Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Andrei POPESCU

Default Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

On Mi, 02 mai 12, 06:38:59, Indulekha wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 11:49:00AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > In order to save bandwidth you may want to use IMAP + downloading
> > headers only
> >

> That *is* what I do, as I said I'm stuck using an absurdly slow dial up
> connection. In this part of the country our phone lines are so bad my
> connection speed hovers between 1.5 and 5.9 kbps (no, not a typo)!
> If you've never experienced that, you probably wouldn't understand...

I've started using internet in the times of 33.6 and later 56 kbps,
which is "only" 10 times better. Besides, for some strange reasons my
connection at works is dead-slow sometimes (I'm talking just a few
bytes/s download speeds), so yes, I understand.

> Just opening an imap mailbox with more than a few hundred messages in
> it (with header caching) can take several minutes.
> It's the only real downside to living in this extremely rural area.

You may want to try out something else than mutt, it downloads too much
stuff under certain circumstances (see #496906 and references).

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Indulekha

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:29:45PM +0600, Arif Hossain wrote:
> I received this joe1 msg once...

Ok, well, that actually has nothing to do with me personally, or with the
particular email you replied to, but I'm sorry you received spam.
Please try to post to the list and post appropriately (not top-posting, being
on-topic, and so forth) if possible, as I'm old and feeble and easily confused.
Thanks, and best wishes.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 02 May 2012 14:52:57 Indulekha wrote:
> post appropriately (not top-posting, being
> on-topic, and so forth) if possible, as I'm old and feeble and easily
> confused.

+1 ;-)

Lisi

Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:30:09 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 01 May 2012 at 17:52:50 +0000, Camalen wrote:

>> > I do not understand why Subject: is different from the
>> >
>> > Re: Install a package from testing?
>> >
>> > in your mail at
>> >
>> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/04/msg01825.html
>> >
>> > Also

>> > is puzzling because this is the Message-id: for msg01825.
>>
>> Well, "joe1" was replying to this message:
>
> joe1assistly, surely?

Yes. This is the "from" line where the name is faked to appear to come
from the list:

***
From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
***

> You received the mail a minute afterwards because of your posting >
through gmane. I imagine you will have sufficient other examples to be
> able to check on a pattern.

The only pattern I have is the sender of the posts :-? and after checking
my Gmail Trash folder I can see that I'm still receiving e-mails coming
from that address, generated by this same thread.

> [Snip]
>
>> > Now for dates and times (taken from gmane) of the four posts in that
>> > thread:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> > Coincidence? I'd be looking at something happening in the interaction
>> > between the poster and gmane.
>>
>> I can't really tell.
>
> Classic fence-sitting.

:-)

I can't fight against an unknown source.

I could contact Gmail staff so they can consider removing the account but
I'm afraid that will be of no effect at all. Well, I'll do anyway.

>> It seems that other posters who don't use Gmane are also receiving the
>> messages.
>
> Let them post the headers and bodies then. Whatever is happening at
> gmane I think we can be certain the mails you got (and are still
> getting?) are not from other users on this list.

Still getting, yes.

And yes, I now don't think these messages are coming from users on this
mailing list, it looks more an automatism triggered by our (some?) posts
here but I don't know what could be, tough the common link for those who
receive the e-mails is indeed that we replied to posts here.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Camalen

On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:01:57 -0500, Indulekha wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:39:15PM +0000, Camalen wrote:
>>
>> Blame your mail2news gateway provider then. I don't experience that
>> problem with Gmane :-)
>>
>> Gmane also does a good job when it comes to block the spam it reaches
>> the lists. Oh, oh... now I feel like a "human-advertising" :-P
>>

> Yes, it's having an effect...
> So, do you run leafnode and point it at nntp://news.gmane.org then?

I've never used Leafnode before. Is a NNTP server, right?

