Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Camaleón

Default Supermicro SAS controller

On Tue, 01 May 2012 11:53:27 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro
> AOC-SASLP-MV8 as controller for a software raid.
> Unfortunately the system crashes when I try creating a filesystem on the
> md device.

JFYI, Google reports tons of problems with that card using mvsas driver
in linux, maybe you should consider using a different controller :-(

(...)

> And I can access the disks. Create an ext3 and ext4 filesystem on them
> seperately. But they don't like be be in the raid.
>
> When the system crashed I got this dmesg but I can't find anything in
> there:
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZFdkcS8p

There are some interesting entries there:

[ 12.028337] md: md1 stopped.
[ 12.029374] md: bind<sdc>
[ 12.034155] md: bind<sdd>
[ 12.034275] md: bind<sdb>
[ 12.034986] raid5: device sdb operational as raid disk 0
[ 12.034988] raid5: device sdc operational as raid disk 1
[ 12.035246] raid5: allocated 3230kB for md1
[ 12.035270] 0: w=1 pa=0 pr=3 m=1 a=2 r=3 op1=0 op2=0
[ 12.035272] 1: w=2 pa=0 pr=3 m=1 a=2 r=3 op1=0 op2=0
[ 12.035275] raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 2 out of 3 devices, algorithm 2
[ 12.035378] RAID5 conf printout:
[ 12.035380] --- rd:3 wd:2
[ 12.035382] disk 0, o:1, dev:sdb
[ 12.035383] disk 1, o:1, dev:sdc
[ 12.035406] md1: detected capacity change from 0 to 4000794542080
[ 12.035940] md1: unknown partition table

Those are related to md1 and your raid5 volume.

[ 12.244499] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
[ 12.244502] PM: Resume from partition 8:3
[ 12.244503] PM: Checking hibernation image.
[ 12.244599] PM: Error -22 checking image file
[ 12.244602] PM: Resume from disk failed.

And this comes from a resuming operation. Do you hibernate your system?

> On the screen I saw this:
> http://666k.com/u.php
> (Sorry it's a photograph)

I can't load the image :-?

> What else can I do?

I would report it, although I'm afraid this is a well-known issue.

Maybe you can try with an updated kernel to see if there's any imprevement
with the driver (mvsas) but to be sincere, I would be very reluctant in
setting a raid 5 level with a hard disk controller that is not rock-solid,
you are exposing your system to a data loss :-/

> There are Red Hat ad SUSE drivers and firmware on the Supermicro
> homepage. Should I take them from there?

Sadly, Supermicro does not build binaries for Debian/Ubuntu but maybe you can
ask them for the sources to compile the driver by your own.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Allan Wind

On 2012-05-01 11:53:27, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
> as controller for a software raid.

I have a different SuperMicro board and it can run in two
different modes, forget their names for it, but one supports soft
raid and the other does not (IT or something). I needed to flash
the firmware to use the latter, then use mdadm to configure a
Linux soft array.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Ramon Hofer

On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:31:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 11:53:27 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro
>> AOC-SASLP-MV8 as controller for a software raid. Unfortunately the
>> system crashes when I try creating a filesystem on the md device.
>
> JFYI, Google reports tons of problems with that card using mvsas driver
> in linux, maybe you should consider using a different controller :-(

Thanks for your info.
I wasn't aware of that :-(

Can you recommend something better?
It was very nice because it's quite cheap and I don't need a hardware
raid card.

>> And I can access the disks. Create an ext3 and ext4 filesystem on them
>> seperately. But they don't like be be in the raid.
>>
>> When the system crashed I got this dmesg but I can't find anything in
>> there:
>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZFdkcS8p
>
> There are some interesting entries there:
>
> [ 12.028337] md: md1 stopped.
> [ 12.029374] md: bind<sdc>
> [ 12.034155] md: bind<sdd>
> [ 12.034275] md: bind<sdb>
> [ 12.034986] raid5: device sdb operational as raid disk 0 [
> 12.034988] raid5: device sdc operational as raid disk 1 [ 12.035246]
> raid5: allocated 3230kB for md1 [ 12.035270] 0: w=1 pa=0 pr=3 m=1 a=2
> r=3 op1=0 op2=0 [ 12.035272] 1: w=2 pa=0 pr=3 m=1 a=2 r=3 op1=0 op2=0
> [ 12.035275] raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 2 out of 3
> devices, algorithm 2 [ 12.035378] RAID5 conf printout:
> [ 12.035380] --- rd:3 wd:2
> [ 12.035382] disk 0, o:1, dev:sdb
> [ 12.035383] disk 1, o:1, dev:sdc
> [ 12.035406] md1: detected capacity change from 0 to 4000794542080 [
> 12.035940] md1: unknown partition table
>
> Those are related to md1 and your raid5 volume.

