Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Joe Zien

Default debian 6.0.4 DVD #2

I installed debian 6.0.4 DVD #1 and it is working fine.
Later I downloaded iso's #2 and 3.
Tried to boot up #2 iso, won't boot up.
How do I install 2 and 3?

jozien

Archive: 4F99C4AE.5020006@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F99C4AE.5020006@comcast.net

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Dan Hitt

I think that isos #2 and #3 are for getting packages from,
not booting.

So if your /etc/apt/sources.list does not point to a repository
on the net, and you try to install a package, the system
will prompt you to insert one of those dvds.

That is my guess only, because i was really floundering around
installing debian 6.0.4 and it kept asking me to insert the dvd
#2 (iirc).

(This was before Bob P on this group showed me how to fix
up my situation.)

Anybody who spots anything incorrect in this message, please
correct me!!!

dan

#2 (iirc).

(This was before Bob P on this group showed me how to fix
up my situation.)

Anybody who spots anything incorrect in this message, please
correct me!!!

You are correct :-)

However the system will need to know what is on the DVD before it can
know to ask for it, and (unless it has changed since last time I used
CD/DVDs), that is done by putting the DVD (or CD) in the drive and
running 'apt-cdrom add' (without the quotes) as root. That will read the
label of the disc and check and index the contents.

Nowadays though, the preferred method for ijnstalling Debian (if you
have a reasonable network connection), is to download and install from
one of the small netboot CD imagesa, then download only the packages you
require directly from one of the Debian mirrors. This will save a lot of
time and ensure you have the current versions of everything.

I realise that not every computer has a suitable connection to the
internet though, which is why the full set of CD and DVD images are made
available - even though very few people will really need the full set.

--
Dom

Archive: 4F9A28FB.8020404@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F9A28FB.8020404@rpdom.net

Old 04-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:57:02 -0400, Joe Zien wrote:

> I installed debian 6.0.4 DVD #1 and it is working fine. Later I
> downloaded iso's #2 and 3.
> Tried to boot up #2 iso, won't boot up. How do I install 2 and 3?

Additional DVDs (or CD media) only add more packages that you can install
when no Internet access is possible or your connection speed is very
unrealiable/slow.

If that's your case, you will have to add the additional DVD as available
source in you "/etc/apt/sources.list" file which is usually better to do
it using a dedicated tool (apt-cdrom).

More information:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html

Greetings,