Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 AM
"Roger Morgan"

Default phpBB - more info, no solution

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 01:05:19 +0200
> Von: "Roger Morgan" <rmorgan@gmx.net>
> An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Betreff: phpBB

> I'm using Debian Etch and am trying to install phpBB using the standard
> package manager.
> phpBB needs a database, and I already have other apps on the machine that
> use a MySQL server on another machine on the same LAN. So I expect that
> phpBB will be able to use the remote MySQL server as well.
> But when I try to install from the Debian package, it can't.
> It brings up a dialog box,'If you have not yet created a database and want
> to do so now, choose "Create".' (with some other options). I pick that,
> and it asks me for the root password for the database, but it doesn't ask me
> which host the MySQL server is running on, so not surprisingly, it fails.
> The phpBB package seems to assume that the database server will always run
> on localhost, which is a really bad assumption. If you have a LAN (and who
> doesn't?), obviously you will want to run the MySQL server on just one
> machine and let all the others use it.
>
> Is it possible to fix this problem manually while still using the Debian
> package?

I tried setting mysql.default_host in the [MySQL] section
of /etc/php4/apache2/php.ini (I am using apache2), but
that didn't work.
Running dpkg --configure -a after the change brings up the
dialog mentioned earlier. I select "Create". It asks me
for the root password of the MySQL database, and it comes
back with:
----------cut here---------
Setting up phpbb2-conf-mysql (2.0.21-7) ...
You need to have mysql-server installed if you want the MySQL
database to be hosted locally. Aborting.
Postinstallation of phpbb2-conf-mysql failed. Run
`dpkg --configure -a' to retry
dpkg: error processing phpbb2-conf-mysql (--configure):
phpbb2-conf-mysql
----------end extract-------

It still thinks I want the MySQL database to be installed
locally, which of course I don't.

--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free