Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Camaleón

Default Mails coming from "joe1assistly@gmail.com"

Hello,

Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
messages of this mailing list?

I'm now getting this which pretends to be from myself so I guess the
other posts I received were also faked in the same way.

***
Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up

1QA4xxx2a | Apr 30, 2012 02:54PM UTC

Thank you for submitting your request. We have received your request and
are working on responding to you as soon as possible. If you have any
additional information to add to this case, please reply to this email.

Thanks in advance for your patience and support.

This message was sent to noelamac@gmail.com in reference to Case #79920.
***

These messages seem to be related with this site:

http://portal.joegiglio.org

Anyone knows what's this?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Mika Suomalainen

30.04.2012 19:11, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
> messages of this mailing list?
>
> I'm now getting this which pretends to be from myself so I guess the
> other posts I received were also faked in the same way.
>
> ***
> Re: 2TB USB hard drive for backing up
>
> 1QA4xxx2a | Apr 30, 2012 02:54PM UTC
>
> Thank you for submitting your request. We have received your request and
> are working on responding to you as soon as possible. If you have any
> additional information to add to this case, please reply to this email.
>
> Thanks in advance for your patience and support.

> This message was sent to noelamac@gmail.com in reference to Case #79920.
> ***
>
> These messages seem to be related with this site:
>
> http://portal.joegiglio.org
>
> Anyone knows what's this?
>
> Greetings,

I am not receiving anything like that. Have you happened to post about
this issue earlier to this list or am I just imagining it?

By the way, this looks like a reason to GPG sign everything, like I am
doing. There is sometimes arguing at gnupg-user and enigmail user about
should messages to mailing lists be signed or not. I think that there
was once such arguement here too in some of those multiple [OT] Posting
styles threads.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Indulekha

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
> messages of this mailing list?

I've received a few as well, and I'm not even subscribed (I read
the list on usenet instead). It's probably due to someone using an
infected machine (windos, android, or mac are all likely culprits).
Sadly very common on mailing lists for years now...
I keep waiting for Ubuntu to get hit with malware, surprising it
hasn't happened yet (though it almost certainly will).

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:04:38 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> 30.04.2012 19:11, Camaleón kirjoitti:

>> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
>> messages of this mailing list?
>>
>> I'm now getting this which pretends to be from myself so I guess the
>> other posts I received were also faked in the same way.

(...)

>> These messages seem to be related with this site:
>>
>> http://portal.joegiglio.org
>>
>> Anyone knows what's this?
>>

> I am not receiving anything like that. Have you happened to post about
> this issue earlier to this list or am I just imagining it?

Yes, I first (and wrongly) thought this could be a misconfigured auto-
responder, a bad gateway configuration or something like that but now I
see this is something that is done automatically and randomly.

> By the way, this looks like a reason to GPG sign everything, like I am
> doing. There is sometimes arguing at gnupg-user and enigmail user about
> should messages to mailing lists be signed or not. I think that there
> was once such arguement here too in some of those multiple [OT] Posting
> styles threads.

I would be against forcing the usage of signed e-mails for mailing lists
which, by the way, can be also automated and used to send spam or "faked"
messages: you don't solve a problem like this with just GPG/PGP, you need
to apply additional counter-measures.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:11:37 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Camaleón,

> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
> messages of this mailing list?

Not had any, but I'm an infrequent writer here. Could it be that,
because you're posting via the newsgroup rather than direct to the ML,
someone/something on that route is causing the problem, perhaps?

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
Mika Suomalainen

30.04.2012 20:16, Camaleón kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:04:38 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>
>> 30.04.2012 19:11, Camaleón kirjoitti:
>
>>> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
>>> messages of this mailing list?
>>>
>>> I'm now getting this which pretends to be from myself so I guess the
>>> other posts I received were also faked in the same way.
>
> (...)
>
>>> These messages seem to be related with this site:
>>>
>>> http://portal.joegiglio.org
>>>
>>> Anyone knows what's this?
>>>

>> I am not receiving anything like that. Have you happened to post about
>> this issue earlier to this list or am I just imagining it?
>
> Yes, I first (and wrongly) thought this could be a misconfigured auto-
> responder, a bad gateway configuration or something like that but now I
> see this is something that is done automatically and randomly.
>
>> By the way, this looks like a reason to GPG sign everything, like I am
>> doing. There is sometimes arguing at gnupg-user and enigmail user about
>> should messages to mailing lists be signed or not. I think that there
>> was once such arguement here too in some of those multiple [OT] Posting
>> styles threads.
>
> I would be against forcing the usage of signed e-mails for mailing lists
> which, by the way, can be also automated and used to send spam or "faked"
> messages: you don't solve a problem like this with just GPG/PGP, you need
> to apply additional counter-measures.
>
> Greetings,

You misunderstood me. I only said that it's a reason to use GPG, not
that it should be forced.
If GPG signatures would be forced, amount of posts on this list would
drop and there wouldn't be so many people on this list.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 18:25:05 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:11:37 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello Camaleón,
>
>> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
>> messages of this mailing list?
>
> Not had any, but I'm an infrequent writer here. Could it be that,
> because you're posting via the newsgroup rather than direct to the ML,
> someone/something on that route is causing the problem, perhaps?

That could be the common link for those who receive these messages
(Indulekha is also using an external gateway and also gets them).

But I still fail to see what can cause this which OTOH, only happens in
this mailing list (I follow -read/post- another Debian mailing lists via
Gmane but I don't get this kind of replies :-?).

Okay... I will add a rule to Gmail and problem solved. Thanks all for
your input.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 08:04:38PM +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> By the way, this looks like a reason to GPG sign everything, like I am
> doing. There is sometimes arguing at gnupg-user and enigmail user about
> should messages to mailing lists be signed or not. I think that there
> was once such arguement here too in some of those multiple [OT] Posting
> styles threads.

How would that prevent or otherwise help solve this problem?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Mika Suomalainen

30.04.2012 20:54, Jon Dowland kirjoitti:
> How would that prevent or otherwise help solve this problem?

It wouldn't, but it would give people a hint that message is faked if
it's missing signature and that person usually signs everything.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Brian

On Mon 30 Apr 2012 at 16:11:37 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Is just me who receives this sort of e-mails when replying to certain
> messages of this mailing list?

I'm not. Not unless my anti-spam measures have evolved without my
knowing!

> I'm now getting this which pretends to be from myself so I guess the
> other posts I received were also faked in the same way.

The envelope To cannot be faked, otherwise you would not have got the
mail. Seeing the Received: headers, or some of them, for this and other
mails might be useful. Reading from the bottom it will be the first
three or four which will be of interest.