Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Lisi

Default Flashplayer on Debian Squeeze.

Hi, all!

I have been trying to get Flashplayer going on my husband's computer. When
the advice on this list and the Debian website failed (as below), i just
deinstalled the lot and downloaded from the Adobe site. According to the
site, the latest version available for Linux is 11, but I seem to have
downloaded 10. :-(

I am going spare on this. Has anyone got any ideas?

I know that I have not given much information on what I have done, since I had
decided just to start again and download from the Adobe website. But I have
worked though all the recent advice on this list and also that on the
relevant page in the Debian wiki.

I would happily start again from the beginning.

Thanks,
Lisi

root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
ERROR: wget failed to download
http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.asc
More information might be available at:
http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
root@Hercules:/home/peter#

Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:36:35PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I have been trying to get Flashplayer going on my husband's computer. When
> the advice on this list and the Debian website failed (as below), i just
> deinstalled the lot and downloaded from the Adobe site. According to the
> site, the latest version available for Linux is 11, but I seem to have
> downloaded 10. :-(
>
> I am going spare on this. Has anyone got any ideas?
>
> I know that I have not given much information on what I have done, since I had
> decided just to start again and download from the Adobe website. But I have
> worked though all the recent advice on this list and also that on the
> relevant page in the Debian wiki.
>
> I would happily start again from the beginning.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi
>
> root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
> ERROR: wget failed to download
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.asc
> More information might be available at:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
> root@Hercules:/home/peter#

I use flashplayer-mozilla from the debian-multimedia repository. It
updates with apt, so you don't need to run a command like
update-flashplugin-nonfree.

-Rob

Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Shane Johnson

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:36:35PM +0100, Lisi wrote:

> Hi, all!

> I have been trying to get Flashplayer going on my husband's computer. *When

> the advice on this list and the Debian website failed (as below), i just

> deinstalled the lot and downloaded from the Adobe site. *According to the

> site, the latest version available for Linux is 11, but I seem to have

> downloaded 10. :-(

> I am going spare on this. *Has anyone got any ideas?

> I know that I have not given much information on what I have done, since I had

> decided just to start again and download from the Adobe website. *But I have

> worked though all the recent advice on this list and also that on the

> relevant page in the Debian wiki.

> I would happily start again from the beginning.

> Thanks,

> Lisi

> root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install

> ERROR: wget failed to download

> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.asc

> More information might be available at:

> * *http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

> root@Hercules:/home/peter#

I use flashplayer-mozilla from the debian-multimedia repository. *It

updates with apt, so you don't need to run a command like

update-flashplugin-nonfree.

-Rob

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120502183310.GB23181@aurora.owens.net

Rob,Do you ever run into problems with it not playing with certain sites? *I tried others (not that one though) and ran into it not playing movies on some sites.

ThanksShane

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 02 May 2012 5:36:35 am Lisi wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I have been trying to get Flashplayer going on my husband's computer. When
> the advice on this list and the Debian website failed (as below), i just
> deinstalled the lot and downloaded from the Adobe site. According to the
> site, the latest version available for Linux is 11, but I seem to have
> downloaded 10. :-(
>
> I am going spare on this. Has anyone got any ideas?
>
> I know that I have not given much information on what I have done, since I
> had decided just to start again and download from the Adobe website. But I
> have worked though all the recent advice on this list and also that on the
> relevant page in the Debian wiki.
>
> I would happily start again from the beginning.
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi
>
> root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
> ERROR: wget failed to download
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.as
>c More information might be available at:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
> root@Hercules:/home/peter#

I add contrib & non-free to my sources.list, use a Debian mirror, from the list of
mirrors. I Install 'flashplugin-nonfree' with a visual package manager to see
what choices I have,

Flash just works here, using Mozilla based browses.

I watch Hulu.com, Amazons streaming service, etc. never had a problems with
anything not playing.

I do make sure that there is no other 'flash' on my system, e.g. Gnash stuff. Make
sure that the aternatives system points to the right flash plugin, just in case
some other flash was on the system previously.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 02/05/12 23:36, Lisi wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I have been trying to get Flashplayer

<snipped>

> Thanks,
> Lisi
>
> root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
> ERROR: wget failed to download
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.asc
> More information might be available at:
> http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
> root@Hercules:/home/peter#

Looks like you encountered server errors.

Seems to be working fine now:-
# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
--2012-05-03 09:54:19--
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.233/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com... 125.56.242.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com|125.56.242.70|:80... connected.
Length: 6916591 (6.6M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `./install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

0K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 0% 76.6K 88s

<snipped - saving my electrons for a lightbulb>

208K 0s
6750K .... 100% 160K=43s

2012-05-03 09:55:04 (156 KB/s) -
`./install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6916591/6916591]

NOTE: Squeeze system, *not* pulled from debian-multimedia

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Lisi

On Thursday 03 May 2012 01:01:57 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 02/05/12 23:36, Lisi wrote:
> > Hi, all!
> >
> > I have been trying to get Flashplayer
[snip]>
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter# update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
> > ERROR: wget failed to download
> > http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.i386.pgp.
> >asc More information might be available at:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
> > root@Hercules:/home/peter#
>
> Looks like you encountered server errors.

Thanks!

> Seems to be working fine now:-
[snip]

Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 01:25:05PM -0600, Shane Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> > I use flashplayer-mozilla from the debian-multimedia repository. It
> > updates with apt, so you don't need to run a command like
> > update-flashplugin-nonfree.
> >
> > -Rob
> >

> Rob,
> Do you ever run into problems with it not playing with certain sites? I
> tried others (not that one though) and ran into it not playing movies on
> some sites.
>
> Thanks
> Shane

No, but I'm not a really heavy user of flash pages. My kids play flash
games and I watch the occasional YouTube video, but that's it. I
don't remember having any problems with it.

-Rob