FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Bret Busby
 
Default Swap space not used

Hello.

I am running Debian 6.

When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as is
shown by gparted.


But, for some strnge reason, Debian 6will not use the swap space, even
though gparted shows it to be "Active".


Instead of Debian 6 using the swap[ partition, it just runs out of
memory, progressively, requiring rebooting every few days.


Why is this so?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992
.................................................. ..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1205021543070.14950@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1205021543070.14950@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Andy Hawkins
 
Default Swap space not used

Hi,

In article <alpine.DEB.2.00.1205021543070.14950@bret-dd-workstation.busby.net>,
Bret Busby<bret@busby.net> wrote:
> When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as is
> shown by gparted.
>
> But, for some strnge reason, Debian 6will not use the swap space, even
> though gparted shows it to be "Active".
>
> Instead of Debian 6 using the swap[ partition, it just runs out of
> memory, progressively, requiring rebooting every few days.
>
> Why is this so?

Is it listed in fstab?

I have:

/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0

Andy


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnjq1r0r.84u.andy@atom.gently.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/slrnjq1r0r.84u.andy@atom.gently.org.uk
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
keith
 
Default Swap space not used

On Wed, 2 May 2012 15:48:30 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am running Debian 6.
>
> When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as is
> shown by gparted.
>
> But, for some strnge reason, Debian 6will not use the swap space, even
> though gparted shows it to be "Active".
>
> Instead of Debian 6 using the swap[ partition, it just runs out of
> memory, progressively, requiring rebooting every few days.
>
> Why is this so?


Perhaps it isn't in /etc/fstab.

You could try using swapon / swapoff on the partition

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120502093150.7e4cd90ec8b61634fd294217@gmail.com" >http://lists.debian.org/20120502093150.7e4cd90ec8b61634fd294217@gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Andrei POPESCU
 
Default Swap space not used

On Mi, 02 mai 12, 15:48:30, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running Debian 6.
>
> When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as
> is shown by gparted.

four zero Gigabytes? My / + /home are only 27GB

> But, for some strnge reason, Debian 6will not use the swap space,
> even though gparted shows it to be "Active".
>
> Instead of Debian 6 using the swap[ partition, it just runs out of
> memory, progressively, requiring rebooting every few days.

Please show the output of 'free', 'cat /etc/fstab' and 'fdisk -l' (the
last one will need root).

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Sian Mountbatten
 
Default Swap space not used

On 02/05/12 09:00, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

I am running Debian 6.

When I installed it, I had a swap partition of about 40GB set up, as is
shown by gparted.

But, for some strnge reason, Debian 6will not use the swap space, even
though gparted shows it to be "Active".

Instead of Debian 6 using the swap[ partition, it just runs out of
memory, progressively, requiring rebooting every few days.

Why is this so?

Thank you in anticipation.

Your swap partition is, very likely, too large. As a rule, your swap
partition should be the same size as your RAM. Do you have 40GB RAM?

Sincerely

--
Sian Mountbatten
ex-Algol 68 specialist


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: jnr4qu$hag$1@speranza.aioe.org">http://lists.debian.org/jnr4qu$hag$1@speranza.aioe.org
 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Lisi
 
Default Swap space not used

On Wednesday 02 May 2012 12:12:31 Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> As a rule, your swap
> partition should be the same size as your RAM.

We used to be taught it should be twice as big as your RAM - but even that
wouldn't get you to 40GB!! And, of course, that was in the days when RAM was
tiny by today's standards.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201205021447.17851.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201205021447.17851.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Claudius Hubig
 
Default Swap space not used

Hello Lisi,

Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2012 12:12:31 Sian Mountbatten wrote:
> > As a rule, your swap
> > partition should be the same size as your RAM.
>
> We used to be taught it should be twice as big as your RAM - but even that
> wouldn't get you to 40GB!! And, of course, that was in the days when RAM was
> tiny by today's standards.

