Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Chris Bannister

Default Solved: Can't install flashplugin.nonfree. ERROR: wget failed to download

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:05:28PM +0900, Han Soo Chang wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> It was just that I needed to apt-get install as root, not sudo apt-get.
>
> The following command
> # apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> worked just fine.
>
> $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> failed because the invoked script probably did not have the write permission
> for a certain directory.
>
> This is a little bit confusing for a newbie like me.
> But, anyway, I can now see the videos on youtube.

Just remember Debian isn't Ubuntu. When you see "sudo blah blah blah"
just run "blah blah blah" as root.

Ubuntu specifically sets up sudo, they don't like you being root!
whereas, in Debian, ***YOU*** would have to install sudo and configure
it to get the desired result.

"su -c blah blah blah" is probably better.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Indulekha

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 05:07:26PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 05:05:28PM +0900, Han Soo Chang wrote:
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > It was just that I needed to apt-get install as root, not sudo apt-get.
> >
> > The following command
> > # apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> > worked just fine.
> >
> > $ sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> > failed because the invoked script probably did not have the write permission
> > for a certain directory.
> >
> > This is a little bit confusing for a newbie like me.
> > But, anyway, I can now see the videos on youtube.
>
> Just remember Debian isn't Ubuntu. When you see "sudo blah blah blah"
> just run "blah blah blah" as root¹.
>
> Ubuntu specifically sets up sudo, they don't like you being root!
> whereas, in Debian, ***YOU*** would have to install sudo and configure
> it to get the desired result.
>
> ¹ "su -c blah blah blah" is probably better.

?????
I use sudo all the time, and have done so for years.
'Course you have to install it, add your user to the
sudo group, and edit /etc/sudoers with the "visudo"
command first. But all that is very easy.
Install sudo and read "man sudo".
Feel free to ask me if you need further help with it.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Han Soo Chang

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I installed sudo, and edited the confiugration file using visudo.
That was easy.
And I have been using sudo in all the cases where I needed to be root.
I believed that it gives me better security.

However, in this particular case of installing flashplugin-nonfree,
sudo apt-get failed, but su apt-get succeeded.

What I'm trying to say is that this could be interpreted as a subtle bug,
because it confuses a user like me.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Indulekha

On Wed, May 02, 2012 at 04:37:16PM +0900, Han Soo Chang wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Yes, I installed sudo, and edited the confiugration file using visudo.
> That was easy.
> And I have been using sudo in all the cases where I needed to be root.
> I believed that it gives me better security.
>
> However, in this particular case of installing flashplugin-nonfree,
> sudo apt-get failed, but su apt-get succeeded.
>
> What I'm trying to say is that this could be interpreted as a subtle bug,
> because it confuses a user like me.

I don't think it's a bug...
If you add your user to the sudo group and use the line:

yourusername ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

in /etc/sudoers, everything should work and you'll
get no password prompt. Of course, replace "youusername"
with your actual username.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> I don't think it's a bug...
> If you add your user to the sudo group and use the line:
>
> yourusername * ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> in /etc/sudoers, everything should work and you'll
> get no password prompt. Of course, replace "youusername"
> with your actual username.

If you add your user account to /etc/sudoers, there's no need to be in
the sudo group. The configuration in the default /etc/sudoers is
this:

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL

You can just add the NOPASSWORD directive to that line (which I'd not
recommend) if you put the user in the sudo group thusly:

# usermod -G sudo -a username

My recommendation would be to simply use usermod to add your username
to the sudo group and call it done (do not edit /etc/sudoers at all).
You'll then get the same behavior that you see in Ubuntu (with the
exception that root still has a real password).

--
Chris

Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Han Soo Chang

I thank you all for your help.* But there seems to be a big misunderstanding.

The issue is not how to use sudo or how to set up no-password.

If you could see my original report, it would be clear.* But it seems to have fallen off the thread.

Here is what happened.

$sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
then I typed my password.
-----
ERROR: wget failed to download

http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc

More information might be available at:

*http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer

I checked the following
$ LANG="en_US.utf8" wget -v

http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc

--2012-04-30 14:42:43--

http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc

Resolving ns14... 10.1.1.12

Connecting to ns14|10.1.1.12|:8080... connected.

Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 1273 (1.2K) [text/plain]

fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc: Permission denied

Next, I did this

$su
Then I typed my password
# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

And it succeeded.

So, it seems that when I invoked the command under sudo,

the script invoked by the command tried to write a file to a directory, but failed
because of denied permission.
But when I invoked it under superuser, it succeeded.

So, I wonder whether this is because
(1)* I mishandled my set up of sudo

(2) this is a subtle bug of packaging of flashplugin-nonfree,
(3) this is a feature of flashplugin-nonfree package unavoidable for some security reason
(4) Debian culture commands that I become superuser instead of using sudo.