And this looks ok or is there a problem?

> [ 12.244499] PM: Starting manual resume from disk [ 12.244502] PM:
> Resume from partition 8:3 [ 12.244503] PM: Checking hibernation image.
> [ 12.244599] PM: Error -22 checking image file [ 12.244602] PM:
> Resume from disk failed.
>
> And this comes from a resuming operation. Do you hibernate your system?

No I don't. I usually do `sudo halt` to shut it off.
But maybe I pressed the power button of the case before I collected the
dmesg report. But usually I don't hibernate.

>> On the screen I saw this:
>> http://666k.com/u.php
>> (Sorry it's a photograph)
>
> I can't load the image :-?

Sorry I posted the wrong link. This one should work:

http://666kb.com/i/c3f6nbmalagytqujw.jpg

>> What else can I do?
>
> I would report it, although I'm afraid this is a well-known issue.

Where should I report it?
I've written a mail to Supermicro. Should I also create a Debian bug
report?

> Maybe you can try with an updated kernel to see if there's any
> imprevement with the driver (mvsas) but to be sincere, I would be very
> reluctant in setting a raid 5 level with a hard disk controller that is
> not rock-solid, you are exposing your system to a data loss :-/
>
>> There are Red Hat ad SUSE drivers and firmware on the Supermicro
>> homepage. Should I take them from there?
>
> Sadly, Supermicro does not build binaries for Debian/Ubuntu but maybe
> you can ask them for the sources to compile the driver by your own.

I found this pages:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Driver/Linux/3.1.0.7/

But it doesn't seem as if it's what I need.

And the supermicro support sent me the link to this zip file:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Firmware/3.1.0.21/
Firmware_3.1.0.21.zip

It contains some win files and I have no clue what to do with them. So I
hope I get an answer from them what to do with it...

Best regards
Ramon

Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Ramon Hofer

On Tue, 01 May 2012 09:35:36 -0400, Allan Wind wrote:

> On 2012-05-01 11:53:27, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro
>> AOC-SASLP-MV8 as controller for a software raid.
>
> I have a different SuperMicro board and it can run in two different
> modes, forget their names for it, but one supports soft raid and the
> other does not (IT or something). I needed to flash the firmware to use
> the latter, then use mdadm to configure a Linux soft array.

The supermicro support sent ma a link to a zip file which contains two
exes a bat and a bin file:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Firmware/3.1.0.21/
Firmware_3.1.0.21.zip

It contains

6480.bin
dos4gw.exe
mvf.exe
smc.bat

smc.bat contains
mvf 6480.bin –y

So I suppose I have to create a USB stick that boots DOS and then run one
of the command. But which one. Maybe smc.bat but what is dos4gw.exe for?

Do you remember how you updated the firmware?

Best regards
Ramon

Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Ramon Hofer

On Tue, 01 May 2012 14:54:24 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> Do you remember how you updated the firmware?

I have just got an answer from supermicro:

> You can create bootable USB stick with this utility (windows only)
> http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/
f82c4af1fbe1f35565d91a87dedd9c5b/4e083d83/100081785/software/OTHERS/
BootFlashDos.zip

So I'l try Unetbootin and FreeDOS...

Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 5/1/2012 6:53 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
> as controller for a software raid.

The mvsas Linux driver has never been ready for production, unless
things have dramatically changed very recently. The AOC-SASLP-MV8 will
work fine on a MS Windows machine, but you will continue to suffer many
nightmares with Linux. Google for the mvsas horror stories.

> What else can I do?

Ebay that card and acquire one that will simply work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118112
This LSI card supports 6Gb SAS/SATA3 and 3TB+ drives.

If you have x4 PCIe slots but not x8/x16, then get the Intel card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117141

People buy this SM card because it's the cheapest thing on the planet
with 2xSFF8087 ports (without first looking up its reputation). If the
dual SFF8087 cards above are beyond your budget, go with 2 Silicon Image
based 4 port cards with plain SATA connectors:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027

If you don't have a backplane with SFF8087 connectors, simply use 4
regular SATA cables with the SiI cards. If you do have a backplane, buy
2 new 4 port SATA to SFF8087 2ft reverse breakout cables:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116101

The LSI card is $239, will give far superior performance, and will work
with your current cables. The 2xSiI cards is $120, $154 w/cables.
Either have great Linux compatibility.

--
Stan

Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Darac Marjal

[cut]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS/4G

Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 May 2012 14:38:47 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 13:31:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 May 2012 11:53:27 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro
>>> AOC-SASLP-MV8 as controller for a software raid. Unfortunately the
>>> system crashes when I try creating a filesystem on the md device.
>>
>> JFYI, Google reports tons of problems with that card using mvsas driver
>> in linux, maybe you should consider using a different controller :-(
>
> Thanks for your info.
> I wasn't aware of that :-(

Yeah, that usually happens. I had to read lots of documents before buying
the raid card controller for my servers. I ensured the card was fully
supported by the kernel but still you never know if a bug is going to hit
you at some point. Linux users play with disadvantage here.

> Can you recommend something better?
> It was very nice because it's quite cheap and I don't need a hardware
> raid card.

"Cheap" and "nice" do not usually came together, or to put it well,
"cheap" and "good performance" do not usually match :-)

What kind of hardware do you have (motherboard brand and model) and what
kind of hard disk controller do you need, what are your expectations?

SuperMicro boards (I'm also a SuperMicro user) are usually good enough to
use their embedded SAS/SATA ports, at least if you want to use a software
raid solution :-?

>>> And I can access the disks. Create an ext3 and ext4 filesystem on them
>>> seperately. But they don't like be be in the raid.
>>>
>>> When the system crashed I got this dmesg but I can't find anything in
>>> there:
>>> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZFdkcS8p
>>
>> There are some interesting entries there:
>>
>> [ 12.028337] md: md1 stopped.
(...)
>> [ 12.035275] raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 2 out of 3 devices, algorithm 2
>>
>> Those are related to md1 and your raid5 volume.
>
> And this looks ok or is there a problem?

Well, I'm not familiar with MD (I use hardware raid) but "md1 stopped"
and raid 5 with only 2 elements in the array does not sound very good ;-(

>> [ 12.244499] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
>> [ 12.244502] PM: Resume from partition 8:3
>> [ 12.244503] PM: Checking hibernation image.
>> [ 12.244599] PM: Error -22 checking image file
>> [ 12.244602] PM: Resume from disk failed.
>>
>> And this comes from a resuming operation. Do you hibernate your system?
>
> No I don't. I usually do `sudo halt` to shut it off. But maybe I pressed
> the power button of the case before I collected the dmesg report. But
> usually I don't hibernate.

Okay.

>>> On the screen I saw this:
>>> http://666k.com/u.php
>>> (Sorry it's a photograph)
>>
>> I can't load the image :-?
>
> Sorry I posted the wrong link. This one should work:
>
> http://666kb.com/i/c3f6nbmalagytqujw.jpg

Ugh... and when is that happening, I mean, that "I/O error"? At install time,
when partitioning, after the first boot?

>>> What else can I do?
>>
>> I would report it, although I'm afraid this is a well-known issue.
>
> Where should I report it?

I would try firt in Debian BTS, against the kernel package.

> I've written a mail to Supermicro. Should I also create a Debian bug
> report?

Yup, tough I think it will be forwarded upstream.

>> Sadly, Supermicro does not build binaries for Debian/Ubuntu but maybe
>> you can ask them for the sources to compile the driver by your own.
>
> I found this pages:
>
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Driver/Linux/3.1.0.7/
>
> But it doesn't seem as if it's what I need.

Mmm, your addon card is based on Marvell 6480 chipset, those packages are
for Marvell Odin(88SE64xx) as the README file says. Maybe you need to look
here, instead:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2/

But it doesn't matter because these are also rpm based packages.

> And the supermicro support sent me the link to this zip file:
>
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Firmware/3.1.0.21/Firmware_3.1.0.21.zip
>
> It contains some win files and I have no clue what to do with them. So I
> hope I get an answer from them what to do with it...

Mmm, then the above FTP link you sent was correct, weird...

Well, that ZIP file is for updating the "firmware" of the card, not the
driver. You should not update it unless you are completely sure about what
you are doing, and even more when there's data on the array. Also, ensure
that's the correct firmware version for you card...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On 5/1/2012 8:35 AM, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2012-05-01 11:53:27, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> I'm using Debian Squeeze and would like to use a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
>> as controller for a software raid.
>
> I have a different SuperMicro board and it can run in two
> different modes, forget their names for it, but one supports soft
> raid and the other does not (IT or something). I needed to flash
> the firmware to use the latter, then use mdadm to configure a
> Linux soft array.

Then you must have the 8 port PCI-X AOC-SAT2-MV8, w/Marvell 88SX6081
SATAII controller. This chip uses the Linux sata-mv driver, which works
fine.

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 has the Marvell 88SE6480 SAS controller chip. This
chip uses the mvsas driver, which has simply never worked properly and
often causes massive data loss. Not a desirable trait in a storage driver.

