Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Camaleón

Default how can I use open-source (Xorg) radeon driver?

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:12:05 +0100, Matej KoŇ°√*k wrote:

> I have installed Debian (Squeeze) on my desktop.
>
> I have enabled desktop environment.
>
> By default Xorg uses VESA driver.

That means there's a problem. Radeon driver should be loaded
automatically with no user interaction.

> I have the following video card (output from lpsci):
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller:
> ATI Technologies Inc NI Caicos [AMD RADEON HD 6450]

(...)

That explains it all :-)

There was a recent thread for a similar card (with a "northern islands"
based chipset) and facing a similar problem that you're describing:

In brief, most sure is that you're using an old version of the Xorg
xserver and kernel that cannot handle you new VGA card ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Morten Bo Johansen

Matej KoŇ°√*k <5764c029b688c1c0d24a2e97cd764f@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a line:

> (EE) No devices detected.

> What does that mean? Given card is not supported by a given driver?

As Camaleón wrote your card is not supported by the driver in Debian
Squeeze. It is supported in the backported "xserver-xorg-video-radeon"
driver, though. You can read about using backports here:

http://backports-master.debian.org/Instructions/

Regards,

Morten