FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 AM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

Folks:

A few days ago my Palm (Tungsten T) was syncing just fine using
gnome-pilot, and today it simply will not. I've tried a myriad of
things, from rebooting Linux to soft resetting the device to poking
around with udev to trying it on other boxes to ...

I *think* I did an aptitude upgrade recently, but I cannot recall. I
*know* I did on my laptop, and it fails there too. (Both are running
Lenny.)

If I install Palm Desktop on Windows on my desktop (dual-boot) it
syncs fine, so all of the hardware appears to be okay. dmesg/syslog
don't show anything out of the ordinary, I just don't get a
/dev/ttyUSB* node. usbserial isn't loaded into the kernel either,
which makes me think that the root cause is the kernel failing to
properly identify what the device is. lsusb shows all of the device
information as I'd expect.

The Palm just sits on the HotSync screen, presumably waiting for the
computer to talk to it. dmesg shows a connect when I start the sync,
and a disconnect when I cancel, as expected.

I've attached various pieces of log files:

dmesg.txt - Two connect/disconnects showing in dmesg.
lsusb.txt - `lsusb -v` trimmed to show only the Palm.
udevmonitor.txt - One connect/disconnect while running udevmonitor.

Tips are very appreciated; I have a few files I need to install on it soon.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 5
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0830:0060 Palm, Inc. Palm Tungsten T / Zire 71
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x0830 Palm, Inc.
idProduct 0x0060 Palm Tungsten T / Zire 71
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Palm, Inc.
iProduct 2 Palm Handheld
iSerial 5 3030543650394C324130434B
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 46
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xc0
Self Powered
MaxPower 2mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 4
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 0
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x08 EP 8 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x89 EP 9 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 0
Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered
udevmonitor will print the received events for:
UDEV the event which udev sends out after rule processing
UEVENT the kernel uevent

UEVENT[1207625496.854114] add /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2 (usb)
UEVENT[1207625496.854148] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep00 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625496.857119] add /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
UEVENT[1207625496.857125] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep82 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625496.857128] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep03 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625496.857131] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep08 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625496.857134] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep89 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625496.857137] add /class/usb_device/usbdev2.6 (usb_device)
UDEV [1207625496.863344] add /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2 (usb)
UDEV [1207625496.865985] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep00 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625496.865993] add /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
UDEV [1207625496.899539] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep82 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625496.900903] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep03 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625496.902541] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep08 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625496.904189] add /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep89 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625496.929108] add /class/usb_device/usbdev2.6 (usb_device)
UEVENT[1207625503.642339] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep82 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625503.642365] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep03 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625503.642399] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep08 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625503.642423] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep89 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625503.642452] remove /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
UEVENT[1207625503.642502] remove /class/usb_device/usbdev2.6 (usb_device)
UEVENT[1207625503.642693] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep00 (usb_endpoint)
UEVENT[1207625503.642703] remove /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2 (usb)
UDEV [1207625503.643528] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep82 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625503.644698] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep03 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625503.645793] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep08 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625503.646864] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep89 (usb_endpoint)
UDEV [1207625503.647834] remove /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.1/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0 (usb)
UDEV [1207625503.649186] remove /class/usb_device/usbdev2.6 (usb_device)
UDEV [1207625503.650299] remove /class/usb_endpoint/usbdev2.6_ep00 (usb_endpoint)
 
Old 04-08-2008, 04:26 AM
"Mumia W.."
 
Default Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

On 04/07/2008 10:35 PM, Chris Howie wrote:

Folks:

A few days ago my Palm (Tungsten T) was syncing just fine using
gnome-pilot, and today it simply will not. I've tried a myriad of
things, from rebooting Linux to soft resetting the device to poking
around with udev to trying it on other boxes to ...

I *think* I did an aptitude upgrade recently, but I cannot recall. I
*know* I did on my laptop, and it fails there too. (Both are running
Lenny.)

If I install Palm Desktop on Windows on my desktop (dual-boot) it
syncs fine, so all of the hardware appears to be okay. dmesg/syslog
don't show anything out of the ordinary, I just don't get a
/dev/ttyUSB* node. usbserial isn't loaded into the kernel either,
which makes me think that the root cause is the kernel failing to
properly identify what the device is. lsusb shows all of the device
information as I'd expect.

The Palm just sits on the HotSync screen, presumably waiting for the
computer to talk to it. dmesg shows a connect when I start the sync,
and a disconnect when I cancel, as expected.

I've attached various pieces of log files:

dmesg.txt - Two connect/disconnects showing in dmesg.
lsusb.txt - `lsusb -v` trimmed to show only the Palm.
udevmonitor.txt - One connect/disconnect while running udevmonitor.

Tips are very appreciated; I have a few files I need to install on it soon.



I'm having problems syncing my Palm TX. I started using kernel 2.6.24
(under Etch), and I see that the 'visor' module is no longer loaded
automatically when I hit the hotsync button.


I load it manually using "modprobe visor" , yet no communication happens.

My only advice would be to manually load visor, since your dmesg.txt
doesn't show it being loaded.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Mumia W..
<paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm having problems syncing my Palm TX. I started using kernel 2.6.24
> (under Etch), and I see that the 'visor' module is no longer loaded
> automatically when I hit the hotsync button.
>
> I load it manually using "modprobe visor" , yet no communication happens.
>
> My only advice would be to manually load visor, since your dmesg.txt
> doesn't show it being loaded.

Interesting. After loading that I get /dev/ttyUSB nodes and
/dev/pilot. pilot-link can successfully talk to it using "-p usb:"
but gpilotd cannot -- in fact it cannot seem to talk to it no matter
what device I use (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, pilot, usb.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 AM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Chris Howie <cdhowie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Mumia W..
> <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I'm having problems syncing my Palm TX. I started using kernel 2.6.24
> > (under Etch), and I see that the 'visor' module is no longer loaded
> > automatically when I hit the hotsync button.
> >
> > I load it manually using "modprobe visor" , yet no communication happens.
> >
> > My only advice would be to manually load visor, since your dmesg.txt
> > doesn't show it being loaded.
>
> Interesting. After loading that I get /dev/ttyUSB nodes and
> /dev/pilot. pilot-link can successfully talk to it using "-p usb:"
> but gpilotd cannot -- in fact it cannot seem to talk to it no matter
> what device I use (ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, pilot, usb.

Ok, I spoke too soon. If I switch to Serial (instead of USB) then
ttyUSB0 works. pilot does not (it points to ttyUSB1, which is the
debugger port) and I cannot use usb:, which is a shame since that
seems to be the best option as far as Just Working.

On another note, I have been using 2.6.24 for some time and this just
started happening. So unless a recent upgrade of something else
caused this weird behavior I have no idea where it's coming from.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 04-09-2008, 09:08 PM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default Palm not being identified (no ttyUSB* being created)

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Chris Howie <cdhowie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> A few days ago my Palm (Tungsten T) was syncing just fine using
> gnome-pilot, and today it simply will not. I've tried a myriad of
> things, from rebooting Linux to soft resetting the device to poking
> around with udev to trying it on other boxes to ...
>
> [snip]

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/25/511

Hopefully this fix can be incorporated into the Debian package so we
don't have to wait for an upstream release?

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org