Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Jeremy Allard

Default Anyway of keeping gnome2 while upgrading from Squeeze to Wheezy

Le 26 avril 2012 17:15, James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> a écrit :

Hello,

I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at all costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?

Thanks

James

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4F99BB0E.8000109@googlemail.com

You could just put on hold all the gnome2 packages, but it is not a viable solution.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
James Allsopp

Archive: 4F99BB0E.8000109@googlemail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F99BB0E.8000109@googlemail.com

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Miles Bader

James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> writes:
> I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at
> all costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?

Hmm, can't you just run it in "compability" mode or whatever it's
called...? [if you want to avoid gnome-shell... I don't see much
obvious difference between gnome 2 and gnome 3 otherwise]

My impression was that you could somehow force that from the login
screen (but I've never tried so I dunno).

-miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Jon Dowland

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 04:56:16PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> writes:
> > I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at
> > all costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?
>
> Hmm, can't you just run it in "compability" mode or whatever it's
> called...? [if you want to avoid gnome-shell... I don't see much
> obvious difference between gnome 2 and gnome 3 otherwise]
>
> My impression was that you could somehow force that from the login
> screen (but I've never tried so I dunno).

The Debian GNOME team are offering the "fallback" mode as "GNOME classic"
from GDM - however, it is pretty different to GNOME2 IMHO, and upstream
have said that it's a stop-gap so will be unsupported at some time in
the future. I'd be surprised if it was in wheezy+1.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Ellwood Blues

2012/4/26 James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com>:
> Hello,
> I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at all
> costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?
>
> Thanks
> James

Mate Desktop.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Mika Suomalainen

On 27.04.2012 10:56, Miles Bader wrote:
> James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com> writes:
>> I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at
>> all costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?
>
> Hmm, can't you just run it in "compability" mode or whatever it's
> called...? [if you want to avoid gnome-shell... I don't see much
> obvious difference between gnome 2 and gnome 3 otherwise]

It's called as "fallback mode".

> My impression was that you could somehow force that from the login
> screen (but I've never tried so I dunno).

Yes you can. Change "GNOME" to "Classical Gnome" in desktop environment
menu.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Mika Suomalainen

On 27.04.2012 13:56, Ellwood Blues wrote:
> 2012/4/26 James Allsopp <jamesaallsopp@googlemail.com>:
>> Hello,
>> I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at all
>> costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>

>> --
>>

> Mate Desktop.

Is it packaged in Debian yet? I cannot seem to find it with "aptitude
search mate" on Sid.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:15:58 +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at all
> costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?

"At all costs"? Whether such possibility exists, the price will be very
high ;-)

I would suggest against going that way. I'd better (in order of
preference):

1/ Give gnome-shell a chance, it deserves it.
2/ Use the fallback (now "classical") desktop. With higher doses of
patience it can be very configurable and enjoyable but remember it won't
last forever.
3/ Keep Squeeze until it's unsupported.
4/ Choose another DE/WM.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Dom

I want to update from Squeeze to Wheezy but want to avoid Gnome 3 at all
costs, is there a way of doing this successfully?

"At all costs"? Whether such possibility exists, the price will be very
high ;-)

I would suggest against going that way. I'd better (in order of
preference):

1/ Give gnome-shell a chance, it deserves it.

Doesn't work on my laptop.

2/ Use the fallback (now "classical") desktop. With higher doses of
patience it can be very configurable and enjoyable but remember it won't
last forever.

Barely works on my laptop. Slow and some font corruption. Also other
issues - something weird in Iceweasel last time I tried it.

3/ Keep Squeeze until it's unsupported.

Running Wheezy here.

4/ Choose another DE/WM.

This looks like my only chance, but I like Gnome2. Haven't found any
other I really like *yet*.

I have pinned lots of packages to keep Gnome2 for now, but often clone
my disk and allow everything to upgrade to see if Gnome3 is usuable yet.
I don't hold out much hope for this as my video chipset is not well
supported (Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP4m32).

I'd just like to say that I'm not completely against gnome3, but it
doesn't work for me (yet). I have to accept that with the hardware that
I'm using I may have to move off to another desktop.

--
Dom

Archive: 4F9AC27A.20208@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4F9AC27A.20208@rpdom.net

Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
keith

Dom wrote:

I'd just like to say that I'm not completely against gnome3, but it
doesn't work for me (yet). I have to accept that with the hardware
that I'm using I may have to move off to another desktop.

Have a go with LXDE alongside your present setup, & see how you feel
about it, no need to dump what you're used to yet.

--
Sent from Free Open Source Software
Debian GNU/Linux