-   -   Nautilus-dropbox license (was: FYI: nautilus-dropbox works with Xfce's file manager, Thunar) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/660406-nautilus-dropbox-license-fyi-nautilus-dropbox-works-xfces-file-manager-thunar.html)

Camaleón 04-27-2012 04:45 PM

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:21:01 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> OTOH, do you know -by any chance- why is that package at the "non-free"
>> section? I thought it was released under a GPL license :-?
>
> I guess because it downloads the Dropbox binary, which is not FOSS?

Mmm... let's dig a bit more into the current package status. I've found
this:

But it's not clear whether the current client is freely distributable or
not because it seems to be released using a GPL license :-?

Ah, okay, the real reason was commented here:

***

* The package goes in non-free because the pictures are non-free (CC-SA-
ND) even if the code is GPL. Otherwise it could have gone into contrib
since it needs the proprietary dropbox binary to work.
***

> (Sorry for sending private reply, that's Gmail's annoying default
> behavior.)

Don't worry, I didn't even notice because of a filter I've set that sends
to the trash the "duplicated" posts :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón