Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Brian

Default Desktop use (xfce) and system groups

On Mon 30 Apr 2012 at 23:16:03 +0300, Touko Korpela wrote:

> Hi.
> I'm running wheezy. Can someone give a list of groups, that desktop users
> should belong that video/audio playback (pulseaudio) work smoothly and they
> can for example shutdown/reboot system and use removable media without root
> password?

An Xfce install can implement all those actions. It would be better if
you could describe what it is you cannot do or what you want to achieve.

> Here is group listing from installed system.
[List of groups snipped]

Looks ok.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Touko Korpela

Brian wrote:

>> Hi.
>> I'm running wheezy. Can someone give a list of groups, that desktop users
>> should belong that video/audio playback (pulseaudio) work smoothly and
>> they
>> can for example shutdown/reboot system and use removable media without
>> root
>> password?

>An Xfce install can implement all those actions. It would be better if
>you could describe what it is you cannot do or what you want to achieve.

User is in (cdrom,floppy,audio,video,plugdev,scanner,netdev,b luetooth) groups
but root password is asked when trying to reboot or shutdown. I'm using
lightdm display manager. Looks like "xdm" package is removed but not purged,
can it cause problems? Display manager was automatically changed with
task-xfce-desktop version 3.06. I don't remember did it work before.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Ma, 01 mai 12, 13:30:13, Touko Korpela wrote:

> User is in (cdrom,floppy,audio,video,plugdev,scanner,netdev,b luetooth) groups
> but root password is asked when trying to reboot or shutdown. I'm using
> lightdm display manager.

Do you have a terminal or xterm running as root? Try closing it first.

> Looks like "xdm" package is removed but not purged,
> can it cause problems? Display manager was automatically changed with
> task-xfce-desktop version 3.06. I don't remember did it work before.

Probably doesn't matter, but I would purge xdm.

Kind regards,
Andrei