Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   stop neutering DRI (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/66009-stop-neutering-dri.html)

Jeremy Katz 04-08-2008 04:02 AM

stop neutering DRI
 
On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 18:15 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> The attached patch makes anaconda stop neutering DRI/DRM (at least it should.)
> It does it by including the DRI userspace modules (from mesa) and the kernel
> DRM drivers.
>
> Why do this?
>
> To be more like the 'normal' installed system. Heck, if DRI's going to fail,
> the system's just going to blow up on the first boot anyway. Furthermore,
> there are cards/chips that do 2D accel via the 3D pipeline.

So, I'm not fundamentally against doing this, but doing it right now is
a little scary. ajax -- any thoughts from your end?

> Plus, if we want to actually disable it in anaconda, we should do it
> explicitly, not by accident as a consequence of some files not being
> there.

Bleah, we used to, but as the X configuration stack has changed over
time, we've lost those bits I suspect.

> Caveats:
> - listing the kernel drivers explicitly is a hack

I wonder if we'd be better with the (still a hack, but at least not a
list of drivers) bit to do =drm and then map that to everything under
drivers/char/drm

> - this doesn't pull libGL onto the second stage. Assuming nothing dlopens()
> it, that shouldn't be a problem

The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
key

Jeremy

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

Jesse Keating 04-08-2008 10:44 AM

stop neutering DRI
 
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 00:02 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> key

I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
comfortable doing for F9 at this point.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?
_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

Bill Nottingham 04-08-2008 03:10 PM

stop neutering DRI
 
Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> > given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> > insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> > 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> > end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> > might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> > key
>
> I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
> couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
> and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
> significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
> comfortable doing for F9 at this point.

That's fine with me... this can be something to look at for F10.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list

Jeremy Katz 05-12-2008 09:09 PM

stop neutering DRI
 
On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 11:10 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jesse Keating (jkeating@redhat.com) said:
> > > The DRI modules static link libGL, so this might be a problem. Also,
> > > given that the dri modules are statically linked, it's going to be a not
> > > insubstantial space jump. From a quick test, mksquashfs /usr/lib/dri is
> > > 11 megs which is 10% of the size of stage2. Which isn't necessarily the
> > > end of the world, but it just continues to creep up various things. It
> > > might also make stage2 + kernel + initrd no longer fit on a 128 meg usb
> > > key
> >
> > I talked to ajax about that on the bus yesterday. He thought he had a
> > couple possible ways of getting rid of the static link in each driver,
> > and just use a shared library (that's private). That could save a
> > significant amount of ondisk space, but not a change that any of us feel
> > comfortable doing for F9 at this point.
>
> That's fine with me... this can be something to look at for F10.

And applied as is for now. Although it'd be nice to get to where we're
not explicitly listing the modules before F10 (#446126)

Jeremy

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.