Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Jochen Spieker

Default dist-upgrades on sid (was: X server: connection refused)

Bob Proulx:

> I noticed today that an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' in Sid wanted to remove
> xserver-xorg and much of the rest of the X system.

That's why I habitually only run 'apt-get upgrade', as it will never
remove any packages and you can use it more or less blindly in order to
receive unproblematic upgrades.

Some people (not necessarily you) are under the impression that sid
requires you to always use dist-upgrade, which is simply not true. For
example, running 'apt-get upgrade' today yielded the following
suggestion:

89 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 39 not upgraded.
^^ ^^
Need to get 0 B/196 MB of archives.
After this operation, 3,514 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

That means I can install 89 packages without fear of losing anything.
The other 39 upgrades require either an 'aptitude safe-upgrade' or a
dist-/full-upgrade which are potentially destructive commands. In this
case, 'aptitude safe-upgrade' took care of another six packages and only
the full-upgrade proposes to remove xserver-xorg.

Incidentally, apt-get dist-upgrade is less disastrous in this case. It
only suggests to remove xserver-xorg-video-all,
xserver-xorg-video-s3virge and xserver-xorg-video-tdfx while keeping all
important X related packages for my system.

J.
--
I think the environment will be okay.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> (02/05/2012):
> Incidentally, apt-get dist-upgrade is less disastrous in this case. It
> only suggests to remove xserver-xorg-video-all,
> xserver-xorg-video-s3virge and xserver-xorg-video-tdfx while keeping
> all important X related packages for my system.

Background:
http://blog.mraw.org/2012/05/01/DXN-11/

s3virge and tdfx both need some non-trivial merges from upstream, that's
why they didn't get processed yesterday along with the others.

(fly-by mode, I'm not subscribed to debian-user@.)

Mraw,
KiBi.