That indeed was a rule of thumb when swap space was actually
important. However, with today’s RAM, the main usage of swap space is
hibernate (suspend to disk), for which at most the size of your RAM
in swap space is required.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.
-- Mt.
http://chubig.net telnet nightfall.org 4242
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Johan Grönqvist
 
Default Swap space not used

2012-05-02 13:12, Sian Mountbatten skrev:


Your swap partition is, very likely, too large. As a rule, your swap
partition should be the same size as your RAM. Do you have 40GB RAM?


Linux can handle well above 40 GB of swap. I would be surprised if "swap
partition too large" was the reason. My swap is larger than that.


I am always a bot surprised by advice like the ones in this thread. I
have heard and seen this many times.


I am aware that for web-browsing, and other similar activities, using
swap is almost always bad, as it slows the system down.


I typically run programs and scripts without having a good estimate of
their future memory usage, and my computer usage is frequently
RAM-bound, so I try to guess how much I can do within the memory I have
available.


It is not uncommon for me to misjudge the need by a factor of 2 or 3,
and in those cases, I have programs being killed left and right unless I
have enough swap-space.


I would say that being careful with swap-space is important when one has
too small a hard drive, but I have plenty of drives space these days.
Not having my jobs killed is more important to me than saving a few tens
of GB of extra space.


I have just above 40 GB on my current desktop, and when I had influence
over a computer with 64GB RAM, it had quite a bit of swap space.


Mem: 64558M total, 24822M used, 39735M free, 324M buffers
Swap: 184323M total, 25M used, 184298M free, 24238M cached

Regards

Johan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: jns26c$n9e$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jns26c$n9e$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Shane Johnson
 
Default Swap space not used

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Johan Grönqvist <johan.gronqvist@gmail.com> wrote:

2012-05-02 13:12, Sian Mountbatten skrev:




Your swap partition is, very likely, too large. As a rule, your swap

partition should be the same size as your RAM. Do you have 40GB RAM?




Linux can handle well above 40 GB of swap. I would be surprised if "swap partition too large" was the reason. My swap is larger than that.



I am always a bot surprised by advice like the ones in this thread. I have heard and seen this many times.



I am aware that for web-browsing, and other similar activities, using swap is almost always bad, as it slows the system down.



I typically run programs and scripts without having a good estimate of their future memory usage, and my computer usage is frequently RAM-bound, so I try to guess how much I can do within the memory I have available.




It is not uncommon for me to misjudge the need by a factor of 2 or 3, and in those cases, I have programs being killed left and right unless I have enough swap-space.



I would say that being careful with swap-space is important when one has too small a hard drive, but I have plenty of drives space these days. Not having my jobs killed is more important to me than saving a few tens of GB of extra space.




I have just above 40 GB on my current desktop, and when I had influence over a computer with 64GB RAM, it had quite a bit of swap space.



Mem: * * 64558M total, * *24822M used, * *39735M free, * * *324M buffers

Swap: * 184323M total, * * * 25M used, * 184298M free, * *24238M cached



Regards



Johan





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jns26c$n9e$1@dough.gmane.org




The only time I have seen swap not used when it is active is when it wasn't needed. *If you can see your swap active using the free command or swapon -s , and it's not getting used, but you keep crashing, what I usually see is bad memory. *From my experience memtest would be my next step.

Shane
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Rick Thomas
 
Default Swap space not used

Another use for a large swap partition is if you want to put /tmp into
tmpfs.


Whether doing so is a "good thing(TM)" is a religious debate that I
don't want to stir up here. But there are people who do it, and for
them a large swap partition can be useful.


Rick

PS: We haven't heard back from the OP yet. I'm with the folks who
think he probably forgot to put it in fstab, but we won't know until he
replies.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 39e8e5797ec4782d849f00461fd3f94c@pobox.com">http://lists.debian.org/39e8e5797ec4782d849f00461fd3f94c@pobox.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org