Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Sharon Kimble

Default Themes and unreadable text

i'm looking for a theme where the background in konqueror and
tranmission is all white instead of its current
grey/white/grey/white/etc which is difficult for me to read in the
grey bars. The black text just seems to merge into the grey background
which i find almost impossible to read, and that’s with my reading
glasses on!

I tried altering the theme in gnome-control-center > appearance, but
the one that i chose also made the title bars black so that i couldn't
read what they said.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.1

Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 02 May 2012 08:26:12 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> i'm looking for a theme where the background in konqueror and
> tranmission is all white instead of its current
> grey/white/grey/white/etc which is difficult for me to read in the grey
> bars. The black text just seems to merge into the grey background which
> i find almost impossible to read, and that’s with my reading glasses on!

Are you running Konqueror from GNOME?

> I tried altering the theme in gnome-control-center > appearance, but the
> one that i chose also made the title bars black so that i couldn't read
> what they said.
>
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Well, I think yes :-)

In Gnome Look¹ there are many themes, GTK styles and colour patterns you
can try. If you like dark schemas, "Sonar" from openSUSE was very good
(IIRC it used mainly a black/green pattern).

Anyway, Tranmission will be okay (I guess you're using the GTK+ flavour)
but Konqueror uses a Qt framework, maybe you encounter some integration
problem with this.

¹http://gnome-look.org/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 02/05/2012, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012 08:26:12 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> i'm looking for a theme where the background in konqueror and
>> tranmission is all white instead of its current
>> grey/white/grey/white/etc which is difficult for me to read in the grey
>> bars. The black text just seems to merge into the grey background which
>> i find almost impossible to read, and that’s with my reading glasses on!
>>

> Are you running Konqueror from GNOME?

Yes, I use whichever tool I think is good enough, and konqueror wins
over nautilus I find.

>> I tried altering the theme in gnome-control-center > appearance, but the
>> one that i chose also made the title bars black so that i couldn't read
>> what they said.
>>
>> Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> Well, I think yes :-)
>
> In Gnome Look¹ there are many themes, GTK styles and colour patterns you
> can try. If you like dark schemas, "Sonar" from openSUSE was very good
> (IIRC it used mainly a black/green pattern).

But thats the problem I find, the current theme is too dark. So I've
installed one called 'sloth'

> Anyway, Tranmission will be okay (I guess you're using the GTK+ flavour)
> but Konqueror uses a Qt framework, maybe you encounter some integration
> problem with this.

No problems that I know about

> ¹http://gnome-look.org/

Thanks for this, very useful .