Let me take a look:

http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/overview.shtml

Okay, you will have to configure it to fetch the news messages from Gmane
servers and only for the selected groups (not the whole tree) so you can
read the articles locally. For the exact steps, I can't tell, but there
must be some samples on how to proceed at the docs:

/usr/share/doc/leafnode/examples/*
/usr/share/doc/leafnode/README.Debian

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Indulekha

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:50:38PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:01:57 -0500, Indulekha wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:39:15PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >>
> >> Blame your mail2news gateway provider then. I don't experience that
> >> problem with Gmane :-)
> >>
> >> Gmane also does a good job when it comes to block the spam it reaches
> >> the lists. Oh, oh... now I feel like a "human-advertising" :-P
> >>

> > Yes, it's having an effect...
> > So, do you run leafnode and point it at nntp://news.gmane.org then?
>
> I've never used Leafnode before. Is a NNTP server, right?
>
> Let me take a look:
>
> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/overview.shtml
>
> Okay, you will have to configure it to fetch the news messages from Gmane
> servers and only for the selected groups (not the whole tree) so you can
> read the articles locally. For the exact steps, I can't tell, but there
> must be some samples on how to proceed at the docs:
>
> /usr/share/doc/leafnode/examples/*
> /usr/share/doc/leafnode/README.Debian

Thanks, but I do already know how to run leafnode -- been doing that with
news.individual.net for a few years.
Just wondered if that's what you were using for gmane, sorry if I wasn't
clear. Anyway, I think sticking with the straight list is probably fine
for me at this point. It's always good to have alternative options if
needed, but gmane seems a bit of a kludge to me frankly, and now there's
that shadow of doubt cast by this whole "joelassistly" thing...
(Though it may have nothing to do with gmane, but IDK).

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Wayne Topa

On 05/02/2012 10:38 AM, Camalen wrote:

The only pattern I have is the sender of the posts :-? and after checking

I received one yesterday from "Dan B" with the subject: ls sorting order
change

The mail agent is shown as "Assist Support Platform" a Winbloz program.

Checked my Gmail account and it has been deleted on the gmail server.

Here is the most header
From - Tue May 1 20:59:45 2012

by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id
ib3si13119117vdb.18.2012.05.01.13.59.04

(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Tue, 01 May 2012 13:59:04 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of joe1assistly@gmail.com
designates 209.85.220.181 as permitted sender) client-ip=209.85.220.181;
joe1assistly@gmail.com designates 209.85.220.181 as permitted sender)
smtp.mail=joe1assistly@gmail.com; dkim=pass header.i=@gmail.com

d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
h=date:from:reply-to:to:cc:message-id:in-reply-to:subject
:mime-version:content-type:x-mailer;
bh=3FU3UJDbaydHuXtPq5q2MdUuEbNvl0JiQ0pjO6uVVDI=;

b=0LoH+cw39cTAVnoONBf1tF8IaGk4iD2qnaI0W4mMvRDEoJpT Ej7Aleqibk7SO2CBW2

Ju+WvhO1LuXrywLpYwqJcjPiIts5VzBAhq3AKuOaDY6VMwbeZg DzMZCWbRN/x4L35NZL

AEnRLU94zuCB32Uvl4b/9ZlWkWz1kbt/8hqG4RHQSsQI3QujassQ+jBbL+sVc+BpBN6i

SrfxbI71zBEYSTYcwfw530YDteeKq6GMrReHK5yTonm026jxQQ Pe45KbbDo3Efrc4M2Q

RLoTYSDHUqo+IFFj1JGo4BxGnvUAV0N+g+FBRF9X4d/1BqFYcU4Cc7Lwu0IKUxSYeHqf
sL5w==
(ec2-174-129-125-98.compute-1.amazonaws.com. [174.129.125.98])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id
hf9sm33830547vdb.7.2012.05.01.13.59.03

(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=OTHER);
Tue, 01 May 2012 13:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:59:02 +0000
From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
To: danb@kempt.net
Cc: linuxtwo@gmail.com
Subject: Re: ls sorting order change

--mimepart_4fa04e971a680_7c3c8b7c0c26f

__________________________________
Type your response ABOVE THIS LINE to reply

-----------------------------------
Dan
-----------------------------------

Wayne | MAY 01, 2012 04:58PM EDT

On 05/01/2012 03:10 PM, Dan B. wrote:
> What controls the order that the ls command uses for sorting names?
>

> On a fresh Squeeze installation, ls seems to ignore leading "."
> characters (it no longer lists all "hidden" files adjacent to each
> other) and to ignore capitalization differences.
>
> It used to sort in standard/traditional Unix order (not ignoring any
> characters, and ordering by order of characters in ASCII/etc. (as
> opposed to by case-insensitive alphabetical order)).
>

> What controls ls's sorting order?
>
> I haven't set any locale environment variable specifically for the
> collation order, but I don't know what base LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8 setting
> does. Does "en_US" imply that new sorting order?
>

> How do I tell ls to work the way I've seen it work for decades?

