Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

Default how to set correct time, using debian wheezy with LXDE

Hola!

I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.

My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I install so that I
can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?

Kjetil

--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Hi,

30.04.2012 20:39, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen kirjoitti:
> Hola!
>

> I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.
>
> My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I
> install so that I
> can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?
>
> Kjetil
>

> --
> "If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
> human face - forever."
>
> George Orwell (1984)

Try running "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" as root. It should ask you which
TZ you are on. The package "tzdata" has priority "required", so I think
that you should have it installed already.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Indulekha

Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hola!
>

> I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.
>
> My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I
> install so that I
> can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?

There are two things to consider -- hardware clock and timezone.
The hardware clock is usually set in your bios, timezone is done
by copying the appropriate file from /usr/share/zoneinfo to
/etc/localtime. If you have to dual-boot with windows you probably
need to set your hw clock to localtime, otherwise it's best to set
it to GMT.

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 12:39 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> Hola!
>

> I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.
>
> My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I
> install so that I
> can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?
>
> Kjetil
>

> --
> "If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
> human face - forever."
>
> George Orwell (1984)

1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry UTC=yes or UTC=no.
It should fit to the way you handle the clock.
2. Install and run ntpdate as superuser: ntpdate -u ntp.favey.ch
It automatically will set time and date.

Hth,
Ralf

Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Ralf Mardorf

PS: http://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Roger Leigh

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:33:53PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 12:39 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> > Hola!
> >

> > I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.
> >
> > My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I
> > install so that I
> > can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?
> >
> > Kjetil
> >

> > --
> > "If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
> > human face - forever."
> >
> > George Orwell (1984)
>
> 1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry UTC=yes or UTC=no.
> It should fit to the way you handle the clock.

This is correct. However, it will hopefully be removed soon, at
which point it will be stored directly in hwclock's conffile, and
you can then change the setting using --utc or --localtime as
documented in the hwclock manpage.

Note this hasn't happened yet, but is pending upload.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh
`. `' schroot and sbuild http://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools

Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 23:18 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:33:53PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 12:39 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> > > Hola!
> > >

> > > I am using debian wheezy (amd-64), with LXDE.
> > >
> > > My problem is that the computer clock is WRONG. Which program should I
> > > install so that I
> > > can fix time (definig tz, etc), with LXDE?
> > >
> > > Kjetil
> > >

> > > --
> > > "If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
> > > human face - forever."
> > >
> > > George Orwell (1984)
> >
> > 1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry UTC=yes or UTC=no.
> > It should fit to the way you handle the clock.
>
> This is correct. However, it will hopefully be removed soon, at
> which point it will be stored directly in hwclock's conffile, and
> you can then change the setting using --utc or --localtime as
> documented in the hwclock manpage.
>
> Note this hasn't happened yet, but is pending upload.

Hopefully FS checks some day will stop to announce, that a FS was last
time booted in the future .

Anyway, issues regarding to the time usually are caused by an empty
battery or by the entry in /etc/default/rcS. Timezone and ntp (sntp)
usually are ok .

Regards,
Ralf

Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 01:30 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 23:18 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> > > 1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry UTC=yes or UTC=no.
> > > It should fit to the way you handle the clock.
> >
> > This is correct. However, it will hopefully be removed soon, at
> > which point it will be stored directly in hwclock's conffile, and
> > you can then change the setting using --utc or --localtime as
> > documented in the hwclock manpage.
> >
> > Note this hasn't happened yet, but is pending upload.
>
> Hopefully FS checks some day will stop to announce, that a FS was last
> time booted in the future .
>
> Anyway, issues regarding to the time usually are caused by an empty
> battery or by the entry in /etc/default/rcS. Timezone and ntp (sntp)
> usually are ok .
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

PS:

For my usage the time isn't much important. I need complete independent
backups, instead of syncs and I mount partitions with noatime, but for
some usages the time can be very, very, very important.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 19:50 -0500, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> > > George Orwell (1984)
> >
> > 1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry
> UTC=yes or UTC=no.
> > It should fit to the way you handle the clock.
> > 2. Install and run ntpdate as superuser: ntpdate -u
> ntp.favey.ch
>

> That did the trick!
>
> Kjetil

Out of interest: Was it the UTC issue?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Tom H

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> * * * * >
>> * * * * > 1. Take care about /etc/default/rcS, there's an entry
>> * * * * UTC=yes or UTC=no.
>> * * * * > It should fit to the way you handle the clock.
>> * * * * > 2. Install and run ntpdate as superuser: ntpdate -u
>> * * * * ntp.favey.ch
>>
>> That did the trick!
>
> Out of interest: Was it the UTC issue?

When dual-booting with Windows, you have Linux to set to localtime,
unless you change Windows to UTC via its registry.