Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 AM
prad

Default dwww can't read some files

once in a while i get
dwww will not allow you to read the file

for instance, when i look for clusterdb by searching for postgresql and
choosing the clusterdb link the error message is

Access denied
dwww will not allow you to read the file
/usr/share/postgresql/8.4/man/man1/clusterdb.1.gz

the permissions are rw-r-r

yet these items all show up on a straight man:
man clusterdb

and will work even with dwww if i go a circuitous route:
click Manual pages
click C
click clusterdb

so it seems that there are 2 sets of man pages because the latter reads
fine from:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/dwww/usr/share/man/man1/clusterdb.1.gz?type=man
which is a softlink to
/etc/alternatives/clusterdb.1.gz

is there a way i can get dwww to work from the postgresql directory?

--
in friendship,
prad

Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:01:12 -0700, prad wrote:

> once in a while i get
> dwww will not allow you to read the file
>
> for instance, when i look for clusterdb by searching for postgresql and
> choosing the clusterdb link the error message is
>
> Access denied
> dwww will not allow you to read the file
> /usr/share/postgresql/8.4/man/man1/clusterdb.1.gz

(...)

Google returned this:

dwww: can't access postgresql-8.1 page for alter_table

Explanation on the why (although I'm not sure if that still remains true)
at comment #10.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM
prad

Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> dwww: can't access postgresql-8.1 page for alter_table
>
> Explanation on the why (although I'm not sure if that still remains true)
> at comment #10.

fantastic, camaleon! thanks very much! it never occurred to me to think
this might be discussed as a bug (as robert suggests in the post), so i
never examined those referring to bugs.

i added:
DWWW_DOCPATH=/usr/share/postgresql/8.4/man/

and everything works beautifully!

--
in friendship,
prad

Old 04-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Indulekha

Prad wrote:
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> dwww: can't access postgresql-8.1 page for alter_table
>>
>> Explanation on the why (although I'm not sure if that still remains true)
>> at comment #10.
>>
> fantastic, camaleon! thanks very much! it never occurred to me to think
> this might be discussed as a bug (as robert suggests in the post), so i
> never examined those referring to bugs.
>
> i added:
> DWWW_DOCPATH=/usr/share/postgresql/8.4/man/
>
> and everything works beautifully!

There's also /etc/manpath.config to consider...

--
Indulekha