Well man ls says

" List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default). =

Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort is specifie=
d."

Guess you could start there.
Hope this helps

Wayne

-- =

.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4FA08677.6040301@gmail.com

-----------------------------------

Dan | MAY 01, 2012 03:13PM EDT | Original message =

What controls the order that the ls command uses for sorting names?

On a fresh Squeeze installation, ls seems to ignore leading "."
characters (it no longer lists all "hidden" files adjacent to each
other) and to ignore capitalization differences.

It used to sort in standard/traditional Unix order (not ignoring any
characters, and ordering by order of characters in ASCII/etc. (as
opposed to by case-insensitive alphabetical order)).

What controls ls's sorting order?

I haven't set any locale environment variable specifically for the
collation order, but I don't know what base LANG=3Den_US.UTF-8 setting
does. Does "en_US" imply that new sorting order?

How do I tell ls to work the way I've seen it work for decades?

Thanks,
Daniel

-- =

.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4FA0351F.8010100@kempt.net

-----------------------------------
This message was sent to danb@kempt.net in reference to Case #: 80003.
-----------------------------------

[[9da25fca85be83be1249cb513378f48db2182d12-1713461]]=

--mimepart_4fa04e971a680_7c3c8b7c0c26f

le border=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" cellspacing=3D"0" width=3D"100%"> =

; line-height:150%; text-align:left;">

LINE to reply</span>

Archive: 4FA150EA.7040109@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FA150EA.7040109@gmail.com

Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Camalen

On Wed, 02 May 2012 10:04:36 -0500, Indulekha wrote:

> On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 02:50:38PM +0000, Camalen wrote:

>> > So, do you run leafnode and point it at nntp://news.gmane.org then?
>>
>> I've never used Leafnode before. Is a NNTP server, right?
>>
>> Let me take a look:
>>
>> http://leafnode.sourceforge.net/overview.shtml

(...)

> Thanks, but I do already know how to run leafnode -- been doing that
> with news.individual.net for a few years.

So then? I already say how I read/post to this list and don't remember
mentioning leafnode at all :-)

> Just wondered if that's what you were using for gmane, sorry if I wasn't
> clear.

Nope, I use Pan (a newsreader client) to read/post here using Gmane, like
if I were using a standard MUA.

> Anyway, I think sticking with the straight list is probably fine
> for me at this point. It's always good to have alternative options if
> needed, but gmane seems a bit of a kludge to me frankly, and now there's
> that shadow of doubt cast by this whole "joelassistly" thing... (Though
> it may have nothing to do with gmane, but IDK).

IMO, Gmane is one of the better/useful things there's now in the web, I
don't know why you speak about it in that way. Anyway, I'm afraid you
haven't understood what's going on with that "joe1..." posts :-/

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Curt

On 2012-05-02, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> --
> ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
> Indulekha

I like your signature, hearts and eighth notes, if music be the food of
love, play on...

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Brian

On Wed 02 May 2012 at 14:38:47 +0000, Camalen wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 19:30:09 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > joe1assistly, surely?
>
> Yes. This is the "from" line where the name is faked to appear to come
> from the list:
>
> ***
> From: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <joe1assistly@gmail.com>
> ***

The software used to generate the mail may very well be inept; it might
even be trying to be helpful to the recipient. I doubt it is attempting
to deceive.

> > Let them post the headers and bodies then. Whatever is happening at
> > gmane I think we can be certain the mails you got (and are still
> > getting?) are not from other users on this list.
>
> Still getting, yes.
>
> And yes, I now don't think these messages are coming from users on this
> mailing list, it looks more an automatism triggered by our (some?) posts
> here but I don't know what could be, tough the common link for those who
> receive the e-mails is indeed that we replied to posts here.

As desk.com are the ones picking up mail from the list, only they are
in a position to say from where they originate. Perhaps they have
subscribed to debian-user.