Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM
"John W. Foster"

Default Apache2 Not starting on reboot

My last upgrade of Debian stable on my production server produced an
error that is causing issues. Apache2 is not automatically restarting as
it should when the system is rebooted. This is a nightly occurrence and
is required for hardware testing reasons. Anyone have any ideas as to
what might be happening? I have checked the error log & see nothing that
looks suspect. Webmin shows that the Apache server is setup to start on
bootup. It seems to run fine after I manually restart the server after
the reboot.
thanks!
frosty

Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 PM

"John W. Foster" <jfoster81747@gmail.com> writes:

> My last upgrade of Debian stable on my production server produced an
> error that is causing issues. Apache2 is not automatically restarting as
> it should when the system is rebooted. This is a nightly occurrence and
> is required for hardware testing reasons. Anyone have any ideas as to
> what might be happening? I have checked the error log & see nothing that
> looks suspect. Webmin shows that the Apache server is setup to start on
> bootup. It seems to run fine after I manually restart the server after
> the reboot.

Is apache configured to start in the default runlevel?

(Rest is for completeness and newbies reading the list)

Check /etc/inittab for the line with "initdefault" in it to identify
your default runlevel - it is usually 2.

Assuming your default runlevel is 2, there ought to be a symlink to
/etc/init.d/apache2 (or whatever) in /etc/rc2.d/

See the man page for update-rc.d on how to add apache to the default
runlevel. You need to be root to run update-rc.d

Sigh. I suddenly realise that for past several years, debian has not
been giving me any reason to become root - except to update.

HTH.

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,