Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default OT - New Google algorithm

For the last 3 weeks there has been a roughly 70 per cent drop in the
number of hits on my web pages (although one of these pages in contrast,
has seen a steep increase). Googling finds that there has been a change
in the algorithm they use, which is intended to catch people using
underhand methbods of inflating their hit rate. (I don't do this.) Has
anyone else noticed anything similar?

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Shaun

On 30/04/2012 11:04, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> For the last 3 weeks there has been a roughly 70 per cent drop in the
> number of hits on my web pages (although one of these pages in contrast,
> has seen a steep increase). Googling finds that there has been a change
> in the algorithm they use, which is intended to catch people using
> underhand methbods of inflating their hit rate. (I don't do this.) Has
> anyone else noticed anything similar?

You can always get the Google Toolbar add-in for Firefox and see what
your Google Page Rank is. I know Google announced that they were going
to be moving to a context based search offering unique search results
and would be making major changes this month.

The only way to make sure you always hit high is to make sure you're
relevant and your site is responsive and adheres to W3C standards.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:04:57 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> For the last 3 weeks there has been a roughly 70 per cent drop in the
> number of hits on my web pages (although one of these pages in contrast,
> has seen a steep increase). Googling finds that there has been a change
> in the algorithm they use, which is intended to catch people using
> underhand methbods of inflating their hit rate. (I don't do this.) Has
> anyone else noticed anything similar?

If you are not making use of any automated SEO tool that can be making
"biased" assignments to match your site with the desired keywords, I
wouldn't worry too much about it. Wait a bit until Google's algorithm
normalizes its results; IIRC, the last update change was done a couple of
days ago...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 30 Apr 2012, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:04:57 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > For the last 3 weeks there has been a roughly 70 per cent drop in the
> > number of hits on my web pages (although one of these pages in contrast,
> > has seen a steep increase). Googling finds that there has been a change
> > in the algorithm they use, which is intended to catch people using
> > underhand methbods of inflating their hit rate. (I don't do this.) Has
> > anyone else noticed anything similar?
>
> If you are not making use of any automated SEO tool that can be making
> "biased" assignments to match your site with the desired keywords, I
> wouldn't worry too much about it. Wait a bit until Google's algorithm
> normalizes its results; IIRC, the last update change was done a couple of
> days ago...
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have anything like that. I'll give it
a bit of time, as you say.

Regards,

Anthony
--