Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Jeremy Katz

Default stop neutering DRI

> The attached patch makes anaconda stop neutering DRI/DRM (at least it should.)
> It does it by including the DRI userspace modules (from mesa) and the kernel
> DRM drivers.
>
> Why do this?
>
> To be more like the 'normal' installed system. Heck, if DRI's going to fail,
> the system's just going to blow up on the first boot anyway. Furthermore,
> there are cards/chips that do 2D accel via the 3D pipeline.

So, I'm not fundamentally against doing this, but doing it right now is
a little scary. ajax -- any thoughts from your end?

> Plus, if we want to actually disable it in anaconda, we should do it
> explicitly, not by accident as a consequence of some files not being
> there.

Bleah, we used to, but as the X configuration stack has changed over
time, we've lost those bits I suspect.

> Caveats:
> - listing the kernel drivers explicitly is a hack

I wonder if we'd be better with the (still a hack, but at least not a
list of drivers) bit to do =drm and then map that to everything under
drivers/char/drm

> - this doesn't pull libGL onto the second stage. Assuming nothing dlopens()
> it, that shouldn't be a problem

The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
key

Jeremy

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Jesse Keating

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 00:02 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> key

I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
comfortable doing for F9 at this point.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> > given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> > insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> > 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> > end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> > might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> > key
>
> I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
> couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
> and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
> significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
> comfortable doing for F9 at this point.

That's fine with me... this can be something to look at for F10.

Bill

Old 05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Jeremy Katz

> Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > > The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> > > given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> > > insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> > > 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> > > end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> > > might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> > > key
> >
> > I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
> > couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
> > and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
> > significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
> > comfortable doing for F9 at this point.
>
> That's fine with me... this can be something to look at for F10.

And applied as is for now. Although it'd be nice to get to where we're
not explicitly listing the modules before F10 (#446126)

Jeremy