--
Stan

Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Ramon Hofer

On Tue, 01 May 2012 16:16:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Can you recommend something better?
>> It was very nice because it's quite cheap and I don't need a hardware
>> raid card.
>
> "Cheap" and "nice" do not usually came together, or to put it well,
> "cheap" and "good performance" do not usually match :-)
>
> What kind of hardware do you have (motherboard brand and model) and what
> kind of hard disk controller do you need, what are your expectations?
>
> SuperMicro boards (I'm also a SuperMicro user) are usually good enough
> to use their embedded SAS/SATA ports, at least if you want to use a
> software raid solution :-?

I have a Supermicro C7P67 board. But there aren't any SAS connectors
there.

This is a home media server. Earlier I used a debian box with a raid and
a disk for mythtv recordings. But I ran out of space and resurrected an
ReadyNas NV+. But this was so slow and I wanted to have everything
centralized. So I was looking for something else and found this case:

http://cybershop.ri-vier.nl/4u-rackmnt-server-case-w20-hotswap-satasas-
drv-bays-rpc4220-p-18.html

They also had that SAS controller and on the Supermicro website they
wrote it would be SUSE and Red Hat compatible. So I thought it runs too
under Debian.

So performance isn't very important. But I don't know what exactly you
mean by expectations. The controller should give access to the disks.
They will mostly be slow green drives. It's not even a very big problem
if it's limited to 3 TB but of course it would be nice if I could also go
bigger in some years when I run out of space again and want to add
another raid.

So the media server contains one analogue PCI tuner card (PVR-500) and
one (maybe in future a second one will be added) TeVii (S480) sat tuner
card.

Now I have one 500 GB disk as system drive but I'm thinking of adding
another one as RAID1.
With the 20 hot swap slots in the case, the two system drives and an
optical drive I need 23 sata connectors. Or better four SAS connectors
and the eight SATA ports on the mainboard.

I think software raid will cause me less cost and problem because when
the controller fails I can replace it by anything that can talk SAS?

>>> There are some interesting entries there:
>>>
>>> [ 12.028337] md: md1 stopped.
> (...)
>>> [ 12.035275] raid5: raid level 5 set md1 active with 2 out of 3
>>> devices, algorithm 2
>>>
>>> Those are related to md1 and your raid5 volume.
>>
>> And this looks ok or is there a problem?
>
> Well, I'm not familiar with MD (I use hardware raid) but "md1 stopped"
> and raid 5 with only 2 elements in the array does not sound very good
> ;-(

Ah, yes you're right :-o

Was this during bootup? I recreated the array again after bootup...

>>> I can't load the image :-?
>>
>> Sorry I posted the wrong link. This one should work:
>>
>> http://666kb.com/i/c3f6nbmalagytqujw.jpg
>
> Ugh... and when is that happening, I mean, that "I/O error"? At install
> time, when partitioning, after the first boot?

This usually happens when I tried to create the filesystem on the raid
array by

sudo mkfs.ext4 -c -L test-device-1 /dev/md1

And when I then want to see details about the array (sudo mdadm --detail /
dev/md1) the system crashes and I get the I/O error.

This causes so much problem that I wasn't able to repair it when it
happened the first time (afterwards I had nothing to recover ;-) ).

I posted it here:

>>> I would report it, although I'm afraid this is a well-known issue.
>>
>> Where should I report it?
>
> I would try firt in Debian BTS, against the kernel package.
>
>> I've written a mail to Supermicro. Should I also create a Debian bug
>> report?
>
> Yup, tough I think it will be forwarded upstream.

Thanks I will run reportbug.

But in the meantime I have installed the bpo kernel and it seems to be
working now...
At least it never run the disk check for so long, the raid is rebuilding
and I can see the details as much as I want...

>>> Sadly, Supermicro does not build binaries for Debian/Ubuntu but maybe
>>> you can ask them for the sources to compile the driver by your own.
>>
>> I found this pages:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Driver/
Linux/3.1.0.7/

>> But it doesn't seem as if it's what I need.
>
> Mmm, your addon card is based on Marvell 6480 chipset, those packages
> are for Marvell Odin(88SE64xx) as the README file says. Maybe you need
> to look here, instead:
>
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2/
>
> But it doesn't matter because these are also rpm based packages.
>
>> And the supermicro support sent me the link to this zip file:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.supermicro.nl/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS1/Firmware/3.1.0.21/
Firmware_3.1.0.21.zip

>> It contains some win files and I have no clue what to do with them. So
>> I hope I get an answer from them what to do with it...
>
> Mmm, then the above FTP link you sent was correct, weird...
>
> Well, that ZIP file is for updating the "firmware" of the card, not the
> driver. You should not update it unless you are completely sure about
> what you are doing, and even more when there's data on the array. Also,
> ensure that's the correct firmware version for you card...

You're about an hour too late :-o
But I already had the newest firmware on the card.

But I'm confused about the two different versions too.
lspci shows:

Best regards
Ramon