Cheers,
Han Soo

Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Curt

On 2012-05-03, Han Soo Chang <hansoo77jp@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I wonder whether this is because
> (1) I mishandled my set up of sudo

The experts would need, I should think, to see your sudoers file to
confirm the least fanciful of your hypotheses.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Bob Proulx

Han Soo Chang wrote:
> Here is what happened.
>
> $sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
> then I typed my password.
> -----
> ERROR: wget failed to download

This is unllkely to have anything to do with either sudo or su. I
think this failure is unrelated.

> I checked the following
> $ LANG="en_US.utf8" wget -v
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
> --2012-04-30<http://people.debian.org/%7Ebartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc--2012-04-30>14:42:43--
> http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc
> Resolving ns14... 10.1.1.12
> Connecting to ns14|10.1.1.12|:8080... connected.
> Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 1273 (1.2K) [text/plain]
> fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc: Permission denied

That permission denied came from the server. If you do not have
permission to write the local file the error would have said one of
these depending upon locale and wget version.

Cannot write to “fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc” (Permission denied).
Or:
Cannot write to `fp10.sha512.amd64.pgp.asc' (Permission denied).

And of course if you are root then root always (in a normal typical
system ignoring selinux, filesystem attributes, and other less common
configurations) has permission to write to the local filesystem.

> Next, I did this
>
> $su
> Then I typed my password
> # apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
>
> And it succeeded.

Probably the upstream problem was resolved and this was then allowed.
When external influences cause success and failure outside of your
carefully designed experiment it can cause a lot of confusion.

> So, it seems that when I invoked the command under sudo, the script
> invoked by the command tried to write a file to a directory, but
> failed because of denied permission. But when I invoked it under
> superuser, it succeeded.

Again, I think this was due to upstream failures on the web server and
not related to your use of sudo or su.

> So, I wonder whether this is because
> (1) I mishandled my set up of sudo

You can test this. Type in:

$ sudo id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

$ sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

> (2) this is a subtle bug of packaging of flashplugin-nonfree,

Perhaps. There are some liberties taken with setting HOME so as to
work in the typical case. Could be a problem for you. But I doubt it.

> (3) this is a feature of flashplugin-nonfree package unavoidable for some
> security reason

I don't think so.

> (4) Debian culture commands that I become superuser instead of using sudo.

No. Definitely not. I think sudo is strongly in the Debian culture.
I usually give instructions using sudo. Your view may be clouded by
who is most vocal in responding to messages *this week*. But on
average it has a strong following.

Bob

Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 AM
Han Soo Chang

Thank you very much for your very thoughtful comments, Bob.
I truly appreciate them.
Actually, I was about to unsubscribe from the list when I found them. :-)

> Probably the upstream problem was resolved and this was then allowed.
> When external influences cause success and failure outside of your
> carefully designed experiment it can cause a lot of confusion.

I would like to think so, too. But, unfortunately, the error is still
reproducible.
I purge the package flashplugin-nonfree, and try to install it.
Then, I still get the same error.
So, the interpretation becomes difficult.
Of course, the server may be still having some problem. :-)

> You can test this. Type in:
>
> $ sudo id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
>
> $ sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

$ sudo id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) 所属グループ=0(root)
$ sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Well, it has been a quite instructive week for me.
Thank you everyone.
I now want to close this case.

Greetings,
Han Soo

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Bob Proulx

Han Soo Chang wrote:
> > Probably the upstream problem was resolved and this was then allowed.
> > When external influences cause success and failure outside of your
> > carefully designed experiment it can cause a lot of confusion.
>
> I would like to think so, too. But, unfortunately, the error is still
> reproducible.
> I purge the package flashplugin-nonfree, and try to install it.
> Then, I still get the same error.
> So, the interpretation becomes difficult.
> Of course, the server may be still having some problem. :-)

That is really strange. I can purge the package and install it
repeated with no problems. I do not see any errors from it.

If you are motivated the update-flashplugin-nonfree is a script and
may be viewed and debugged fairly easily. It might take a little bit
of effort but it isn't too hard. I start with something like this:

sh -x /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install 2>&1 | tee /tmp/fp.out

Then I look through the output and the script side by side.

> > You can test this. Type in:
> >
> > $ sudo id
> > uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
> >
> > $ sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
> > /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> $ sudo id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) 所属グループ=0(root)

You are root with uid=0 and gid=0 so that is good and root won't have
any permission problems.

> $ sudo sh -c 'echo $PATH'
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

That is an okay PATH. The X11R6 part is typical for Squeeze but is
dropped in Wheezy. It was used in the older X Window System. All
okay. I had asked about PATH since in Wheezy the sudo PATH
configuration changes and the change has caused some trouble with
missing directories. The above is good.

> Well, it has been a quite instructive week for me.
> Thank you everyone.
> I now want to close this case.

Good luck!

Bob