Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Martin McCormick

Default Safe-upgrade, My Worst Nightmare has Occurred.

Several weeks ago, I upgraded from lenny to squeeze and
was unaware of the removal of volatile so, after removing that
line from /etc/apt/sources.list, I did

aptitude update and then aptitude safe-upgrade.

It pulled in a huge number of packages and appeared to
be doing fine until it got to the point where it was changing
the labels for the devices it boots from. It reported the labels
for /dev/hda which is the boot drive and /dev/sdb which is an
un-mounted drive that I mount each night for backups so that one
isn't even mounted right now.

After reporting what device label it was going to use,
it print <OK>. I hit enter and absolutely nothing has happened
since.

I can still ssh in to the system and see that /etc/fstab
has not yet been rewritten but it looks like safe-upgrade is
stuck.

Is there any way to make safe-upgrade at least attempt
to go to the next task or at least report why it is stuck?

This is why we make backups. I'm glad of that but it
will take a lot of time to get things back to normal again.

Martin McCormick