Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Brad Alexander

Default PlayOnLinux + wine + amd64

Hey all,

Got a question about running games in wine. I had, on my system,
playonlinux (4.0.12) on my i386 system. Had a few games installed, and
everything was working. Well, first of the year, I upgraded my system
from a core2duo to an AMD Phenom II x4. So I reinstalled Debian, this
time amd64. I restored the directories, including ~/.PlayOnLinux from
previous backups.

Today, I finally had a chance to reinstall playonlinux (4.0.18). I
started playonlinux, and it gave me a pop-up message saying

PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32bits OpenGL libraries.

You might encounter problem with your games

...And sure enough, I appear to. Is it as simple as installing
libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32, libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32, and
nvidia-glx-ia32? Can I install these alongside the amd64 ones without
negative impact?

Thanks,
--b

Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Noah Duffy

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 20:09 -0400, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Got a question about running games in wine. I had, on my system,
> playonlinux (4.0.12) on my i386 system. Had a few games installed, and
> everything was working. Well, first of the year, I upgraded my system
> from a core2duo to an AMD Phenom II x4. So I reinstalled Debian, this
> time amd64. I restored the directories, including ~/.PlayOnLinux from
> previous backups.
>
> Today, I finally had a chance to reinstall playonlinux (4.0.18). I
> started playonlinux, and it gave me a pop-up message saying
>
> PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32bits OpenGL libraries.
>
> You might encounter problem with your games
>
> ...And sure enough, I appear to. Is it as simple as installing
> libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32, libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32, and
> nvidia-glx-ia32? Can I install these alongside the amd64 ones without
> negative impact?
>
> Thanks,
> --b

You sure can! In fact, you'll want to. It should solve your problem.
I know I need to have nvidia-glx-ia32 and ia32-libs to get some games in
Crossover to work.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Paul Johnson

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...And sure enough, I appear to. Is it as *simple as installing
> libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32, libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32, and
> nvidia-glx-ia32? Can I install these alongside the amd64 ones without
> negative impact?

You pretty much have to have the ia32 packages to make that work, yes.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Brad Alexander

Thanks guys. I got the libs installed, but now when I try to install
apps (in this case, StarCraft II), it keeps telling me that winserver
crashed:

[POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for /mnt/Installer.exe
[POL_Wine] Message: Running wine- /mnt/Installer.exe
[POL_Wine] Error: Wine seems to have crashed
[POL_Wine] Message: Wine return: 126
/usr/share/playonlinux/lib/wine.lib: line 837: wineserver: command not found

I see wineserver on the filesystem:

$ ls -l /usr/lib32/wine-unstable/wineserver
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 317956 Aug 15 2011 /usr/lib32/wine-unstable/wineserver
$ file /usr/lib32/wine-unstable/wineserver
/usr/lib32/wine-unstable/wineserver: ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
for GNU/Linux 2.6.26,
BuildID[sha1]=0x57327e6dc898b3fec6033787ad68d58a76826dee, stripped

...and ldconfig sees it:

$ ldconfig -v
/usr/lib32:
libwine-unstable.so.1 -> libwine-unstable.so.1.0
libkwineffects.so.1abi2 -> libkwineffects.so.1.0.0.abi2

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
--b

Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 04/05/12 12:35, Brad Alexander wrote:
> Thanks guys. I got the libs installed, but now when I try to install
> apps (in this case, StarCraft II), it keeps telling me that winserver
> crashed:
>
> [POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for /mnt/Installer.exe
> [POL_Wine] Message: Running wine- /mnt/Installer.exe

<snipped>

> Am I missing anything?

> /mnt/Installer.exe

^^^^ (is Installer.exe actually in the /mnt directory?)

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Brad Alexander

It is. I mounted the iso image there.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Scott Ferguson

Please don't top-post

On 04/05/12 13:12, Brad Alexander wrote:
> It is. I mounted the iso image there.

OK. I had to ask.

For PlayOnLinux and WINE I've got:-
libkwineffects1a
libwine
libwine-alsa
libwine-cms
libwine-gl
libwine-gphoto2
libwine-ldap
libwine-print
libwine-sane
playonlinux
wine
wine-bin
wine-doc
wine-utils

But I don't have wine on a 64-bit box, or that game.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Brad Alexander

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please don't top-post

Sorry. Saw (but didn't read) the whole thread on when to and not to top post.

> On 04/05/12 13:12, Brad Alexander wrote:
>> It is. I mounted the iso image there.
>
> OK. I had to ask.

No problem.

$ ls -l /mnt/Installer.exe
-rwx------ 1 501 dialout 2505256 May 25 2010 /mnt/Installer.exe

> For PlayOnLinux and WINE I've got:-
> libkwineffects1a
> libwine
> libwine-alsa
> libwine-cms
> libwine-gl
> libwine-gphoto2
> libwine-ldap
> libwine-print
> libwine-sane
> playonlinux
> wine
> wine-bin
> wine-doc
> wine-utils

My list is more or less the same.

libwine-alsa-unstable
libwine-bin-unstable
libwine-cms-unstable
libwine-gecko-unstable
libwine-gl-unstable
libwine-gphoto2-unstable
libwine-ldap-unstable
libwine-openal-unstable
libwine-oss-unstable
libwine-print-unstable
libwine-sane-unstable
libwine-unstable
playonlinux
wine-bin-unstable
wine-unstable
winetricks

[snip]

I also just upgraded from wine-unstable 1.1.34 to 1.5.0, and the
message has changed. Now I get

[POL_Wine] Error: Wine seems to have crashed

If your program is running, just ignore this message
wine: cannot find L"E:Installer.exe"

I have tried the system (1.5.0/amd64) and the one included with POL
(1.3.17/x86), and both give me the above message.

Thanks,
--b

Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 05/05/12 00:11, Brad Alexander wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> I also just upgraded from wine-unstable 1.1.34 to 1.5.0, and the
> message has changed. Now I get
>
> [POL_Wine] Error: Wine seems to have crashed
>
> If your program is running, just ignore this message
> wine: cannot find L"E:Installer.exe"
>
> I have tried the system (1.5.0/amd64) and the one included with POL
> (1.3.17/x86), and both give me the above message.
>
> Thanks,
> --b

Try putting the installer somewhere else?

Occasionally I've been able to work around install problems with the /
WINE/WindoofUNIX slashes and double-slashes doing that.

Try renaming the installer to all uppercase?

Why is the owner of Installer.exe the dialout group?

At this point I've only three ideas left:-
; try it with stable WINE and rule out a problem with Sid (this is not
an uncommon game).
; WINE/CrossOver Office/PlayOnLinux forums/lists research and request
; install it in a VirtualBox machine and use that as a reference for
WINE debugging.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Brad Alexander

I found the problem, sort of. I ended up having to install from the
*actual* dvd. It failed on the dvd iso I made, it also died during the
download from battle.net. However, when I used the actual dvd, I got
it installed. Don't know why, but it worked.

Thanks,
--b

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Scott Ferguson