Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Chris Knadle

Default Install a package from testing?

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 18:19:58, Nick Meyers wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> Got a hopefully easy question.
>
> I currently have a dual boot system with Debian (Squeeze) and windows. The
> only reason I've booted into windows for several months now has been to
> access MySQL Workbench when I'm not at work. I noticed that MySQL
> Workbench is available as a package in Wheezy, so I thought I would look
> into the possibility of installing it from there. I've looked through
> several of the documents available, but I'm still not clear on how this
> could be accomplished without doing an upgrade. I updated sources.list and
> did an update, but when I select the package for install I am prompted to
> remove several other packages.

mysql-workbench has a long list of dependencies:

$ apt-cache show mysql-workbench | fgrep Depends

Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libatkmm-1.6-1 (>= 2.22.1),
libc6 (>= 2.4), libcairo2 (>= 1.7.2), libcairomm-1.0-1 (>= 1.6.4),
libctemplate0, libfontconfig1 (>= 2.8.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1),
libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0),
libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0),
libglibmm-2.4-1c2a (>= 2.30.0), libgnome-keyring0 (>= 2.22.2),
libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a (>= 1:2.24.0), liblua5.1-0,
libmysqlclient16 (>= 5.1.50-1), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.18.0),
libpangomm-1.4-1 (>= 2.27.1), libpcre3 (>= 8.10), libpython2.7 (>= 2.7),
libsigc++-2.0-0c2a (>= 2.0.2), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.5.9),
libstdc++6 (>= 4.6), libtinyxml2.6.2, libuuid1 (>= 2.16), libx11-6,
libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), libzip2 (>= 0.10), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4),
python (>= 2.6.6-7~), python2.7, mysql-workbench-data (= 5.2.38+dfsg-3),
mysql-client, python-mysql.connector, python-paramiko, python-pysqlite2,
python-all, python-pexpect

... and so a lot of the system has to be upgraded to Wheezy in order to
satisfy the above dependencies. And there's no current backport for Squeeze
for mysql-workbench.

> How hard would it be to install just that package from the testing suite,
> and if it is not too much trouble, would someone be willing to direct me?

It doesn't look straightforward -- there are several conflicts to handle, and
the conflicts you're going to have depends on what you have installed on your
system that will require updating in order to get this installed.

Because this is complicated, I have a suggestion: you could build a Debian
Squeeze virtual machine (this could duplicate what you currently have
installed, if you want to go that far), and then test the upgrade in the VM --
i.e. in a safe environment. Some virtualization solulutions (like VirtualBox)
allow you to do a "snapshot" of the system before making major changes, so you
can roll back to the snapshot if it goes wrong and you want to try another
upgrade.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 17:19:58 -0500, Nick Meyers wrote:

> Good evening all,

Hi... please, turn off html when posting, thanks :-)

(...)

> How hard would it be to install just that package from the testing
> suite, and if it is not too much trouble, would someone be willing to
> direct me?

I can't tell how hard it can be but have you considered in getting the
deb file from the upstream site¹? It says it's for "Ubuntu" but it may
also also work for Debian :-?

¹http://www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/#downloads

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Nick Meyers

Yuck, I'm not sure I can turn html off from the hotmail interface. I use hotmail for stuff like this for the sake of safety. FWIW, I do have html disabled by default on Icedove, but I don't have this email account tied to that, so I have to use the web interface. I will ry to figure that out, but in the meantime I'll abstain from posting again, and...

Apologies to all!

Nick

Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 01 May 2012 11:17:57 -0500, Nick Meyers wrote:

(and don't forget to reply at the bottom)

>> Hi... please, turn off html when posting, thanks :-)
>>
>> (...)

> Yuck, I'm not sure I can turn html off from the hotmail interface. I use
> hotmail for stuff like this for the sake of safety. FWIW, I do have html
> disabled by default on Icedove, but I don't have this email account tied
> to that, so I have to use the web interface. I will ry to figure that
> out, but in the meantime I'll abstain from posting again, and...
>
> Apologies to all!

No need to apology nor avoid from posting!

Just configure your e-mail/webmail client as it should be ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
keith

On Tue, 1 May 2012 11:17:57 -0500
Nick Meyers <mysqluser361@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yuck, I'm not sure I can turn html off from the hotmail interface. I use hotmail for stuff like this for the sake of safety. FWIW, I do have html disabled by default on Icedove, but I don't have this email account tied to that, so I have to use the web interface. I will ry to figure that out, but in the meantime I'll abstain from posting again, and...

No need to abstain from posting; go into Hotmail -> 'New' -> (3rd item along, after 'Send' & 'Save draft') change to 'Plain text'.

(You can also get your mail via a good email program such as Icedove or Sylpheed)

--
keith <km3952@gmail.com>