Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Jude DaShiell

Default genisoimage and burning the iso created.

There may be an iso split utility in debian I hope. If not, there is a
split command line parameter in genisoimage I think but you might not
like the results.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 02:13:37 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> i have just created an iso of some of my music collection so that i can
> play them off the DVD, delete them off the hard drive and free up more
> space for new music, that’s the plan anyhow.
>
> The command i used was ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
> /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection Version 2/ ........
> and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>
> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD from
> one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>
> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done from
> the command line please?

I don't know about the burning program features but I bet you can use
"split" command (to make chunks of data that fit in one DVD) and
"cat" (if you want to restore the full image afterwards) for the task.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Darac Marjal

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 02:13:37AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> i have just created an iso of some of my music collection so that i
> can play them off the DVD, delete them off the hard drive and free up
> more space for new music, that’s the plan anyhow.
>
> The command i used was ......... genisoimage -o ~/irishceltic.iso
> /home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic Music Collection Version 2/
> ........ and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>
> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD
> from one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>
> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done
> from the command line please?

I'm not entirely sure you want to be splitting the ISO. I think what you
rather need is to make several ISOs which are small enough to fit on
your DVD. The easiest way to do this is just to use k3b (for example) to
make the ISO. You should be able to drag files from your music
collection one-by-one into the project, watching the size of the
resulting ISO increase (It's been a while since I used k3b, but there's
often a gauge that shows you how close you are to filling a disc). When
you have a full disc, burn that, then start a new project starting from
the next file in the directory.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Jon Dowland

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 02:13:37AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> ........ and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>
> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD
> from one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>
> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done
> from the command line please?

The file that was created - an ISO image - is a 1:1 representation of
the bytes that would be burned to optical media if you managed to burn
it. However, 18.4GB is too large for most optical media. (more on that
in a sec).

As Camalen said, you could split the ISO file into bits using split(1)
and re-assemble in the future using cat(1), but the bits themselves would
not be useful until re-combined, so you almost certainly do not want to
do that.

Instead, first make sure you know what target size you need to hit. What
media are you writing to? You can fit approx 600-800M onto a CD-ROM,
~4.5G onto a single layer DVD and 9G onto a dual-layer, 25G for single
layer Blu Ray and 50G for dual-layer Blu Ray.
(more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable#Capacities and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable)

So you could conceivably fit 18.4G of data onto a single or dual layer Blu Ray
disc, if you have the equipment to read and write them. However, you would
most likely want to delete your ISO file and create a new one for the Blu Ray,
since you need to use a different filesystem layout (UDF instead of ISO) for
blu-rays. (I'm not sure what tools to use in this case.)

Assuming you don't have Blu Ray writing equipment, you would need to use
multiple disc of another format. You need to divide up your files into sets
which would be burned to different discs, and generate an ISO for each.
datapacker (<http://packages.debian.org/datapacker>) is one tool that could
help you with the dividing stage. genisoimage (which you already know) produces
the images; you can then burn them using your existing tools or 'wodim' on the
command line (which I find more reliable).