Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default PS/2 Keyboard and Mice not working (USB is) on X

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
> > Or is my MoBo giving up?
>
> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
TYPO: ^^ after stable
> time ago. In my case only the mouse doesn't work anymore, the keyboard
> still does work.
>
> I've got an outdated Suse, some outdated Ubuntu, AVLinux aka Debian
> stable, current Ubuntu and current Arch installed.
>
> If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> more and more idiotic. Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer
> usage.
>
> For the future expect much more serious issues, but that PS/2 issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

PS: I had Debian after stable installed too.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2012-04-29 13:59 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
>> Or is my MoBo giving up?
>
> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
> time ago.

Unfortunately I did not know this, and my PS/2 keyboard and mouse
continue to work as they did in the past 14 years.

> If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> more and more idiotic.

There are plenty other operating systems besides Linux.

> Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer usage.

Surely that perception is the reason why you are trolling on this list
rather than reporting a bug?

Cheers,
Sven

Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
>> Or is my MoBo giving up?
>
> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
> time ago. In my case only the mouse doesn't work anymore, the keyboard

That is a nasty thing to do. Here, the <d>bloodsuckers</d> hardware
vendors still palm off PS/2 input devices. PCs as recent as 1 year came
with PS/2 equipmen.

Your reply has me so confused that I looked up wikipedia to ensure that
when I said "PS/2" I reall meant what I intended. Yes, I did say what I
had in mind.

So, the real bug is with the decision to drop support for PS/2, which,
IMHO, is required at least for another 3 to 4 years.

What has me confused is, why is the PS/2 keyboard still working on the
console mode then? And which xorg component supports PS/2 input? I did
packages from stable, but things did not work. (with PS/2 on X, that
is).

This USB keyboard is right-royal PITA, dunno whether the issue is with
this specific brand or with the USB interface, but there is too much lag
between keystrokes and characters appearing on the screen. I type real
fast - 40+ wpm on qwerty layout.

> If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> more and more idiotic. Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer
> usage.
>
> For the future expect much more serious issues, but that PS/2 issue.

Having to use non-Linux OSes at office confirms my suspicion that
GNU/Linux based distros are waay more user friendly.

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||
>From The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906) [devil]:
LAWYER, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 14:50 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2012-04-29 13:59 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Or is my MoBo giving up?
> >
> > No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
> > time ago.
>
> Unfortunately I did not know this, and my PS/2 keyboard and mouse
> continue to work as they did in the past 14 years.

Some hardware still does work, as I said, my keyboard still is ok.

> > If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> > more and more idiotic.
>
> There are plenty other operating systems besides Linux.

No, there are not plenty OS that enable professional real-time usage for
audio.

> > Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer usage.
>
> Surely that perception is the reason why you are trolling on this list
> rather than reporting a bug?

A lot of people report bugs, such as all the PA and nouveau issues, but
e.g. PA blames ALSA, downstream blames upstream etc. pp..

Regards,
Ralf

PS: Instead of calling me a troll, simply help the OP you troll.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 01:59:38PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
> > Or is my MoBo giving up?

tl;dr

> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
> time ago. In my case only the mouse doesn't work anymore, the keyboard
> still does work.

Bollocks! My mouse and keyboard work fine.

Stop spreading FUD!

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> Bollocks! My mouse and keyboard work fine.
>
> Stop spreading FUD!

Thanks to guys who confirmed that support for PS/2 is not dropped.

So, my question - which package is likely to cause the problem?

--
Mahesh T. Pai ||

Old 04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 18:27 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> writes:

> > If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> > more and more idiotic. Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer
> > usage.
> >
> > For the future expect much more serious issues, but that PS/2 issue.
> >

> Having to use non-Linux OSes at office confirms my suspicion that
> GNU/Linux based distros are waay more user friendly.

Agree! AFAIK there's no other OS capable of hard real-time for audio,
this btw. is also an issue for Linux but possible.

FWIW
Not working: Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2 Compatible
Working: Keyboard KWD-205

Old 04-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Andreas Rönnquist

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:59:38 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
> > Or is my MoBo giving up?
>
> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a
> long time ago. In my case only the mouse doesn't work anymore, the
> keyboard still does work.
>
> I've got an outdated Suse, some outdated Ubuntu, AVLinux aka Debian
> stable, current Ubuntu and current Arch installed.
>
> If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> more and more idiotic. Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer
> usage.
>
> For the future expect much more serious issues, but that PS/2 issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I have no problems with my PS/2 keyboard on neither stable or testing -
and if there is, one can always get one of these to extend the life of
it:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

/Andreas

Old 04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:59:38 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 16:53 +0530, paivakil@gmail.com wrote:
>> Or is my MoBo giving up?
>
> No, Debian dropped working PS/2 equipment for versions ex stable a long
> time ago. In my case only the mouse doesn't work anymore, the keyboard
> still does work.

I must be doing some kind of mystic sorcery to make my PS/2 keyboard and
my USB mouse (attached to an USB to PS/2 converter) working in my Lenny
as well as Wheezy!

> If there would be another OS, I would drop Linux, since things become
> more and more idiotic. Nobody cares about bugs, for serious computer
> usage.

Then better search for an OS replacement. If you like Linux, there are
some paid distributions that will be more than happy to have you as a
client because bugs (filling and solving) are *a must* here (here →
community driven projects).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 29 April 2012 15:08:18 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Some hardware still does work, as I said, my keyboard still is ok.

So your PS/2 mouse is dead. Hardly unheard of.

Lisi