Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Riccardo Romoli

Default Macbook pro re-mapping single key

Hi to all,
I'm a newbie of Debian but using the Debian-Wiky I was able to install Debian 6 as single boot, on my MacBookPro (v.3.1). The only problem I notice, till now...., is about the Alt key. I bought the computer as used from a German guy ignoring that the keyboard has the particularity to has only the left Alt key instead of two. So the right Alt key is replaced by a second ENTER and the left Alt key is used as Meta key instead of Option key.
I tried to configure the keyboard with the graphical interface but I wasn't able solve my problem. If, for example I press Alt+Tab, I was able to switch between the different windows, but the Alt key doesn't work both in the various text editors (emacs, gedit...) and in the terminal, to type the extra character such as tilde, square brackets...
I think I should re-map my keyboard replacing the extra ENTER with the Alt(Option) key but I have no idea how to do this.
Do you have any suggestion?
Best Ricardo

Sent from iPod

Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Mark Allums

[...]

Unhelpful, but possibly a good suggestion? :

When away from home base, remapping would be preferable, but at home,
you might get a full-sized PC keyboard that works the way you expect.
You would have to re-configure the key layout every time you switched,
but it's something to consider.

Archive: 4FA1E6AC.30209@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA1E6AC.30209@allums.com

Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Indulekha

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 09:00:12PM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 5/2/2012 5:05 PM, Riccardo Romoli wrote:
> >Hi to all,
> >
> >I'm a newbie of Debian but using the Debian-Wiky I was able to install
> >Debian 6 as single boot, on my MacBookPro (v.3.1). The only problem I
> >notice, till now...., is about the Alt key. I bought the computer as
> >used from a German guy ignoring that the keyboard has the particularity
> >to has only the left Alt key instead of two. So the right Alt key is
> >replaced by a second ENTER and the left Alt key is used as Meta key
> >instead of Option key.
> >
> >I tried to configure the keyboard with the graphical interface but I
> >wasn't able solve my problem. If, for example I press Alt+Tab, I was
> >able to switch between the different windows, but the Alt key doesn't
> >work both in the various text editors (emacs, gedit...) and in the
> >terminal, to type the extra character such as tilde, square brackets...
> >
> >I think I should re-map my keyboard replacing the extra ENTER with the
> >Alt(Option) key but I have no idea how to do this.
> >
> >Do you have any suggestion?

Install the package xev if you don't already have it, and read the
man page. Xev will allow you to see which key generates what keycode.
Won't help in the console, but using an xwindows environment you can
remap your keys as you wish using xmodmap. (read "man xmodmap").
Sorry for the overgeneralization, but I haven't had the need to do this
in a few years, so only vaguely recall what I did...

> When away from home base, remapping would be preferable, but at
> home, you might get a full-sized PC keyboard that works the way you
> expect. You would have to re-configure the key layout every time you
> switched, but it's something to consider.

No problem, you just use shell aliases (or little scripts) and have
them point to (for example) .xmodmap0 and xmodmap1, as replacements
for the standard xmodmap. Create keybindings to switch from one to the
other in your window manager, and at the stroke of a key you can switch
from one layout to the other.

I know this is all very general and probably sounds dreadfully opaque,
but once you have the actual keycodes if you need more help just come back
and post the details.

Here's the xev output for my "Return" key, just to show you what to look
for. It's different on different keyboards, so this is only an example:

KeyRelease event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
root 0x128, subw 0x0, time 20931520, (-6,197), root15,331),
state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
" XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
XFilterEvent returns: False

So when you see something similar for each key you want to redefine,
you know you're on to something.

Good luck!

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Riccardo Romoli

Hi, thanks for reply.
Using xev this is what I obtained from the key I would like to re-map:

KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,

* *root 0x12d, subw 0x0, time 778257, (752,-224), root833,354),

* *state 0x0, keycode 104 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,

" * XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "

* *XFilterEvent returns: False

Can you paste the response of your right ALT (Alt Gr) so I can understand which is its keycode?

Best
Ricca

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120503034212.GA6321@radhesyama

Old 05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Indulekha

(NOTE: please reply inline, so as to preserve the discussion
for the archive. Thanks!)

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 11:56:07AM +0200, Riccardo Romoli wrote:
> Hi, thanks for reply.
> Using xev this is what I obtained from the key I would like to re-map:
> KeyRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
> root 0x12d, subw 0x0, time 778257, (752,-224), root833,354),
> state 0x0, keycode 104 (keysym 0xff8d, KP_Enter), same_screen YES,
> " XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (0d) "
> XFilterEvent returns: False
> Can you paste the response of your right ALT (Alt Gr) so I can
> understand which is its keycode?

You just use xev to get that, as you did above for enter.
The codes for mine are not useful to you, I only posted
that to give an idea what to look for.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Riccardo Romoli

Hi,
but my problem is that I haven't the key I need on my keyboard! So how can I find the code with xev if I haven't the key to generate the code itself?

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120504151713.GA8181@radhesyama

Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Indulekha

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 05:29:58PM +0200, Riccardo Romoli wrote:
> Hi,
> but my problem is that I haven't the key I need on my keyboard! So how
> can I find the code with xev if I haven't the key to generate the code
> itself?

You sure are making me edit a lot by posdting your replies
your replies at the top...

But I apologise, apparently I was not clear enough.
You want to get the keycodes from the keys you're hoping
to reassign, not the keys that are what you want already.
So for instance, if I want to change "right alt" to "enter",
I'd need to determine the keycode for right alt.
Hope this is more clear.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Indulekha

As a matter of fact, I'm on an incredibly slow, painfully
unresposive dialup connection -- so I apologise, but it
may be I can't get to this in anything like a timely fashion.
Your favorite search engine is your friend, however.
I use and recommend duckduckgo.com, which showed me
these links below. I scanned them, and they look pretty good...
Best of luck!

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4485/reassign-ctl-and-alt-keys-xmodmap-error

http://superuser.com/questions/2194/remap-keys-in-linux

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Riccardo Romoli

Hi,
I found the easiest way to solve the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/261573

Regards
Riccardo

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120504162932.GA9385@radhesyama

Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Indulekha

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 07:05:43PM +0200, Riccardo Romoli wrote:
> Hi,
> I found the easiest way to solve the problem:
> [1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config/+bug/2615
> 73
> Regards
> Riccardo

If that's the punchline, I must have missed something.
Oh well, as long as you're happy....

--
Indulekha