Old 04-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Bonno Bloksma

Default dhclient

Hi,

I have a server with several NICs, most of them have fixes addresses. One has an address assigned via DHCP as is it the cable internet connection.
I now have a problem with that connection and want to reconnect by forcing a DHCP renewal, but... how?

As on this server there is only one NIC with a DHCP assigned address I might get away with just a restart of the dhclient service but, is there a way to just request it for one nic?
I was unable to find it in the docs.

Bonno

Old 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Alberto Luaces

Bonno Bloksma writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a server with several NICs, most of them have fixes addresses. One has an address assigned via DHCP as is it the cable internet connection.
> I now have a problem with that connection and want to reconnect by forcing a DHCP renewal, but... how?
>
> As on this server there is only one NIC with a DHCP assigned address I might get away with just a restart of the dhclient service but, is there a way to just request it for one nic?
> I was unable to find it in the docs.

ifdown $dhcp_NIC ; ifup $dhcp_NIC

should do if you substitute $dhcp_NIC by the interface representing that
NIC.

--
Alberto

Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:23:52 +0000, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> I have a server with several NICs, most of them have fixes addresses.
> One has an address assigned via DHCP as is it the cable internet
> connection. I now have a problem with that connection and want to
> reconnect by forcing a DHCP renewal, but... how?

(...)

"dhclient -r $dev && dhclient $dev" should do the trick.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón