Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Charles Kroeger

Default Shorewall 4.5.2.2 startup question

After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous configuration files,
Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the command line: e.g. #shorewall start.

I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf

What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting itself during
the boot-up?

--
CK

sid 3.2.0-2-amd64

Old 04-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:48:58 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
> configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the command
> line: e.g. #shorewall start.
>
> I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
> etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
>
> What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
> itself during the boot-up?

Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the "startup"
variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the command
line: e.g. #shorewall start.

I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf

What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
itself during the boot-up?

Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the "startup"
variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.

Impresive. Do you run shorewall?

Hugo

Archive: jnk7d3$cng$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/jnk7d3$cng$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Charles Kroeger

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:30:02 +0200
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:48:58 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
>
> > After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
> > configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the command
> > line: e.g. #shorewall start.
> >
> > I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
> > etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
> >
> > What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
> > itself during the boot-up?
>
> Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the "startup"
> variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.
>
> Greetings,

ah there it is, just so.
--

Esto que ves

Esto que ves soy yo,
ni más, ni menos.
Un pedazo de Ser...
un trozo de humanidad...
un puñado de risas...
un montón de sueños.
Una cuota de locura...
un pedazo de dulzura
con toda mi sinceridad.
Esto que ves, soy yo,
ni más, ni menos.
Una mujer, a veces una niña,
a veces espacio...
a veces infinito...
a veces pasión...
a veces libertad.
Pero así, simplemente así soy yo.
Es todo lo que tengo,
todo lo que soy...
No es mucho... pero es todo.

Teresa Aburto Uribe (Chile)

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Charles Kroeger

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:20:02 +0200
hvw59601 <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:48:58 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> >
> >> After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
> >> configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the command
> >> line: e.g. #shorewall start.
> >>
> >> I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
> >> etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
> >>
> >> What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
> >> itself during the boot-up?
> >
> > Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the "startup"
> > variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.
> >

> Impresive. Do you run shorewall?
>
> Hugo

Yes I do..what's it to you (that's impressive by the way)

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Brian

On Sun 29 Apr 2012 at 15:30:28 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:20:02 +0200
> hvw59601 <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>
> > Camaleón wrote:

> > > Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the "startup"
> > > variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.
> > >

> > Impresive. Do you run shorewall?
> >
> > Hugo
> >

> Yes I do..what's it to you . . . .

That comes over as rude. Perhaps you didn't mean to make it sound that
way and failed to realise the question was not really directed at you?

> . . . .(that's impressive by the way)

That's definitely rude. You are in the wrong place for spelling flames.

Incidentally, shorewall has had 'startup=0' since Lenny at least. You
probably forgot that you must have altered the default sometime in the
past and didn't think the README in /usr/share/doc worth a glance.
Also, /etc/default/shorewall is a conffile so if indeed the upgrade
replaced it you could be looking at a bug.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Charles Kroeger

Brian pointed out:

> Incidentally, shorewall has had 'startup=0' since Lenny at least. You
> probably forgot that you must have altered the default sometime in the
> past and didn't think the README in /usr/share/doc worth a glance.
> Also, /etc/default/shorewall is a conffile so if indeed the upgrade
> replaced it you could be looking at a bug.

It might be a bug Brian, in /etc/shorewall.conf there is, at the top of this file an
option:

################################################## #############################
#
# Shorewall Version 4 -- /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
#
# For information about the settings in this file, type "man shorewall.conf"
#
# Manpage also online at http://www.shorewall.net/manpages/shorewall.conf.html
################################################## #############################
# S T A R T U P E N A B L E D
################################################## #############################

STARTUP_ENABLED=Yes

in this new version of the Documents I failed to read the part about the importance
of editing the /etc/default/shorewall file so I wrote the list for the answer, and
learned something new.

As far as the latest /doc/shorewall-doc/html say, there is nothing about making
sure the /etc/default/shorewall file is squared with
the /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf file that I saw.

In /doc/shorewall-core there's nothing about this
In /doc/shorewall-doc/ there are subfolders of HTML and HTML/images and
manpages in great abundance but no README.
In /usr/share/shorewall there are subfolders of Shorewall and config files but even
there alas no README or mention of the etc/default/shorewall file.
I might add that I also use shorewall-init and the /doc/shorewall-init of which
resides no mention of this necessary file, /etc/default/shorewall.

If you use shorewall Brian, do tell me where this information resides in the
new 4.5.2.2 version of the documentation.

If this file (/etc/default/shorewall) existed in the previous version it must have
been created without my knowing as I never saw it before.

As far as being 'rude' well I don't know. The message from hugo AKA hvw59601 could
have gone either way, hugo didn't elaborate beyond his diplomatic statement that I
construed to be cryptic in nature suggesting a less than subtle slight and
considering the people who post to this list I took no chances but nonetheless
hoped for a further dialog, which I believe has not been forthcoming. (from hugo)

By correcting hugo's spelling I hoped to help that person improve their spelling.
Why do you think that was 'definitely rude"? Don't you like to be corrected when
you're wrong Brian?

Lastly, if I've completely misunderstood hugo's question as the bleeding obvious
and indeed was not intended as some cuteness by that person, I would just say YES,
hugo I do run shorewall, what's it to you pal?

--
CK

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 29 apr 12, 18:53:11, Charles Kroeger wrote:

> In /doc/shorewall-core there's nothing about this
> In /doc/shorewall-doc/ there are subfolders of HTML and HTML/images and
> manpages in great abundance but no README.
> In /usr/share/shorewall there are subfolders of Shorewall and config files but even
> there alas no README or mention of the etc/default/shorewall file.
> I might add that I also use shorewall-init and the /doc/shorewall-init of which
> resides no mention of this necessary file, /etc/default/shorewall.

/etc/default/<stuff> is Debian specific most of the times, which is why
it won't be mentioned in upstream documentation.

For Debian packages it is always a good idea to start by reading
/usr/share/doc/<package>/README.Debian which contains Debian specific
information.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 15:13:36 -0500, hvw59601 wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:48:58 -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
>>
>>> After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
>>> configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the
>>> command line: e.g. #shorewall start.
>>>
>>> I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
>>> etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf
>>>
>>> What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
>>> itself during the boot-up?
>>
>> Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the
>> "startup" variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.
>>

> Impresive.

What's what you find "impressive"?

> Do you run shorewall?

Not at all.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
hvw59601

Camaleón wrote:

After the recent Shorewall upgrade that replaced the previous
configuration files, Shorewall now only starts 'manually' at the
command line: e.g. #shorewall start.

I can't find where this problem can be corrected in the
etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf

What changed in the upgrade that now prevents Shorewall from starting
itself during the boot-up?

Mmm, this is done from "/etc/default/shorewall" by editing the
"startup" variable, that you have to set to "1" as it says.

Impresive.

What's what you find "impressive"?

That you can provide such detail and yet not use the tool yourself.

Hugo

Do you run shorewall?

Not at all.