Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM
keith

Default What kind of digital video camera

Augustin wrote:

Hello,

I am about to purchase my very first digital video camera. I have never bought
this kind of hardware before, and as a KDE user, I'd like to enquire what the
linux community would recommend. I want a low-to-mid range camera (up to $500,
more only if specific features are worth the price difference).

What specs should I pay attention to?
Storage?
Generally speaking, how is the linux support for digital video camera?
What about kdenlive support?

Thanks,

Augustin.

I have a JVC video camera that uses sdhc cards & a Lumix bridge camera
that also uses sdhc cards. Both are from the lower to mid price range &
will do more than I need from them. Both have a large zoom range, & can
go in for close ups.

First make a note of what you want, then make a note of cameras that
offer that, then go & look/try the cameras.

--
Sent from Free Open Source Software
Debian GNU/Linux

Archive: 4F99A5A5.7000706@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F99A5A5.7000706@gmail.com

Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Allan Wind

On 2012-04-27 02:44:19, Augustin wrote:
> I am about to purchase my very first digital video camera. I have never bought
> this kind of hardware before, and as a KDE user, I'd like to enquire what the
> linux community would recommend. I want a low-to-mid range camera (up to $500,
> more only if specific features are worth the price difference).

We purchased a Canon Vixia HF200 a while back. It records AVCHD
format to .mts files, but both ffmpeg and mplayer had problems
converting to formats suitable for editing (audio/video sync,
or resulting video would be at 5x the speed or something). Not
sure if things have changed for the better.

I have tried the video editors in stable, and the ones in
multi-media (with the exception for Blender, there is no way I
can teach my wife to use that). They either did not work well,
or were unstable. Kino was the best of the lot. It only works
with .dv files so you have a lengthy conversion step, and the
editor usually crashes during use.

As for specs I would look for 1080p, obtain a sample file, and
make sure you edit it. I like external memory cards for storage,
and then it becomes becomes (size of card) / (size of file per
minute) and then you figure out how many minutes you need on
a card. If things change you get another card.

Finally, I am into photography, and the DSLRs have or are getting
HD video support. You may want to at least consider this before
going for a dedicated video camera. Smart phones have video if
quality is less important.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Augustin

Allan and Keith,

Thank you very much to both for your comments. (of course, I welcome
complementary comments from others...)
I will take what you write into consideration; I will research more some of the
aspects you mention. And I'll come back here if I have more specific questions.

Thanks for your help,

Augustin.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:44:19AM +0800, Augustin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am about to purchase my very first digital video camera. I have never bought
> this kind of hardware before, and as a KDE user, I'd like to enquire what the
> linux community would recommend. I want a low-to-mid range camera (up to $500,
> more only if specific features are worth the price difference).
>
> What specs should I pay attention to?
> Storage?
> Generally speaking, how is the linux support for digital video camera?
> What about kdenlive support?

If you get one with an SD card or other removable media, then you don't
need to worry about whether the manufacturer plays stupid games with the
camera-to-computer interface. Just pull the SD card and put it into a
$10 card reader.

Several years back I bought a low-end Sanyo Xacti for $150. My dad
bought a higher-end one for around $600. I am not really happy with the
low-light performance of mine, and the colors seem dull. My dad's (with
a larger lens) seems ok.

Those cameras produce mp4 files that ffmpeg tells me are h264 video and
aac audio. I can edit them with avidemux on Squeeze. Kdenlive seemed
hit-or-miss. If I remember correctly, it choked on the larger files but
did ok with the smaller ones. I experimented with Cinelerra a bit, but
I think I needed to convert the files to mjpeg or something similar
(very large files).

I haven't had any need to do a large-scale video project. I mainly am
concerned with creating small clips to share with friends/family. I cut
out the junk, resize, and convert to a less resource-intensive format
such as xvid, theora, or mpeg2. For these purposes, avidemux works
fine.

-Rob