
> capabilities) and then tell us how it goes.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

I install debian 6 and find X doesn't work,
so I add the xorg.conf file to the /etc/X11 directory.
the xorg.conf maybe from lenny (my memory is poor)

Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:54:45 -0400, Long wrote in message
<CAB-gxZBmx_yvYZGZBjHMJZe1rV9MPDUg11z=0UC0XvyHuhz7ew@ma il.gmail.com>:

> i have just installed Debian 6
> it has problem with my video card
> i have to set to 15 bit with /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> if i use 16 bit or 32 bit,

..chk'ed your logs, your ATI Rage 128 Pro should work
best with 24bit colors, these _are_ 24bit cards.

..a few years back, before I got my first Radeon, I pushed an 8MB
mach64 card to well past 1600x1200 to its maximum resolution, but
I believe it was less than 2048x1536x24bpp@43Hz.
My Radeons all run at 2048x1536x32bpp@what ever the crt can handle,
with one exception, the laptop I use to write this message,
1920x1200x32bpp@60Hz.

> the monitor shows incorrectly

..smeared psychedelics, or just darkness?

> and i have to press power button to shutdown

.._much_ easier to ssh into the machine from
another machine on your lan.

> I attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (now I go to sleep. (I will replay later, Thanks!))

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:29:02 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> On 5/4/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:19:42 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
>>

>> Xorg seems to be happier in Lenny so maybe something have changed in
>> between that makes it now to fail.
>>
>> Okay, so you can start with the simplest of the steps and proceed with
>> the first option I suggested (rename the current "xorg.conf" and
>> restart the computer to let the X server automatically detects the
>> card's capabilities) and then tell us how it goes.
>>
> I install debian 6 and find X doesn't work,

Better if you provide the X log for this error or tell us more about what
does not work, what are you seeing in the screen, what error..
something :-)

Remember that if X is not available or crashes you usually can still jump
to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and work from there. An X server is just
another non-vital piece of the whole puzzle that is your system.

> so I add the xorg.conf file to the /etc/X11 directory. the xorg.conf
> maybe from lenny (my memory is poor)

The X settings that once worked for Lenny can fail in Squeeze. You better
reconfigure the xorg server to generate a good "xorg.conf" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Long Wind

it seems that experts are few
I find vesa driver can work
anyway it's linux
sometime i put up with this and that
sometime i have to solve this or that problem on my own
expert help isn't always freely available.

I'll leave the list
Please reply to longwind2009@gmail.com