FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Joey L
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
latest kernel on debian squeeze.

but apparently it is not as easy as i thought.
does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do this ?

thanks
mjh


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAK3ER7sraeBiwaTtgcrYUO6hi8jSMJaumupA9uwVDWaNVe8zH w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAK3ER7sraeBiwaTtgcrYUO6hi8jSMJaumupA9uwVDWaNVe8zH w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Gary Dale
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On 02/05/12 03:33 PM, Joey L wrote:

I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
latest kernel on debian squeeze.

but apparently it is not as easy as i thought.
does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do this ?

thanks
mjh



To do an upgrade:
- apt-get update
- apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade (your choice - I prefer the
latter)


To upgrade to the latest kernel on kernel.org:
Not recommended! The kernel interface changes all the time. Upgrading to
a later kernel than your distro was built against can cause problems. If
you need a later kernel for some reason, switch to a more up-to-date
distro. For example, switching from Squeeze to Wheezy is a simple matter
of running:

sed -i "s/stable/testing/g" /etc/apt/sources-list
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

You can also switch to Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any other distro that
upgrades on a faster release cycle. However, by doing so, you will be
losing out on Debian's amazing stability and reliability. The other
distros are quite good, so this isn't usually a big issue, especially if
you came from a Windows environment.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4FA18F53.9080300@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA18F53.9080300@rogers.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Mi, 02 mai 12, 15:33:41, Joey L wrote:
> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
> latest kernel on debian squeeze.

Latest kernel available in Debian or latest kernel released? You may be
interested to know that backports has 3.2 which might be recent enough
for your needs (unspecified).

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Tom H
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/12 03:33 PM, Joey L wrote:
>>
>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
>> latest kernel on debian squeeze.
>>
>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought.
>> does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do this ?


> To do an upgrade:
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade (your choice - I prefer the
> latter)

Yes, if you aren't fully up-to-date.

How about "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade"?


> To upgrade to the latest kernel on kernel.org:
> Not recommended! The kernel interface changes all the time. Upgrading to a
> later kernel than your distro was built against can cause problems. If you
> need a later kernel for some reason, switch to a more up-to-date distro. For
> example, switching from Squeeze to Wheezy is a simple matter of running:
> *sed -i "s/stable/testing/g" /etc/apt/sources-list
> *apt-get update
> *apt-get dist-upgrade

I'm using 3.4-rc5 on a sid box without a hitch so saying that using a
kernel.org kernel isn't recommended is a bit of a stretch.

There's also no need to upgrade to wheezy (which I'd recommend doing
with a few more steps than above). The 3.2 kernel has been backported
to squeeze.


> You can also switch to Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any other distro that upgrades
> on a faster release cycle. However, by doing so, you will be losing out on
> Debian's amazing stability and reliability. The other distros are quite
> good, so this isn't usually a big issue, especially if you came from a
> Windows environment.

No comment.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=SzhvkHKfhFEjJHPqBkQYzCCUgeD19e3N+g4DG+4nre65 A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=SzhvkHKfhFEjJHPqBkQYzCCUgeD19e3N+g4DG+4nre65 A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Camaleˇn
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:

> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the latest
> kernel on debian squeeze.
>
> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a quick
> tutorial on how to do this ?

Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository╣.

However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
"kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here▓).

╣http://backports-master.debian.org/
▓http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jnudqa$78r$8@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jnudqa$78r$8@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Joey L
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

Okay - guys - thanks - i think you convinced me to go with backports
I have added it to my /etc/apt/source-list
and ran apt-get update

What do i do next - i have been googling it ...no luck on how to
install the latest 2.6.X kernel or the latest 3..3.X one.
Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
options - is this possible?
I am sort of new to this..any kind of simple help is appriciated.
thanks again.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Camaleˇn <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:
>
>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the latest
>> kernel on debian squeeze.
>>
>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a quick
>> tutorial on how to do this ?
>
> Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
> Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository╣.
>
> However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
> "kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
> pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here▓).
>
> ╣http://backports-master.debian.org/
> ▓http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleˇn
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jnudqa$78r$8@dough.gmane.org
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAK3ER7u=pF+6L4ex5AkE9OXE_JjNun_1W2XGQ7PHGjGa_NmyM g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAK3ER7u=pF+6L4ex5AkE9OXE_JjNun_1W2XGQ7PHGjGa_NmyM g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Lisi
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Friday 04 May 2012 13:57:16 Joey L wrote:
> Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
> options - is this possible?

Yes, and you can chose from the GRUB menu.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201205041452.38050.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201205041452.38050.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Tom H
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Joey L <mjh2000@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Camaleˇn <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:
>>>
>>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the latest
>>> kernel on debian squeeze.
>>>
>>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a quick
>>> tutorial on how to do this ?
>>
>> Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
>> Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository╣.
>>
>> However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
>> "kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
>> pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here▓).
>>
>> ╣http://backports-master.debian.org/
>> ▓http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en
>
> Okay - guys - thanks - i think you convinced me to go with backports
> I have added it to my /etc/apt/source-list
> and ran apt-get update
> What do i do next - i have been googling it ...no luck on how to
> install the latest 2.6.X kernel or the latest 3..3.X one.
> Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
> options - is this possible?

You're welcome.

Did you add "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports
squeeze-backports main" to your apt sources?

Yes, you can have 2.6.32 and 3.2.0 coexist.

Search for "linux-image" to see all installable kernels.

3.3 isn't available from backports; 3.2 is available because it's the
kernel that'll be used for wheezy. 3.3 is available from the
experimental repo.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAOdo=SwFj_vL3QVOGYARRZ-PqjxN0rm87QxJvjvxYwKNgSYfXg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAOdo=SwFj_vL3QVOGYARRZ-PqjxN0rm87QxJvjvxYwKNgSYfXg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Camaleˇn
 
Default i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Fri, 04 May 2012 08:57:16 -0400, Joey L wrote:

(please, reply at the bottom)

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Camaleˇn <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 May 2012 15:33:41 -0400, Joey L wrote:
>>
>>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
>>> latest kernel on debian squeeze.
>>>
>>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought. does anyone have a
>>> quick tutorial on how to do this ?
>>
>> Debian does not provide compiled kernels for the released versions (now
>> Squeeze) other than the ones located at the backports repository╣.
>>
>> However, you can always grab whatever kernel you prefer from the
>> "kernel.org" site and compile the sources by yourself which is also
>> pretty easy (detailed instrucctions can be found here▓).
>>
>> ╣http://backports-master.debian.org/
>> ▓http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s06.html.en

> Okay - guys - thanks - i think you convinced me to go with backports
> I have added it to my /etc/apt/source-list and ran apt-get update
>
> What do i do next - i have been googling it ...no luck on how to install
> the latest 2.6.X kernel or the latest 3..3.X one.

You can laucnh Synaptic and search for "linux-image-2.6-686 (3.2+44~bpo60
+1)" which will trigger the latest kernel available from the backports.

> Can they both live on the same box ??? I can juist different grub menu
> options - is this possible?

Yes, you can have both kernels installed (that's even recommended) and
boot from either of them. GRUB will set as default the latest kernel to
boot from the menu, but you can always change this afterwards.

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: jo0tru$3du$10@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jo0tru$3du$10@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ę2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org