-   -   debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #701 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/66140-debian-user-digest-digest-v2008-701-a.html)

"El Amigo De La Playa" 04-08-2008 10:00 AM

debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #701

>I personally prefer "reply to list" myself for other reasons, but I

couldn't fault his logic.

Thanks, Chris, for your tip... While I am posting here, I am curious to know the routine of Gmail users receiving their mailing lists on their regular web browsers. (This is how I read my mail too). I usually hit "answer to all"... Maybe there's a better way ?

A: If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly

encouraged to stay with stable. However, there is some limited security

support for testing:

Good read ! I must say I was not aware ! (that shows me my ignorance ;o) )... Anyway, apart from my main desktop and my PPC laptop, which are both running Testing, all other PC's are on Stable... But I really enjoy learning a bit more everyday, thanks Chris !

What should you report?

=======================

In short: Everything which could have a noticable impact on the Debian

Project or its user base.

-Can we just send articles about our use of Debian, or views, opinion etc... ?

========================
El Amigo, the tropical Debianista :o)
========================

"Owen Townend" 04-08-2008 11:34 AM

On 08/04/2008, El Amigo De La Playa <tropicalswim@gmail.com> wrote:
>I personally prefer "reply to list" myself for other reasons, but I
couldn't fault his logic.

Thanks, Chris, for your tip... While I am posting here, I am curious to know the routine of Gmail users receiving their mailing lists on their regular web browsers. (This is how I read my mail too). I usually hit "answer to all"... Maybe there's a better way ?

**I*use*'Reply*to*all'*and simply cut/paste the list adress*from*the*'Cc:' to the 'To:' field to avoid sending off-list replies.

> A: If you want to have a secure (and stable) server you are strongly
encouraged to stay with stable. However, there is some limited security
support for testing:

Good read ! I must say I was not aware ! (that shows me my ignorance ;o) )... Anyway, apart from my main desktop and my PPC laptop, which are both running Testing, all other PC's are on Stable... But I really enjoy learning a bit more everyday, thanks Chris !

**The*releases*may*not*be*as*often*as*some*other distros*but when debian says 'stable' it means it.
**For reference I use testing for my mythtv*box*but*stable on my fileserver (or*at*least*did*before*they*became*one).

**The options of unstable (sid)*-> testing (lenny) -> stable (etch) can be summed up as:
-> Bleeding Edge*(latest*and*greatest,*but*has a highy risk of breaking)
-> Forefront*(may break, but shouldn't)

->*Vanguarde*(if it breaks, it*is*probably*a case of PEBKAC)

**Check*http://www.us.debian.org/releases for details. There*there are links to the security team FAQ which*describes*their*approach*to*security*in*the* various*releases.

In short: Everything which could have a noticable impact on the Debian
Project or its user base.

-Can we just send articles about our use of Debian, or views, opinion etc... ?

El Amigo, the tropical Debianista :o)

**If replying*to digests please rewrite the subject line to something more meaningful than 're: Digest'. Replying to digests breaks threading in most (all?) viewers so*even with the quoted portions it is difficult to place where this is from when it is in isolation.

cheers,
Owen.