Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Matthias Guentert

Default Random system freezes - need your input

Hello everyone

Lately I changed from Fedora to Debian squeeze on amd64. A few days
later my system started to freeze randomly. I first noticed this
behaviour while I was copying files from my system disk to my USB
disk, but don't think this is the culprit. After having searched high
and low on my system I am running out of ideas. Please find bellow the
details of my researches.

I really would be happy if someone could support me here. Any input is
appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Matthias

USB:
--------------
The freezes occured very often when transfering data via USB e.g. from
my digicam or MP3 player, which I plugged in on __different__ ports -
but also the freezes happened when no device was pluged in (except
from my keyboard and mouse). So I think USB can be ruled out...

Logs:
--------------
I don't see any error or warning in my logs

/var/log/messages

[...]
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.332037] usb 1-4: new high speed
USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487140] usb 1-4: New USB device
found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=12a0
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487143] usb 1-4: New USB device
strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487145] usb 1-4: Product: iPhone
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487147] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487149] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: .....
Apr 25 21:12:07 celsius kernel: [ 673.487245] usb 1-4: configuration
#1 chosen from 4 choices
Apr 25 21:14:59 celsius kernel: [ 845.224996] usb 1-4: USB
disconnect, address 2
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.804057] usb 1-4: new high speed
USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940375] usb 1-4: New USB device
found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=12a0
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940378] usb 1-4: New USB device
strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940381] usb 1-4: Product: iPhone
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940382] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940384] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: .....
Apr 25 21:15:02 celsius kernel: [ 848.940475] usb 1-4: configuration
#1 chosen from 4 choices

==> cold reset occured here.

Apr 25 21:25:17 celsius kernel: imklog 4.6.4, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
Apr 25 21:25:17 celsius rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="4.6.4" x-pid="1475" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"]
(re)start
Apr 25 21:25:17 celsius kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
Apr 25 21:25:17 celsius kernel: [ 0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
[...]

System/BIOS:
--------------
My system is a Fujitsu Siemens Celsius M460 running the latest BIOS
version. No recently changes/updates on this.

Memory:
--------------
Testing my 8GBs of memory with memtest86+ did not reveal any error. So
this should be fine.

Disk:
--------------
Also my disks seems to be fine. At least smartctl thinks so. My Debian
system is running on softraid.

$ smartctl -t short /dev/sda
$ smartctl -t short /dev/sdb

$ smartctl -l error /dev/sda
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

$ smartctl -l error /dev/sdb
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

Load:
--------------
load average: 0.05, 0.15, 0.11 ... I don't see any conspicuous CPU,
memory or IO activity.

processor : 3
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 1999.000
cache size : 6144 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 3
initial apicid : 3
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 5333.36
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Installed extension cards:
---------------------------
# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82X38/X48 Express DRAM Controller
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82X38/X48 Express Host-Primary
PCI Express Bridge
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82X38/X48 Express Host-Secondary
PCI Express Bridge
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566DM-2 Gigabit
Network Connection (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express
Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface
Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA Controller
[RAID mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G84 [Quadro FX
1700] (rev a1)
05:05.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
05:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): LSI Corporation FW322/323 (rev 70)
05:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 04)
05:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev 04)
05:07.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port (rev 04)

Kernel:
--------------
# uname -va
Linux celsius 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 22 17:26:33 UTC 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also I was suspecting kexec support, so I deinstalled kexec-tools but
unfortunately without a result - still random freezes.

Graphic card:

Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Tony Baldwin

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:10:02PM +0200, Matthias Guentert wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> Lately I changed from Fedora to Debian squeeze on amd64. A few days
> later my system started to freeze randomly. I first noticed this
> behaviour while I was copying files from my system disk to my USB
> disk, but don't think this is the culprit. After having searched high
> and low on my system I am running out of ideas. Please find bellow the
> details of my researches.

Hmmmm....
I've had a few, like 2 or 3 in 4 months time, freezes on THIS machine,
which is an AMD64, and all of them seem to have occurred when my Android
device was connected over USB.
The phone (samsung galaxy) is fickle about connecting, too.
Every single freeze occurred while *trying* to move stuff to/from this
phone.
The occurrence being rare enough, I hadn't really bothered to give it
much thought.
But your random freezes with a USB device gave me pause.
I thought it was the phone, itself, but perhaps there is an issue with
USB controller + AMD64?

./tony
--
http://www.tonybaldwin.me
all tony, all the time!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Matthias Guentert

Am 26. April 2012 00:44 schrieb Tony Baldwin <tony@tonybaldwin.org>:
> But your random freezes with a USB device gave me pause.
> I thought it was the phone, itself, but perhaps there is an issue with
> USB controller + AMD64?

What kind of USB controller are you using? Were you able to reproduce
this freeze?

$ lspci | grep -i usb
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)

Is there a way to increase the USB log level?

Thanks
Matthias

Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Curt

On 2012-04-25, Matthias Guentert <matthias.guentert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> Lately I changed from Fedora to Debian squeeze on amd64. A few days
> later my system started to freeze randomly. I first noticed this
> behaviour while I was copying files from my system disk to my USB
> disk, but don't think this is the culprit. After having searched high
> and low on my system I am running out of ideas. Please find bellow the
> details of my researches.

Well, I've been bitten a few times by the logical fallacy referred to by
the Latin phrase _post hoc ergo propter hoc_, so I'm dubious concerning
the usb trail, although I'm as ignorant as I am dubious.

For every system freeze I have ever experienced, the guilty party was my
graphics card/driver combination, notably, my nvidia card with the
closed-source driver. As it appears you have an nvidia video card, you may
wish to explore this possibility, if you haven't already.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Matthias Guentert

2012/4/30 Curt <curty@free.fr>:
> Well, I've been bitten a few times by the logical fallacy referred to by
> the Latin phrase _post hoc ergo propter hoc_, so I'm dubious concerning
> the usb trail, although I'm as ignorant as I am dubious.
>
> For every system freeze I have ever experienced, the guilty party was my
> graphics card/driver combination, notably, my nvidia card with the
> closed-source driver. *As it appears you have an nvidia video card, you may
> wish to explore this possibility, if you haven't already.

Thanks for your reply - very appreciated. Currently I am running
Windows Vista on a third harddisk to see if a hardware fault can be
excluded being the culprit. So far I did not had one freeze since
weeks running Vista. This points back to your suspicion. I will switch
back to the opensource nv driver and see if this solves the random
freezes.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Matthias Guentert

2012/5/1 Matthias Guentert <matthias.guentert@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for your reply - very appreciated. Currently I am running
> Windows Vista on a third harddisk to see if a hardware fault can be
> excluded being the culprit. So far I did not had one freeze since
> weeks running Vista. This points back to your suspicion. I will switch
> back to the opensource nv driver and see if this solves the random
> freezes.

No single freeze since four days, although the nvidia kernel module is loaded.
All I did is replace the "nvidia" string from the xorg.conf file with "nv".
It seems the nvidia driver is causing this random stops - the USB path
can be discarded.

This means both nvidia-glx versions are causing my PC to halt.

_Debian non-free repository:_

nvidia-glx version 195.36.31-6

_Backports non-free repository:_

nvidia-glx version 280.13.really.275.36-1~bpo60+2

Okay what's next? How can I provide more information / enable
debugging for this module?

Thanks in advance
Matthias

Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:56:01 +0200, Matthias wrote in message
<CABo4i4y5-=KRW57TdmjVgJVb=t=Sf-65gyQsEVk6S9YECfsjhw@mail.gmail.com>:

> 2012/5/1 Matthias Guentert <matthias.guentert@gmail.com>:
> > Thanks for your reply - very appreciated. Currently I am running
> > Windows Vista on a third harddisk to see if a hardware fault can be
> > excluded being the culprit. So far I did not had one freeze since
> > weeks running Vista. This points back to your suspicion. I will
> > switch back to the opensource nv driver and see if this solves the
> > random freezes.
>
> No single freeze since four days, although the nvidia kernel module
> is loaded. All I did is replace the "nvidia" string from the
> xorg.conf file with "nv". It seems the nvidia driver is causing this
> random stops - the USB path can be discarded.
>
> This means both nvidia-glx versions are causing my PC to halt.
>
> _Debian non-free repository:_
>
> nvidia-glx version 195.36.31-6
>
> _Backports non-free repository:_
>
> nvidia-glx version 280.13.really.275.36-1~bpo60+2
>
> Okay what's next? How can I provide more information / enable
> debugging for this module?

..ask Nvidea's support team, it's _their_ _closed_ source.

..now, if you were willing to help debug the nouveau driver
on your card, you would find a fine team of supporting
volonteers here on this list.

> Thanks in advance
> Matthias

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Curt

On 2012-05-04, Matthias Guentert <matthias.guentert@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay what's next? How can I provide more information / enable
> debugging for this module?

Upgrade to the newest stable driver (I guess you'll have to use the nvidia
installer, after purging the debian package) and newest stable kernel,
try the remedies/workarounds suggested here, if any apply:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=d8788ed4331f7e80153575f2b3bc615c& t=58498

But as the driver is closed-source, non-free, proprietary, and as Bob
Proulx would say, evil, debian development people can't help you if the
problem fails to be resolved.

That is life, as my late mother used to say, in the big city.

;-)

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Matthias Guentert

2012/5/4 Curt <curty@free.fr>:
> Upgrade to the newest stable driver (I guess you'll have to use the nvidia
> installer, after purging the debian package) and newest stable kernel,
> try the remedies/workarounds suggested here, if any apply:

Okay, I'll give the latest version a try. Let's see how stable that
one is... also I've created a thread on the nvidia forum.

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 295.49 Mon Apr 30
23:46:33 PDT 2012
GCC version: gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)

> But as the driver is closed-source, non-free, proprietary, and as Bob
> Proulx would say, evil, debian development people can't help you if the
> problem fails to be resolved.
>
> That is life, as my late mother used to say, in the big city.
>
> ;-)

Hm, I can feel some malicious pleasure there... ;-)

Any real alternatives (in terms of performance, support, opensource
drivers) to nvidia?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 4 May 2012 16:09:57 +0200, Matthias wrote in message
<CABo4i4yGehV6S-O09jGLHFSrHxn0aeqFzt9SaK+P5Scx8pAxkQ@mail.gmail.co m>:

> 2012/5/4 Curt <curty@free.fr>:
> > Upgrade to the newest stable driver (I guess you'll have to use the
> > nvidia installer, after purging the debian package) and newest
> > stable kernel, try the remedies/workarounds suggested here, if any
> > apply:
>
> Okay, I'll give the latest version a try. Let's see how stable that
> one is... also I've created a thread on the nvidia forum.
>
> $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 295.49 Mon Apr 30
> 23:46:33 PDT 2012
> GCC version: gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8)
>
> > But as the driver is closed-source, non-free, proprietary, and as
> > Bob Proulx would say, evil, debian development people can't help
> > you if the problem fails to be resolved.
> >
> > That is life, as my late mother used to say, in the big city.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> Hm, I can feel some malicious pleasure there... ;-)
>
> Any real alternatives (in terms of performance, support, opensource
> drivers) to nvidia?

..you did try nouveau?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: