FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Jon Dowland
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 08:45:25PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i resize the LV from 300 GB to 400 GB

Exactly what command did you type, and what feedback did you get?



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120502154926.GA6770@debian">http://lists.debian.org/20120502154926.GA6770@debian
 
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Claudius Hubig
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

Hello Muhammad,

Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> ata3.01 : status: { DRDY ERR }
> ata3.01 : error : { UNC }
> ata3.01 : exception emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
> ata3.01 : BMDMA stat 0x64
> ata3.01 : failed command : read DMA

This looks as if either the hard drive or the connection thereto is
faulty. Try to connect the HDD to another SATA port. I don’t think it
has anything to do with your resizing.

Best regards & good luck,

Claudius
--
Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST here in DUSSELDORF!!
http://chubig.net telnet nightfall.org 4242
 
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

sorry, if i am miss leading with the error . actually i belive that
this must have happen. by the lvresize command. actually every thing
was working nice and smooth. here is the quick story.

first i ran the command.

1. i resize the old partition
"lvresize -L 400GB "VG-NAME with PATH"


2 then i ran resize command
resize2fs -p /dev/mapper/vg--800-Archive400GB

but gives me error and tells me to run "e2fsck -f "

3. so i rant

e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/vg--800-Archive400GB

which was fine and even vg display and df -h showing the same size so
i got relaxed that things are fine.

4. then i created another one for quota assignment to all the users

lvcreate -L 245GB "VG-NAME AND path"-n "name"

then i transfer the ext4 file system to it. i dont remeber the command
but it was
something.ext4 "lv complete path"

5 and i enabled the quota in fstab alog with the UUID to mount it on boot.

6. then i enabled kernal moudule.

modprob qutoa_v2
echo qutoa_v2 /etc/modules (do you think it could be the module issue?)

7. for testing i mount the drive by mount usrquota "source path" "mount point"

so it worked find .
..

now next reboot problem started.

thats the whole story..

Thanks

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 08:45:25PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> i resize the LV from 300 GB to 400 GB
>
> Exactly what command did you type, and what feedback did you get?
>
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120502154926.GA6770@debian
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAGWVfM=Tq_oTKZd5S4Sf3a80kXTqP5GhFY1i5Z4=ABxaJCnCR g@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfM=Tq_oTKZd5S4Sf3a80kXTqP5GhFY1i5Z4=ABxaJCnCR g@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

i tried every single possibility regarding cables i have 3 HD i tried
the smaller HDs cable it gives me the same error.


actually i also installed quota module by modeprobe qutoa_v2 and echo
qutoa_V2 >> /etc/moudels

in fstab i added the UUID and ursquota keyword to for quota support.

and the next start was very unfortunate .

actually it is showing me the error on the point where RAID md devices
are checked

when i unpluged the problem drive it shows me md1 md2 and md0 status
and after few logs it give me the problem but when plug the drive
back, on the stage where it suppose to show the SW raid1 status it
shows me this error.


is there any possibility i can at least get the data back. i am 100%
sure it is not a hardware problem. it has some configuration related
problem.


Thanks





On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Claudius Hubig <debian_1205@chubig.net> wrote:
> Hello Muhammad,
>
> Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ata3.01 : status: { DRDY ERR }
>> ata3.01 : error : *{ UNC }
>> ata3.01 : exception emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
>> ata3.01 : BMDMA stat 0x64
>> ata3.01 : failed command : read DMA
>
> This looks as if either the hard drive or the connection thereto is
> faulty. Try to connect the HDD to another SATA port. I don’t think it
> has anything to do with your resizing.
>
> Best regards & good luck,
>
> Claudius
> --
> Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST here in DUSSELDORF!!
> http://chubig.net * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *telnet nightfall.org 4242


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAGWVfM=mZy29_s0cUyv3GDZA=Czvmxg4h_q6DBuKRnbXVVzGL Q@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfM=mZy29_s0cUyv3GDZA=Czvmxg4h_q6DBuKRnbXVVzGL Q@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

at least there should be a way to reach the command prompt. is there
any way to ignore this error and reach the command prompt so i can
just copy the necessary data.

Thanks.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAGWVfMk8GJw_roLcBzYaV9zK2c4+XtjjqRpGuVyOev3w+kEGp A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMk8GJw_roLcBzYaV9zK2c4+XtjjqRpGuVyOev3w+kEGp A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Arnt Karlsen
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:07:14 +0500, Muhammad wrote in message
<CAGWVfM=mZy29_s0cUyv3GDZA=Czvmxg4h_q6DBuKRnbXVVzG LQ@mail.gmail.com>:

> i tried every single possibility regarding cables i have 3 HD i tried
> the smaller HDs cable it gives me the same error.

..good, means hardware failure. Try another machine.

>
> actually i also installed quota module by modeprobe qutoa_v2 and echo
> qutoa_V2 >> /etc/moudels
>
> in fstab i added the UUID and ursquota keyword to for quota support.
>
> and the next start was very unfortunate .
>
> actually it is showing me the error on the point where RAID md devices
> are checked
>
> when i unpluged the problem drive it shows me md1 md2 and md0 status
> and after few logs it give me the problem but when plug the drive
> back, on the stage where it suppose to show the SW raid1 status it
> shows me this error.
>
>
> is there any possibility i can at least get the data back. i am 100%
> sure it is not a hardware problem. it has some configuration related
> problem.

..yes, and it could even be both. If your data is important,
keep it safe and away from that machine until you know it is
ok. E.g. flaky grid power can eat your power supply enough
to e.g. kill a file system journal or leave it running on a
read-only fs, force feeding you "interesting challenges."

>
> Thanks
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Claudius Hubig
> <debian_1205@chubig.net> wrote:
> > Hello Muhammad,
> >
> > Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ata3.01 : status: { DRDY ERR }
> >> ata3.01 : error : *{ UNC }
> >> ata3.01 : exception emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
> >> ata3.01 : BMDMA stat 0x64
> >> ata3.01 : failed command : read DMA
> >
> > This looks as if either the hard drive or the connection thereto is
> > faulty. Try to connect the HDD to another SATA port. I don’t think
> > it has anything to do with your resizing.
> >
> > Best regards & good luck,
> >
> > Claudius
> > --
> > Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST here in
> > DUSSELDORF!! http://chubig.net
> > *telnet nightfall.org 4242
>
>


--
..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
best case, worst case, and just in case.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120502200712.18a5940a@celsius.lan">http://lists.debian.org/20120502200712.18a5940a@celsius.lan
 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:07:14 +0500, Muhammad wrote in message
> <CAGWVfM=mZy29_s0cUyv3GDZA=Czvmxg4h_q6DBuKRnbXVVzG LQ@mail.gmail.com>:
>
>> i tried every single possibility regarding cables i have 3 HD i tried
>> the smaller HDs cable it gives me the same error.
>
> ..good, means hardware failure. *Try another machine.
>
>>
>> actually i also installed quota module by modeprobe qutoa_v2 and echo
>> qutoa_V2 *>> /etc/moudels
>>
>> in fstab i added the UUID and ursquota keyword to for quota support.
>>
>> and the next start was very unfortunate .
>>
>> actually it is showing me the error on the point where RAID md devices
>> are checked
>>
>> when i unpluged the problem drive it shows me md1 md2 and md0 status
>> and after few logs it give me the problem *but when plug the drive
>> back, on the stage where it suppose to show the SW raid1 status it
>> shows me this error.
>>
>>
>> is there any possibility i can at least get the data back. i am 100%
>> sure it is not a hardware problem. it has some configuration related
>> problem.
>
> ..yes, and it could even be both. *If your data is important,
> keep it safe and away from that machine until you know it is
> ok. *E.g. flaky grid power can eat your power supply enough
> to e.g. kill a file system journal or leave it running on a
> read-only fs, force feeding you "interesting challenges."

can you please make it easy what you have :P i am not that good in english :-D

what do you mean by readonly FS. and what do you mean by kill a file system.

i am a newbie can you make it easy please

but right now the problem is command prompt. is there any way that
Debian just ignore the error and continue the boot and at least give
me the command prompt where i can just copy all the stuff to USB or
another drive.

but let me shre you. i tried PXE boot via with clonezilla and
different OS drives but keep giving me the same error and not letting
me use the command prompt.

any idea?

Thanks





>
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Claudius Hubig
>> <debian_1205@chubig.net> wrote:
>> > Hello Muhammad,
>> >
>> > Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >> ata3.01 : status: { DRDY ERR }
>> >> ata3.01 : error : *{ UNC }
>> >> ata3.01 : exception emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
>> >> ata3.01 : BMDMA stat 0x64
>> >> ata3.01 : failed command : read DMA
>> >
>> > This looks as if either the hard drive or the connection thereto is
>> > faulty. Try to connect the HDD to another SATA port. I don’t think
>> > it has anything to do with your resizing.
>> >
>> > Best regards & good luck,
>> >
>> > Claudius
>> > --
>> > Like I always say -- nothing can beat the BRATWURST here in
>> > DUSSELDORF!! http://chubig.net
>> > *telnet nightfall.org 4242
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> ..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt Karlsen
> ...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
> *Scenarios always come in sets of three:
> *best case, worst case, and just in case.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120502200712.18a5940a@celsius.lan
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAGWVfMmXUZHb-wD=DRR0As-pMYig8qqsOFXY+UcnSMBsEd-SZQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMmXUZHb-wD=DRR0As-pMYig8qqsOFXY+UcnSMBsEd-SZQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Shane Johnson
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:


On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Shane Johnson

<sdj@rasmussenequipment.com> wrote:

> Muhammad,

> I think we are going to need some mere information please. *You mentioned

> that this is on a raid, correct. *Is your lvm on top of the raid? *Which

> level of raid?



i am using RAID 1



**Where is your /boot mounted or / if boot isn't on it's own

> partition.



i have two drives 320 GB



boot 1 GB and / *(rest of the drive) are on md0 and md 2

sawp md1 (4gb)



i have 1 800 GB drive



RAID 1 *but other drive was absent i was planing to add the other

drive in array in few days but unfortunately this things happen



>*Things I have done in the past, is use a Live CD for same



can you please give me the path of debian live CD iso. actually i was

trying to boot my system with clonzilla live CD lets see if debian can

help.



> version and arch of Debian you are on and if necessary install mdadm and

> lvm2 so that I could try and reconstruct what I had before. *Luckily for me,

> I was one test systems when I buggered things up too much. *It sounds like

> you are on a live system- that makes things harder. *Best of the Worst case

> scenarios from my limited*experience*would be having to restore from



> backups. If you don't have good backups its the worst of the worst and you

> could end up doing a complete restore from scratch).

>

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>>

>> at least there should be a way to reach the command prompt. is there

>> any way to ignore this error and reach the command prompt so i can

>> just copy the necessary data.

>>

>> Thanks.

>>

>>

>> --

>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

>> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact

>> listmaster@lists.debian.org

>> Archive:

>> http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMk8GJw_roLcBzYaV9zK2c4+XtjjqRpGuVyOev3w+kEGp A@mail.gmail.com



>>

>

>

>

> --

> Shane D. Johnson

> IT Administrator

> Rasmussen Equipment

>

>


The path to the CD downloads is*http://www.debian.org/CD/*Pick you poison on how you want to download it. *

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you have 3 disks. *2 320GB disks are mirrored for md0 and then *you have your LVM on top of that. *Then *you have disk 3 as swap (md1).

Where you had the mirror active when you where trying to resize the corruption would probably be on both disks.
I would use the live cd and look at each one*separately*and see if the filesystems on both are the new size or the old. *If you have one that is ok, you can use mdadm to drop the bad disk from the raid then add it back later after you system boots from the good disk so that it becomes the mirror of the good drive. *Otherwise you are going to have to try and use the live cd to try and get to your data. *Reconstruct your system then put back the data you can. *If you aren't using mdadm for your raid and just using LVM then you will access the fstab on the system and point it to the mirrored drive if it is still good.

Good luck Mohammud.
Shane
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Claudius Hubig
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

Hello Muhammad,

Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
> at least there should be a way to reach the command prompt. is there
> any way to ignore this error and reach the command prompt so i can
> just copy the necessary data.

Probably not, because this error means that accessing whatever is
attached to the third SATA port is somehow broken.

You did not answer my previous questions:

1) Do other HDD work at this SATA port?
2) How does this HDD behave at another SATA port, preferably in
another computer?

You could also try to get an external enclosure and connect the HDD
during runtime.

However, I highly doubt that you can ‘just copy’ the necessary data
of this drive.

Best regards,

Claudius

PS: Please do not CC me.
--
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
-- Henry Kissinger
http://chubig.net telnet nightfall.org 4242
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan
 
Default *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Claudius Hubig <debian_1205@chubig.net> wrote:
> Hello Muhammad,
>
> Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>> at least there should be a way to reach the command prompt. is there
>> any way to ignore this error and reach the command prompt so i can
>> just copy the necessary data.
>
> Probably not, because this error means that accessing whatever is
> attached to the third SATA port is somehow broken.
>
> You did not answer my previous questions:
>
> 1) Do other HDD work at this SATA port?

actually i didnt check the SATA port however i change the working HD
SATA port as i already share i have multiple drives in a box so the
drive is showing the same error which shows that problem is not with
sata

> 2) How does this HDD behave at another SATA port, preferably in
> * another computer?

>
> You could also try to get an external enclosure and connect the HDD
> during runtime.

ok ill try this external case suggestion



>
> However, I highly doubt that you can ‘just copy’ the necessary data
> of this drive.

lets hope for the best. however i do have the copy but have to do lots
and lots of work. which i hate now
>
> Best regards,
>
> Claudius
>
> PS: Please do not CC me.
> --
> There cannot be a crisis next week. *My schedule is already full.
> * * * * * * * *-- Henry Kissinger
> http://chubig.net * * * * * * * * * * * * *telnet nightfall.org 4242


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/CAGWVfMk2tYsCejSA6ZemZE2O1W2jJ2YmºNpvoCb7b1NbtXUQ @mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org