Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Tom H

Default change local definitions

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Ivo Daniel Alves
<ivodaniel.alves@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using Amanda on SL 6.2 to backup several computers including windows
> workstations.
>
> When I do the backups from windows clients, I get some errors when
> compressing with zip because of special chars that like "" "", or" ", for
> example (European portuguese: PT_pt).
> *I think this happens because SL is using UFT8 by default. Can I change it
> to iso88591? How? Can I use both "char" settings?
> In the next lines de output of "locale" and "locale -a"
>
> [ivo@mega ~]$ locale
> LANG=pt_PT.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_TIME="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_NAME="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_PT.utf8"
> LC_ALL=

You can use "/etc/sysconfig/i18n".

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
David Sastre Medina

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:55:47AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Ivo Daniel Alves
> <ivodaniel.alves@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Amanda on SL 6.2 to backup several computers including windows
> > workstations.
> >
> > When I do the backups from windows clients, I get some errors when
> > compressing with zip because of special chars that like "" "", or" ", for
> > example (European portuguese: PT_pt).
> > *I think this happens because SL is using UFT8 by default. Can I change it
> > to iso88591? How? Can I use both "char" settings?
> > In the next lines de output of "locale" and "locale -a"
> >
> > [ivo@mega ~]$ locale
> > LANG=pt_PT.utf8
> > LC_CTYPE="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_NUMERIC="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_TIME="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_COLLATE="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_MESSAGES="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_PAPER="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_NAME="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_ADDRESS="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_PT.utf8"
> > LC_ALL=
>
> You can use "/etc/sysconfig/i18n".

...if you are on RHEL or CentOS or Fedora.
Debian way would be dpkg-reconfigure locales.

Also, UTF-8 should give you wider coverage than latin-1, IIRC.

--
Primary key fingerprint: AD8F BDC0 5A2C FD5F A179 60E7 F79B AB04 5299 EC56