Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Alan Chandler

Default Sound in my headphones - clicking of keys on keyboard....

On 25/04/12 11:58, Charlie wrote:

So that it produces constant feedback [background buzzing] and the
sound of clicking on my keyboard when typing.

I have no idea what I turned on, but can't turn it off.

I was trying to get my microphone working. Can someone please help.
It sounds like you succeeded. It reading the microphone and putting it
out through your headphones.

Sorry can't help you turn it off - but presumably doing something your
were doing to turn it on.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Archive: 4F97D9C1.9070100@chandlerfamily.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4F97D9C1.9070100@chandlerfamily.org.uk

Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Charlie

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:30:35 +1000 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
suggested this:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:58:05 +1000 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
> suggested this:
>

>>I have turned on something on my laptop using:
>>
>>Debian wheezy 3.2.0-2-686-pae using fvwm
>>
>>So that it produces constant feedback [background buzzing] and the
>>sound of clicking on my keyboard when typing.
>>
>>I have no idea what I turned on, but can't turn it off.
>>
>>I was trying to get my microphone working. Can someone please help.
>>

>Sorry to answer my own email, but the microphone works now and I've
>discovered that it was the actual microphone jack [bad connection on
>my Toshiba that was the problem so I have reinstalled all my
>alsa applications to see if I can mute this microphone. At least I no
>longer get the feedback of clicking keys coming through the mic.

Just to put this to rest. After reinstalling all the alsa applications
I was able to mute my microphone.

Sorry about all the noise. But though I feel quite silly, I don't want
anyone taking time to try to figure out that I had just turned the mic
on and didn't now how I did it so couldn't turn it off.

Thank you,
Charlie
--
** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Registered Linux User:- 329524

If you want to build a ship, do not drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea. ---- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:40:07PM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:30:35 +1000 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
> suggested this:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:58:05 +1000 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
> > suggested this:
> >

> >>I have turned on something on my laptop using:
> >>
> >>Debian wheezy 3.2.0-2-686-pae using fvwm
> >>
> >>So that it produces constant feedback [background buzzing] and the
> >>sound of clicking on my keyboard when typing.
> >>
> >>I have no idea what I turned on, but can't turn it off.
> >>
> >>I was trying to get my microphone working. Can someone please help.
> >>

> >Sorry to answer my own email, but the microphone works now and I've
> >discovered that it was the actual microphone jack [bad connection on
> >my Toshiba that was the problem so I have reinstalled all my
> >alsa applications to see if I can mute this microphone. At least I no
> >longer get the feedback of clicking keys coming through the mic.
> >

> Just to put this to rest. After reinstalling all the alsa applications
> I was able to mute my microphone.
>
> Sorry about all the noise. But though I feel quite silly, I don't want
> anyone taking time to try to figure out that I had just turned the mic
> on and didn't now how I did it so couldn't turn it off.

FYI, alsamixer has two (or more) volume controls for the microphone.
One is actually the microphone recording level, and one is the
microphone monitoring level. The monitoring can be brought down to
zero, which will prevent you from hearing what the microphone is
hearing. But the microphone may still be able to record, as long as the
recording level is set appropriately.

Hit F3 and F4 to switch between playback (for monitoring) and capture
(for recording levels) in alsamixer.

-Rob

Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Charlie

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:02:25 +0100 "Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk" suggested this:

>It sounds like you succeeded. It reading the microphone and putting
>it out through your headphones.
>
>Sorry can't help you turn it off - but presumably doing something your
>were doing to turn it on.

Thanks Alan,

I finally figured it out. I don't use sound on my system much.

Be well,
Charlie
--
** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Registered Linux User:- 329524

This is the art of courage: to see things as they are and still believe
that the victory lies not with those who avoid the bad, but those who
taste, in living awareness, every drop of the good. --- Victoria Lincoln

Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Charlie

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:40:17 -0400 "Rob Owens rowens@ptd.net"
suggested this:

>On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:40:07PM +1000, Charlie wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:30:35 +1000 "Charlie ariestao@skymesh.com.au"
>> suggested this:
>>
>> > On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:58:05 +1000 "Charlie
>> > ariestao@skymesh.com.au" suggested this:

>> >Sorry to answer my own email, but the microphone works now and I've
>> >discovered that it was the actual microphone jack [bad connection on
>> >my Toshiba that was the problem so I have reinstalled all my
>> >alsa applications to see if I can mute this microphone. At least I
>> >no longer get the feedback of clicking keys coming through the mic.
>> >

>> Just to put this to rest. After reinstalling all the alsa
>> applications I was able to mute my microphone.
>>
>> Sorry about all the noise. But though I feel quite silly, I don't
>> want anyone taking time to try to figure out that I had just turned
>> the mic on and didn't now how I did it so couldn't turn it off.
>>
>FYI, alsamixer has two (or more) volume controls for the microphone.
>One is actually the microphone recording level, and one is the
>microphone monitoring level. The monitoring can be brought down to
>zero, which will prevent you from hearing what the microphone is
>hearing. But the microphone may still be able to record, as long as
>the recording level is set appropriately.
>
>Hit F3 and F4 to switch between playback (for monitoring) and capture
>(for recording levels) in alsamixer.
>
>-Rob

Thanks for the hints Rob. It's much appreciated. I will have to use
sound more.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
magic and power in it. Begin it now. ------Goethe