Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Sharon Kimble

Default SOLVED genisoimage and burning the iso created.

On 29/04/2012, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 02:13:37 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> i have just created an iso of some of my music collection so that i can
>> play them off the DVD, delete them off the hard drive and free up more
>> space for new music, that’s the plan anyhow.
>>
>> The command i used was ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
>> /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection Version 2/ ........
>> and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>>
>> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD from
>> one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>>
>> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done from
>> the command line please?
>
> I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
> "split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and
> "cat" (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.
>
> Greeting

Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
/home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.

Thanks to all
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.1

Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:17:28AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.

Won't there be a problem with songs being split in the middle?

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Jon Dowland

I missed your reply because you did not reply to an existing message in your
thread. Please do this so that your reply shows up in the same place as your
original message, for people who use threaded mail readers.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 02:17:28AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.

This will let you burn the ISO image onto multiple discs, but you will not
be able to read it (or any files within) unless the ISO is recombined (by
concatenating all the parts via cat(1) or another tool and writing a new
file). See more recent replies to your message for alternative solutions.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Indulekha

Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/04/2012, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 02:13:37 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>
>>> i have just created an iso of some of my music collection so that i can
>>> play them off the DVD, delete them off the hard drive and free up more
>>> space for new music, that’s the plan anyhow.
>>>
>>> The command i used was ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
>>> /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection Version 2/ ........
>>> and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>>>
>>> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD from
>>> one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>>>
>>> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done from
>>> the command line please?
>>
>> I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
>> "split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and
>> "cat" (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.
>>
>> Greeting
>>
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.

As others have pointed out, your issue is not likely solved by using
split to create pieces of the original iso -- you need complete iso
images sized to fit your media, otherwise you have to copy the contents
of all the disks to your hard drive and reassemble the original image
before any of it becomes usable.

I was just reading somewhere about a package called datapacker, which
might do the trick. I've never tested it though. If you try it, please
let us know if it worked for you. And please confirm by using the disks
you burned first. Burning is really only part of the solution.
http://software.complete.org/datapacker

HTH!
--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Camalen

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:17:28 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> On 29/04/2012, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
>> "split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and "cat"
>> (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.
>>
> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.
>
> Thanks to all

You're welcome.

For archiving purposes (like yours) that's the fastest and easiest way to
put big ISO files into DVDs. I maybe also add to the archive a md5sum
file to check the ISO integrity after restoring ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 03:44:54PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> For archiving purposes (like yours) that's the fastest and easiest way to
> put big ISO files into DVDs. I maybe also add to the archive a md5sum
> file to check the ISO integrity after restoring ;-)

Aside from this case (misunderstanding when creating the ISO image), how
often else will people end up in a situation where they need to split ISO
files? Backing up dual-layer DVD images to single layer DVDs? Or Blu-Ray
images? It seems like a very niche problem. With data images (as oppose
to DVD Video images or others where the specific filesystem layout can be
important), repacking is almost always going to be a wiser choice,
especially if you choose an archive format that handles splitting natively
(e.g. zip, or non-free rar) and in-archive checksumming (again zip, rar…)

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 30/04/2012, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
> Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
>>> "split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and
>>> "cat" (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.
>>>
>>> Greeting
>>>
>> Split was indeed the answer, using it as ....... split -b 4000m
>> /home/boztu/irishceltic.iso ...... and it splits the 18.9 gb file into
>> 3.9 gb files which just need to be renamed as xaa.iso, or
>> xab.iso/xac.iso, and then the image is burnt using k3b.
>>

> As others have pointed out, your issue is not likely solved by using
> split to create pieces of the original iso -- you need complete iso
> images sized to fit your media, otherwise you have to copy the contents
> of all the disks to your hard drive and reassemble the original image
> before any of it becomes usable.
>
> I was just reading somewhere about a package called datapacker, which
> might do the trick. I've never tested it though. If you try it, please
> let us know if it worked for you. And please confirm by using the disks
> you burned first. Burning is really only part of the solution.
> http://software.complete.org/datapacker

I installed datapacker from the repo but do not understand how to use
it. It does not appear to be able to be directed to a specific
directory where the mp3 files are without checking other directories.
I've read http://jgoerzen.github.com/datapacker/datapacker.html but
still fail to understand how to use it.

Yes, I check the dvds when i've burnt them that they are readable by
me and the computer itself.

Thanks
Sharon.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Indulekha

Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed datapacker from the repo but do not understand how to use
> it. It does not appear to be able to be directed to a specific
> directory where the mp3 files are without checking other directories.
> I've read http://jgoerzen.github.com/datapacker/datapacker.html but
> still fail to understand how to use it.

I don't have time to look into it right now, but a quick glance at
"man datapacker" does show there are quite a few options, and so
it may not not particularly simple to use for the first time.
Nowadays I usually just put things on USB sticks or external hard
drives, so there's rarely a reason for me to write to optical media.
IDK why none of the GUI disk writing programs can do it automatically,
though -- I do know windos media player can do this automatically
because I did it once for a friend. It's about the only thing I was
ever really impressed by in windos, LOL. I dragged and dropped 77 GB
of music into wmp's burning screen (whatever they call it) and it
immediately proposed a solution. I accepted, and it worked great.
Wish we had something like that!
(minus the DRM-encrusted garbage that makes up much of wmp, of course)

> Yes, I check the dvds when i've burnt them that they are readable by
> me and the computer itself.

That's rather peculiar. I have the distinct impression that the best
one can do with "split" is to end up with mere *fragments* of the
original iso, which must then be reassembled to be useful.
Has this changed? Or perhaps I misunderstood what your goal was?
I though you were looking to play music files directly from the
resulting dvds...

--
❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤ ♫ ❤
Indulekha

Old 04-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Sharon Kimble

On 30/04/2012, Indulekha <indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
> Sharon Kimble <skimble04@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> I installed datapacker from the repo but do not understand how to use
>> it. It does not appear to be able to be directed to a specific
>> directory where the mp3 files are without checking other directories.
>> I've read http://jgoerzen.github.com/datapacker/datapacker.html but
>> still fail to understand how to use it.
>>

> I don't have time to look into it right now, but a quick glance at
> "man datapacker" does show there are quite a few options, and so
> it may not not particularly simple to use for the first time.
> Nowadays I usually just put things on USB sticks or external hard
> drives, so there's rarely a reason for me to write to optical media.
> IDK why none of the GUI disk writing programs can do it automatically,
> though -- I do know windos media player can do this automatically
> because I did it once for a friend. It's about the only thing I was
> ever really impressed by in windos, LOL. I dragged and dropped 77 GB
> of music into wmp's burning screen (whatever they call it) and it
> immediately proposed a solution. I accepted, and it worked great.
> Wish we had something like that!
> (minus the DRM-encrusted garbage that makes up much of wmp, of course)
>
>> Yes, I check the dvds when i've burnt them that they are readable by
>> me and the computer itself.
>>

> That's rather peculiar. I have the distinct impression that the best
> one can do with "split" is to end up with mere *fragments* of the
> original iso, which must then be reassembled to be useful.
> Has this changed? Or perhaps I misunderstood what your goal was?
> I though you were looking to play music files directly from the
> resulting dvds...

Yes, I'm listening to a dvd that I've already burnt using genisoimage
and split containing 1199 mp3s with no difficulty.

Split works by carving chunks out of the original file and renaming
them as xaa, xab, xac and so on till it reaches the end of the source
file. These can then be renamed as iso, or txt, or whatever the
original source was, and proceed as you want. I've found that its a
very useful little program.

Thanks
Sharon.