Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Charles Kroeger

Default X server: connection refused

After a dist-upgrade to an AMD64 wheezy/sid installation I get the following:

$startx
/etc/X11/xinit/sderverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found

xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
xinit: server error

I had a look at /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/X -no listen tcp "$e"

well this is mud to me, any suggestions as to what the message might mean?

I use the nvidia-glx video driver.

--
CK

Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Indulekha

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 06:13:51PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> After a dist-upgrade to an AMD64 wheezy/sid installation I get the following:
>
> $startx
> /etc/X11/xinit/sderverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found
>
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
> xinit: server error
>
> I had a look at /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exec /usr/bin/X -no listen tcp "$e"
>

> well this is mud to me, any suggestions as to what the message might mean?
>
> I use the nvidia-glx video driver.

Appears you no longer have the xserver installed.
Upgrade get interrupted, or finish with errors perhaps?

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Charles Kroeger

On Wed, 02 May 2012 02:00:02 +0200
Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:

> Appears you no longer have the xserver installed.
> Upgrade get interrupted, or finish with errors perhaps?

Thanks for your response however I'm not sure it isn't something else as all
the nividia-glx 295.40-1 sources and drivers inclusive of dkms sources and
kernel and even the xserver-xorg-video-nvidia Xorg driver are all still
installed. There was nothing in regard to the xserver removed, something to
do with X11 or X maybe. I suspect they're screwing their nuts back at the X11
head office.

someone screwed up

--
CK

Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Indulekha

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 09:53:55PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2012 02:00:02 +0200
> Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
>

> > Appears you no longer have the xserver installed.
> > Upgrade get interrupted, or finish with errors perhaps?
>

> Thanks for your response however I'm not sure it isn't something else as all
> the nividia-glx 295.40-1 sources and drivers inclusive of dkms sources and
> kernel and even the xserver-xorg-video-nvidia Xorg driver are all still
> installed. There was nothing in regard to the xserver removed, something to
> do with X11 or X maybe. I suspect they're screwing their nuts back at the X11
> head office.
>
> someone screwed up

Perhaps I am mistaken, or was just unclear -- sorry.
By "the xserver" I mean xserver-xorg, not the xserver drivers you
mention (dang my colloquially-inclined rural Southern hide).

Try "sudo aptitude show xserver-xorg", see if it's installed or not...
If so, check the same with "xinit".

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Bob Proulx

Indulekha wrote:
> Charles Kroeger wrote:
> > $startx
> > /etc/X11/xinit/sderverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found
>
> Appears you no longer have the xserver installed.
> Upgrade get interrupted, or finish with errors perhaps?

I noticed today that an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' in Sid wanted to remove
xserver-xorg and much of the rest of the X system.

Sid is a little unstable today.

Bob

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM
Tom H

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Charles Kroeger
<ckrogrr@frankensteinface.com> wrote:

> After a dist-upgrade to an AMD64 wheezy/sid installation I get the following:
>
> $startx
> /etc/X11/xinit/sderverrc: 3: exec: /usr/bin/X: not found
>
> xinit: giving up
> xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
> xinit: server error
>
> I had a look at /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exec /usr/bin/X *-no listen tcp "$e"
>

> well this is mud to me, any suggestions as to what the message might mean?
>
> I use the nvidia-glx video driver.

X on Sid seems to be going through a transition at the moment and
isn't working for me either (although my particular problem might be
complicated by being related to VMWare).