Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM
keith

Default genisoimage and truncating of file names

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:47:11 +0100
Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>
> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o
> ~/irishceltic.iso /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection
> Version 2/ .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .

Try it with:-

genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic" -hide-rr-moved .

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>

Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:51:52AM +0100, keith wrote:
> Try it with:-
>
> genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic" -hide-rr-moved .

In particular, the -R option (although -r is better) and -J options are what
do the trick here. -J is good particularly if you want your disc to work on
non-Linux or UNIX operating systems.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Camalen

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:47:11 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd for
> backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting disc
> I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of its
> title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>
> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
> /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection Version 2/
> .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .
>
> I cant see anything in man genisoimage or its help file of any use for
> this problem, and would welcome any help that people can give.

There's something about geniso and long filenames here:

http://wiki.debian.org/genisoimage

Check if that's enough for you.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 03:48:59PM +0000, Camalen wrote:
> There's something about geniso and long filenames here:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/genisoimage
>
> Check if that's enough for you.

That page offers nothing more than a subset of the manpage, and nothing more
than the other posts to this thread have already covered.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Sthu Deus

Good time of the day, Chris.

You worte:

> > I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
> > for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
> > disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
> > its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
> > obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.

> It probably doesn't like spaces in filenames.
> I'd convert all the files to names without spaces.
> I'd also remove any single or double quotes in them.

> I, myself, would be interested in a better way of doing this.

For this time I have no idea which exactly options for the .iso making
program parameters but I can assure You that it is possible - I did
that many times years ago (I did it w/ k3b) and there was no need to
change any how dir./file -names - all looked well.

Just play w/ diver options, using just single file - to make Your tests
faster.

Sthu.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 30/04/2012, keith <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:47:11 +0100
> Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
>> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
>> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
>> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
>> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>>
>> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o
>> ~/irishceltic.iso /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection
>> Version 2/ .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .
>>

> Try it with:-
>
> genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic" -hide-rr-moved
> .

When I run the above command this is the result ........ File
./irishceltic.iso is larger than 4GiB-1.
-allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent
this file size. Aborting.

irishceltic.iso is 18.9gb in size

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.1

Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Sharon Kimble

On 30/04/2012, Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/04/2012, keith <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:47:11 +0100
>> Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am creating an iso with genisoimage prepatory to burning it to dvd
>>> for backing up of my music collection, and on checking the resulting
>>> disc I'm finding that the mp3 name is truncated to the first word of
>>> its title. I feel that this is happening with genisoimage and would
>>> obvioulsy like to have the full mp3 title.
>>>
>>> The command to genisoimage is ......... genisoimage -o
>>> ~/irishceltic.iso /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection
>>> Version 2/ .......... which creates the file irishceltic.iso .
>>>

>> Try it with:-
>>
>> genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic"
>> -hide-rr-moved
>> .
>>

> When I run the above command this is the result ........ File
> ./irishceltic.iso is larger than 4GiB-1.
> -allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent
> this file size. Aborting.
>
> irishceltic.iso is 18.9gb in size

I've just completed a blog posting about all of this, where you can
see what I've done and in what order too.

However, my final act was to burn the xaa.iso file to a dvd using k3b.
Looking at the finished dvd I see that every file name is truncated to
the first 12 characters, something which I think k3b is doing. Is
there any way round this that folks know please? It seems a pity to
spoil all the work done at the final step!

Thanks
Sharon.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 AM
Indulekha

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 01:16:54AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On 30/04/2012, Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30/04/2012, keith <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Try it with:-
> >>
> >> genisoimage -o irishceltic.iso -R -J -l -v -V "Irish Celtic"
> >> -hide-rr-moved
> >> .
> >>

> > When I run the above command this is the result ........ File
> > ./irishceltic.iso is larger than 4GiB-1.
> > -allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent
> > this file size. Aborting.
> >
> > irishceltic.iso is 18.9gb in size
> >
> I've just completed a blog posting about all of this, where you can
> see what I've done and in what order too.
>
> However, my final act was to burn the xaa.iso file to a dvd using k3b.
> Looking at the finished dvd I see that every file name is truncated to
> the first 12 characters, something which I think k3b is doing. Is
> there any way round this that folks know please? It seems a pity to
> spoil all the work done at the final step!
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.
> --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
> efever = http://www.efever.blogspot.com/
> efever = http://sharon04.livejournal.com/
> Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.1
> Registered Linux user 334501

Why don't you just rename your files, replacing the spaces with underscores?
It's easy enough to do and to reverse...

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 AM
"John L. Cunningham"

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 01:16:54AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I've just completed a blog posting about all of this, where you can
> see what I've done and in what order too.
>
> However, my final act was to burn the xaa.iso file to a dvd using k3b.
> Looking at the finished dvd I see that every file name is truncated to
> the first 12 characters, something which I think k3b is doing. Is
> there any way round this that folks know please? It seems a pity to
> spoil all the work done at the final step!
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Eight-dot-three is technically 12 characters. I wouldn't be surprised if the
culprit is genisoimage and not k3b. It looks like the default filesystem is
ISO9660. The man page doesn't say which level, but Level 1 can't handle long
filenames. If the filename length matters, I use the "-l" switch to enable
full 31-characters. There are other options that enable longer filenames. "man genisoimage" is your friend.

I find it amazing that splitting an iso file results in something a DVD player can read. Actually, this could be the problem too, depending on how the meta information about the filesystem is stored.

As others have said, it's probably best if you create multiple DVD-sized iso files rather than chopping up one giant file. It sure seems like there would be some script out there that handles disk spanning, but nothing came up with my initial google search. Maybe because everyone else does what I do, which is fire up Brasero and select the files by hand?

John

Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM
Sharon Kimble

On 01/05/2012, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 01:16:54AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

>> > When I run the above command this is the result ........ File
>> > ./irishceltic.iso is larger than 4GiB-1.
>> > -allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent
>> > this file size. Aborting.
>> >
>> > irishceltic.iso is 18.9gb in size
>> >
>> I've just completed a blog posting about all of this, where you can
>> see what I've done and in what order too.
>>
>> However, my final act was to burn the xaa.iso file to a dvd using k3b.
>> Looking at the finished dvd I see that every file name is truncated to
>> the first 12 characters, something which I think k3b is doing. Is
>> there any way round this that folks know please? It seems a pity to
>> spoil all the work done at the final step!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.
>> --

> Why don't you just rename your files, replacing the spaces with
> underscores?
> It's easy enough to do and to reverse...
>
> --
> Indulekha

Thats exactly what i've just done using a script that’s been given me
which replaces the spaces with underscores, it did the whole shebang
in less time than it takes me to brew a cup o f tea!

Thanks
Sharon.