Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Tony van der Hoff

Default ethernet device assignments

In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the ethernet
adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned the moniker
eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).

So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Archive: 4F9D43C3.5000205@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F9D43C3.5000205@vanderhoff.org

Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Jochen Spieker

Tony van der Hoff:

> So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules or just remove it and
reboot.

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Sonntag, 29. April 2012 schrieb Tony van der Hoff:
> In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the ethernet
> adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned the moniker
> eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).
>
> So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?
Hi Tony,

you can edit "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" to assign the device
to your required needs.

At next reboot, the device eth0 or eth1 whatever will be connected to the
according network card.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:36:03 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the ethernet
> adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned the moniker
> eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).
>
> So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

You can edit "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules" file and adjust
it accordingly.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Tony van der Hoff

So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules or just remove it and
reboot.

J.

Great, thanks very much...

--

Archive: 4F9D49F2.7050002@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4F9D49F2.7050002@vanderhoff.org

Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> writes:

> In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the
> ethernet adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned
> the moniker eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).
>
> So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

Look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Create a similar file, with the mac id of the card you want a specific
device id as ATTR(address ... etc and NAME="eth1"

Before you do that -- chances are you have already another device
configured to run as eth1, so look at the other files / other lines in
that file and see which device is configured to work as eth1.

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||
Distribute Free Software --

Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Tony van der Hoff

On 29/04/12 15:18, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:

Tony van der Hoff<tony@vanderhoff.org> writes:

> In trying to track down some networking problems, I swapped the
> ethernet adapter in my server. Since re-booting, it has been assigned
> the moniker eth2 rather than eth1 (the motherbaord device is eth0).

> So, how do I reset the second adapter to become eth1 again?

Look at /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Create a similar file, with the mac id of the card you want a specific
device id as ATTR(address ... etc and NAME="eth1"

Before you do that -- chances are you have already another device
configured to run as eth1, so look at the other files / other lines in
that file and see which device is configured to work as eth1.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. It's all working fine again