Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Default cd number

On 29.04.2012 19:01, Daniel Sarrazin wrote:
> There is 52cd and I downloaded 4. Do I need to install all 52cd to have
> a secure distribution?
>
> Daniel Sarrazin

As the download page reads, you only need the CD 1 to install Debian.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 12:01:26 -0400, Daniel Sarrazin wrote:

(no html, please, thanks)

> There is 52cd and I downloaded 4. Do I need to install all 52cd to have
> a secure distribution?

Security is not determined by a number :-)

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#which-cd

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 12:01:26 -0400
Daniel Sarrazin <daniel_sarrazin@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

> There is 52cd and I downloaded 4. Do I need to install all 52cd to
> have a secure distribution?

Depends what you mean by "secure". If you don't wish to connect to the
internet to install packages, then you may need more disks than you
already have. However, the further away from disk #1 you get, the less
popular are the packages on the disk.

TBH, just connecting to the 'net to install and or update software is a
lot less hassle as the software packages at the Debian repos are all
key-signed to reduce the likelihood of tampering.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
keith

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 12:01:26 -0400
Daniel Sarrazin <daniel_sarrazin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There is 52cd and I downloaded 4. Do I need to install all 52cd to have a secure distribution?
>
> Daniel Sarrazin

No, the first CD is all that is needed to install a normal system. Other CD's contain additional installable software, if you need it.
--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>