Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Riley Paxton

Default Problem with libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

Hello,

I'm not sure if I should file a bug report, but I've been reading that
there may be an error regarding an out-of-date glibc2 or its
associated libraries, or even some GTK+ libaraies. I'm not sure.

It's been a while since I've updated testing, so this may be due to my
neglegence of consistantly updating and upgrading. I hope someone
knows how to resolve the followiung problem.

I get this error message when running urxvt, vi, and many various
other utilities:
<PROGRAM PATH/NAME>: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_bytes_unref

And it fails to launch. So X server still works, just some other
utilities relying on this libgdk_pixbuf plugin won't work, I guess.

I'm not sure how to try glibc2 from unstable yet--I'm not sure if I
add an entry in the sources.list before or after the testing entires,
and then reconfigure APT to pull from the unstable target. I'm not
sure if trying that will will be worth the risk of possibly breaking
many packages.

I believe there isn't going to need to be some crazy fix for it, so I
hope anyone can give some insight!

My uname -a:
Linux pc-main 3.2.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Apr 15 16:47:38 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And now I notice my clock is off by 16 days... But I use NTP, so, no matter.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-05-01 20:42 +0200, Riley Paxton wrote:

> I'm not sure if I should file a bug report, but I've been reading that
> there may be an error regarding an out-of-date glibc2 or its
> associated libraries, or even some GTK+ libaraies. I'm not sure.
>
> It's been a while since I've updated testing, so this may be due to my
> neglegence of consistantly updating and upgrading. I hope someone
> knows how to resolve the followiung problem.
>
> I get this error message when running urxvt, vi, and many various
> other utilities:
> <PROGRAM PATH/NAME>: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
> g_bytes_unref

This could be because the system libglib2.0 is too old (unlikely, since
the dependencies of libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 seem to prevent that), or because
you have an older copy of libglib-2.0.so.0 somewhere, e.g. in
/usr/local/lib. What does
"ldd /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0" print?

Cheers,
Sven

Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Riley Paxton

On 5/1/12, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2012-05-01 20:42 +0200, Riley Paxton wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if I should file a bug report, but I've been reading that
>> there may be an error regarding an out-of-date glibc2 or its
>> associated libraries, or even some GTK+ libaraies. I'm not sure.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've updated testing, so this may be due to my
>> neglegence of consistantly updating and upgrading. I hope someone
>> knows how to resolve the followiung problem.
>>
>> I get this error message when running urxvt, vi, and many various
>> other utilities:
>> <PROGRAM PATH/NAME>: symbol lookup error:
>> /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
>> g_bytes_unref
>
> This could be because the system libglib2.0 is too old (unlikely, since
> the dependencies of libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 seem to prevent that), or because
> you have an older copy of libglib-2.0.so.0 somewhere, e.g. in
> /usr/local/lib. What does
> "ldd /usr/lib/x86-64-linux-gnu/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0" print?
>
> Cheers,
> Sven

Yes! There was conflicting libraries since I compiled and installed
GIMP 2.7 on that machine (since 2.8 isn't out yet). and there was
libglib libraries in there. I moved them to a directory called "old"
for now.

Thank you so much.